Acronis Active Protection: defense against ransomware
Acronis Active Protection is an advanced anti-ransomware technology. It actively protects all the data on your systems: documents, data of all kinds and Acronis backup files. It is a technology available for Windows and Mac OS X operating systems and protects against the latest ransomware actions such as Petya, WannaCry, Locky and Osiris.
What is Ransomware?
Ransomware is a particularly painful type of malware. Malware is “hostile or intrusive software” illegally introduced into your system for malicious reasons. When ransomware infects the system, it blocks access to data. Whoever introduced the malware will then make a cash request to unlock the data. In short, the mechanism is that of redemption.
To defend against this type of attack, it is necessary to constantly monitor the activities that take place in the system.
Find the patterns
Acronis Active Protection constantly observes the patterns in how files and data are changed. A set of behaviors can be typical and expected. Another may report a suspicious process that aims to initiate hostile actions against the data.
Acronis’ approach is as follows: examine these actions and compare them with patterns of malicious behavior. This approach can be exceptionally powerful in identifying ransomware attacks, even from variants that have not yet been reported. The latest version of Acronis Active Protection adds additional behavioral patterns to improve ransomware detection.
Acronis has invested heavily in a new dedicated machine learning infrastructure used for telemetry and data processing. The first step in the process is a stack trace analysis. It is possible to detect malicious code by using the stack trace analysis of a process based on the machine learning approach.
The data to be studied and analyzed are the stack trace dumps / frames which are sent as input to the Acronis Machine Learning module. The output of the analysis will be the verdict: clean or infected data. This approach takes active protection to a new level, especially when it comes to threats never used before (called Zero Day).
The system does not require signatures of any kind, but rather creates a model of what is acceptable and what is not. In this way, when hackers will find a new vulnerability or a new approach to infiltrate the system, they will hardly be able to pass this behavior check made thanks to the models applied by Acronis.
Defense against advanced threats
Acronis Active Protection can detect very sophisticated ransomware threats that usually appear as legitimate operations. The detection of attacks takes place thanks to the application of advanced heuristics and machine learning, but not only.
In fact, special mathematical approaches are also adopted to calculate the entropy of the files, in order to understand if the file has been modified even if the header remains the same. Many anti-ransomware solutions, on the other hand, only act based on file headers.
One way that criminals could choose to compromise files would be to attack the backup software itself to corrupt the backup files it creates. To protect against this, Acronis has implemented a robust self-defense mechanism that will not allow criminals to interrupt the work of the Acronis application or the contents of the backup files. In addition, Acronis Active Protection checks the Master Boot Record of Windows-based computers. Hence, it will not allow illegitimate changes to be made to prevent the computer from starting.
How it intervenes
If the ransomware attack starts encrypting files, Acronis quickly detects and stops this process. Since Acronis is a backup solution, any data that was exposed and encrypted before the process was stopped can be recovered from a variety of sources. This is remarkable, considering that not only can anti-ransomware solutions commonly fail to terminate an attack once it has begun, they also have no way of recovering files encrypted by the attack.
Acronis Active Protection detects and deflects attacks and restores files of any size.
The methodologies detect and deflect attacks and advanced file recovery. These protection approaches are not only leading the way against criminals, but they are more innovative and advanced than any other anti-ransomware methodology available.
The Acronis solution is able to identify:
– Hackers trying to infect or compromise local or cloud backups
– Reduced attacks and usually more difficult to detect (for example, changing only a small portion of a document or a photo stored deep in the hard disk)
– Attackers who come up with creative new ways to attempt maliciously manipulating files
The application of artificial intelligence in the field of cyber security has made giant strides in defense possible and is making life extremely complicated for hackers. The search for innovative solutions is now oriented towards the implementation of machine learning to try to capture malicious behavior rather than the attacks themselves. Acronis Active Protection does this and does it effectively, offering complete and efficient protection from ransomware attacks.
The threats do not end once the security of your systems and perimeter has been verified, you must adopt constant defense and verification solutions to ensure your data in the best possible way.
- What is it for? Hadoop Security Data Lake (SDL)
- Secure Online Desktop achieves ISO 27001: the security certification for managed services
- SOCaaS and Active Defense Deception Webinar – Guide to the next cybersecurity online event
- Auditing IT della sicurezza: guida completa all’analisi proattiva di vulnerabilità e conformità
- CIS Controls and Vulnerability Assessment: practical guide to adopting best practices
- Kerberoasting: a threat to cybersecurity and how to mitigate it with Security Posture analysis
- Protect Your Business: Antivirus vs. SOC Service with EDR and Next Generation Antivirus (NGA)
- CSIRT and SOC: Differences between incident management and security monitoring
- Backup as a Service (17)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (22)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (5)
- Log Management (2)
- News (23)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (14)
- Security (190)
- Web Hosting (15)
- Interpol Arrests Smuggler With New Biometric Screening Database December 1, 2023Interpol has upgraded its biometric background check tech. It'll help catch criminals, but will it protect sensitive, immutable data belonging to the innocent?
- The European Space Agency Explores Cybersecurity for Space Industry December 1, 2023An ESA cybersecurity expert explains how space-based data and services benefit from public investment in space programs.
- The Latest Delinea Secret Server Release Boosts Usability With New Features December 1, 2023
- Flow Security Launches GenAI DLP December 1, 2023
- North Korea APT Slapped With Cyber Sanctions After Satellite Launch December 1, 2023Sanctions on Kimsuky/APT43 focuses the world on disrupting DPRK regime's sprawling cybercrime operations, expert says.
- Critical 'LogoFAIL' Bugs Offer Secure Boot Bypass for Millions of PCs December 1, 2023Hundreds of consumer and enterprise-grade x86 and ARM models from various vendors, including Intel, Acer, and Lenovo, are potentially vulnerable to bootkits and takeover.
- Japan's Space Program at Risk After Microsoft Active Directory Breach December 1, 2023The agency, known as JAXA, has shut down parts of its network as it conducts an investigation to discover the scope and impact of the breach.
- Emirates CISOs Flag Rampant Cybersecurity Gaps December 1, 2023UAE security leaders warn that people, tech, and process gaps are exposing their organizations to cybercrime.
- Saudi Companies Outsource Cybersecurity Amid 'Serious' Incidents December 1, 2023Saudi companies are seeking extra help in droves, because of a lack of tools and personnel.
- The US Needs to Follow Germany's Attack-Detection Mandate December 1, 2023A more proactive approach to fighting cyberattacks for US companies and agencies is shaping up under the CISA's proposal to emphasize real-time attack detection and response.
- SEC Consult SA-20231123 :: Uninstall Key Caching in Fortra Digital Guardian Agent Uninstaller November 27, 2023Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20231123-0 > ======================================================================= title: Uninstall Key Caching product: Fortra Digital Guardian Agent Uninstaller (Data Loss Prevention) vulnerable version: Agent:
- SEC Consult SA-20231122 :: Multiple Vulnerabilities in m-privacy TightGate-Pro November 27, 2023Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20231122-0 > ======================================================================= title: Multiple Vulnerabilities product: m-privacy TightGate-Pro vulnerable version: Rolling Release, servers with the following package versions are vulnerable: tightgatevnc < 4.1.2~1 rsbac-policy-tgpro
- Senec Inverters Home V1, V2, V3 Home & Hybrid Use of Hard-coded Credentials - CVE-2023-39169 November 27, 2023Posted by Phos4Me via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27Sent through the Full Disclosure mailing list https://nmap.org/mailman/listinfo/fulldisclosure Web Archives & RSS: https://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/
- [SYSS-2023-019] SmartNode SN200 - Unauthenticated OS Command Injection November 27, 2023Posted by Maurizio Ruchay via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27Advisory ID: SYSS-2023-019 Product: SmartNode SN200 Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA) & VoIP Gateway Manufacturer: Patton LLC Affected Version(s):
- CVE-2023-46307 November 27, 2023Posted by Kevin on Nov 27running on the remote port specified during setup
- CVE-2023-46307 November 27, 2023Posted by Kevin on Nov 27While conducting a penetration test for a client, they were running an application called etc-browser which is a public GitHub project with a Docker container. While fuzzing the web server spun up with etcd-browser (which can run on any arbitrary port), the application had a Directory Traversal vulnerability that is […]
- Survey on usage of security advisories November 27, 2023Posted by Aurich, Janik on Nov 27Dear list members, we are looking for voluntary participants for our survey, which was developed in the context of a master thesis at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg. The goal of the survey is to determine potential difficulties that may occur when dealing with security advisories. The focus of the […]
- [CVE-2023-46386, CVE-2023-46387, CVE-2023-46388, CVE-2023-46389] Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec products (3) November 27, 2023Posted by Chizuru Toyama on Nov 27[+] CVE : CVE-2023-46386, CVE-2023-46387, CVE-2023-46388, CVE-2023-46389 [+] Title : Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec L-INX Automation Servers [+] Vendor : LOYTEC electronics GmbH [+] Affected Product(s) : LINX-151, Firmware 7.2.4, LINX-212, firmware 6.2.4 [+] Affected Components : L-INX Automation Servers [+] Discovery Date :...
- [CVE-2023-46383, CVE-2023-46384, CVE-2023-46385] Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec products (2) November 27, 2023Posted by Chizuru Toyama on Nov 27[+] CVE : CVE-2023-46383, CVE-2023-46384, CVE-2023-46385 [+] Title : Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec LINX Configurator [+] Vendor : LOYTEC electronics GmbH [+] Affected Product(s) : LINX Configurator 7.4.10 [+] Affected Components : LINX Configurator [+] Discovery Date : 01-Sep-2021 [+] Publication date : 03-Nov-2023 [+]...
- Senec Inverters Home V1, V2, V3 Home & Hybrid Exposure of the Username to an Unauthorized Actor - CVE-2023-39168 November 12, 2023Posted by Phos4Me via Fulldisclosure on Nov 12Sent through the Full Disclosure mailing list https://nmap.org/mailman/listinfo/fulldisclosure Web Archives & RSS: https://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes L'impatto crescente delle minacce informatiche, su sistemi operativi privati op… https://t.co/FimxTS4o9G
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The growing impact of cyber threats, on private or corporate operating systems… https://t.co/y6G6RYA9n1
Tempo di lettura stimato: 6 minuti Today we are talking about the CTI update of our services. Data security is… https://t.co/YAZkn7iFqa
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Il tema della sicurezza delle informazioni è di grande attualità in questo peri… https://t.co/tfve5Kzr09
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The issue of information security is very topical in this historical period ch… https://t.co/TP8gvdRcrF