Acronis Active Protection: defense against ransomware
Acronis Active Protection is an advanced anti-ransomware technology. It actively protects all the data on your systems: documents, data of all kinds and Acronis backup files. It is a technology available for Windows and Mac OS X operating systems and protects against the latest ransomware actions such as Petya, WannaCry, Locky and Osiris.
What is Ransomware?
Ransomware is a particularly painful type of malware. Malware is “hostile or intrusive software” illegally introduced into your system for malicious reasons. When ransomware infects the system, it blocks access to data. Whoever introduced the malware will then make a cash request to unlock the data. In short, the mechanism is that of redemption.
To defend against this type of attack, it is necessary to constantly monitor the activities that take place in the system.
Find the patterns
Acronis Active Protection constantly observes the patterns in how files and data are changed. A set of behaviors can be typical and expected. Another may report a suspicious process that aims to initiate hostile actions against the data.
Acronis’ approach is as follows: examine these actions and compare them with patterns of malicious behavior. This approach can be exceptionally powerful in identifying ransomware attacks, even from variants that have not yet been reported. The latest version of Acronis Active Protection adds additional behavioral patterns to improve ransomware detection.
Acronis has invested heavily in a new dedicated machine learning infrastructure used for telemetry and data processing. The first step in the process is a stack trace analysis. It is possible to detect malicious code by using the stack trace analysis of a process based on the machine learning approach.
The data to be studied and analyzed are the stack trace dumps / frames which are sent as input to the Acronis Machine Learning module. The output of the analysis will be the verdict: clean or infected data. This approach takes active protection to a new level, especially when it comes to threats never used before (called Zero Day).
The system does not require signatures of any kind, but rather creates a model of what is acceptable and what is not. In this way, when hackers will find a new vulnerability or a new approach to infiltrate the system, they will hardly be able to pass this behavior check made thanks to the models applied by Acronis.
Defense against advanced threats
Acronis Active Protection can detect very sophisticated ransomware threats that usually appear as legitimate operations. The detection of attacks takes place thanks to the application of advanced heuristics and machine learning, but not only.
In fact, special mathematical approaches are also adopted to calculate the entropy of the files, in order to understand if the file has been modified even if the header remains the same. Many anti-ransomware solutions, on the other hand, only act based on file headers.
One way that criminals could choose to compromise files would be to attack the backup software itself to corrupt the backup files it creates. To protect against this, Acronis has implemented a robust self-defense mechanism that will not allow criminals to interrupt the work of the Acronis application or the contents of the backup files. In addition, Acronis Active Protection checks the Master Boot Record of Windows-based computers. Hence, it will not allow illegitimate changes to be made to prevent the computer from starting.
How it intervenes
If the ransomware attack starts encrypting files, Acronis quickly detects and stops this process. Since Acronis is a backup solution, any data that was exposed and encrypted before the process was stopped can be recovered from a variety of sources. This is remarkable, considering that not only can anti-ransomware solutions commonly fail to terminate an attack once it has begun, they also have no way of recovering files encrypted by the attack.
Acronis Active Protection detects and deflects attacks and restores files of any size.
The methodologies detect and deflect attacks and advanced file recovery. These protection approaches are not only leading the way against criminals, but they are more innovative and advanced than any other anti-ransomware methodology available.
The Acronis solution is able to identify:
– Hackers trying to infect or compromise local or cloud backups
– Reduced attacks and usually more difficult to detect (for example, changing only a small portion of a document or a photo stored deep in the hard disk)
– Attackers who come up with creative new ways to attempt maliciously manipulating files
The application of artificial intelligence in the field of cyber security has made giant strides in defense possible and is making life extremely complicated for hackers. The search for innovative solutions is now oriented towards the implementation of machine learning to try to capture malicious behavior rather than the attacks themselves. Acronis Active Protection does this and does it effectively, offering complete and efficient protection from ransomware attacks.
The threats do not end once the security of your systems and perimeter has been verified, you must adopt constant defense and verification solutions to ensure your data in the best possible way.
- The SOAR benefits: simplifying investigation and response
- Security Code Review: How the service works
- Integration of the automated response: the automations in SOCaaS
- Coordination between CTI and SOC: how to further raise the defenses
- New Cloud Server: redundant internet
- Quality certificate for the SOCaaS of SOD
- Managed Detection and Response: a new preventive approach
- CLUSIT: our collaboration for better services
- Backup as a Service (17)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (22)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (5)
- Log Management (2)
- News (21)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (15)
- Security (170)
- Web Hosting (15)
- ChromeLoader Malware Hijacks Browsers With ISO Files May 27, 2022The malware’s abuse of PowerShell makes it more dangerous, allowing for more advanced attacks such as ransomware, fileless malware, and malicious code memory injections.
- Physical Security Teams' Impact Is Far-Reaching May 27, 2022Here's how physical security teams can integrate with the business to identify better solutions to security problems.
- Taking the Danger Out of IT/OT Convergence May 27, 2022The Colonial Pipeline attack highlighted the risks of convergence. Unified security provides a safer way to proceed.
- Microsoft Unveils Dev Box, a Workstation-as-a-Service May 26, 2022Microsoft Dev Box will make it easier for developers and hybrid teams to get up and running with workstations already preconfigured with required applications and tools.
- Broadcom Snaps Up VMware in $61B Deal May 26, 2022Massive merger will put Broadcom's Symantec and VMware's Carbon Black under one roof.
- Lacework Announces Layoffs, Restructuring May 26, 2022The cloud-security company blames "seismic" market shifts for shakeup.
- Twitter Fined $150M for Security Data Misuse May 26, 2022Twitter is charged with using emails and phone numbers ostensibly collected for account security to sell targeted ads.
- The FDA's New Cybersecurity Guidance for Medical Devices Reminds Us That Safety & Security Go Hand in Hand May 26, 2022The new draft guidance on premarket submissions incorporates quality system regulations and doubles down on a life-cycle approach to product security.
- VMware, Airline Targeted as Ransomware Chaos Reigns May 26, 2022Global ransomware incidents target everything from enterprise servers to grounding an airline, with one India-based group even taking a Robin Hood approach to extortion with the "GoodWill" strain.
- Disclosing Vulnerability of CLink Office 2.0 May 23, 2022Posted by chan chan on May 23Dear Sir/Madam, I would like to submit a vulnerability found on CLink Office 2.0. I had contacted the vendor 60 days before but in vain. # Exploit Title: Multiple blind SQL injection vulnerabilities in in CLink Office 2.0 Anti-Spam management console # Date: 30 Mar 2022 # Exploit Author: […]
- [tool] tplink backup decryptor. May 23, 2022Posted by retset on May 23Yet another "tool" to decrypt a backup configs for some tplink wifi routers. Only tested on latest fw for "Archer C7". I hope that it will be useful for someone. https://github.com/ret5et/tplink_backup_decrypt_2022.bin
- SEC Consult SA-20220518-0 :: Multiple Critical Vulnerabilities in SAP® Application Server, ABAP and ABAP® Platform (Different Software Components) May 18, 2022Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on May 18SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20220518-0 > ======================================================================= title: Multiple Critical Vulnerabilities product: SAP® Application Server ABAP and ABAP® Platform (Different Software Components) vulnerable version: see section "Vulnerable / tested versions" fixed version: see SAP security notes...
- PHPIPAM 1.4.4 - CVE-2021-46426 May 18, 2022Posted by Rodolfo Augusto do Nascimento Tavares via Fulldisclosure on May 18=====[ Tempest Security Intelligence - ADV-03/2022 ]========================== PHPIPAM - Version 1.4.4 Author: Rodolfo Tavares Tempest Security Intelligence - Recife, Pernambuco - Brazil =====[ Table of Contents ]================================================== * Overview * Detailed description * Timeline of disclosure * Thanks & Acknowledgements * References =====[ Vulnerability […]
- LiquidFiles - 3.4.15 - Stored XSS - CVE-2021-30140 May 18, 2022Posted by Rodolfo Augusto do Nascimento Tavares via Fulldisclosure on May 18=====[ Tempest Security Intelligence - ADV-12/2021 ]========================== LiquidFiles - 3.4.15 Author: Rodolfo Tavares Tempest Security Intelligence - Recife, Pernambuco - Brazil =====[ Table of Contents]================================================== * Overview * Detailed description * Timeline of disclosure * Thanks & Acknowledgements * References =====[ Vulnerability...
- Watch multiple LockBit Ransom get DESTROYED Mass PWNAGE at scale! May 18, 2022Posted by malvuln on May 18Watch multiple LockBit Ransom get DESTROYED Mass PWNAGE at scale! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3l8a_HSSU
- github.com/malvuln/RansomDLLs / Catalog of current DLLs affecting vulnerable Ransomware strains. May 18, 2022Posted by malvuln on May 18Reference list for my Ransomware exploitation research. Lists current DLLs I have seen to date that some ransomware search for, which I have used successfully to hijack and intercept vulnerable strains executing arbitrary code pre-encryption. https://github.com/malvuln/RansomDLLs
- APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-2 macOS Monterey 12.4 May 17, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on May 16APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-2 macOS Monterey 12.4 macOS Monterey 12.4 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213257. AMD Available for: macOS Monterey Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges Description: A memory corruption issue was addressed […]
- APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-6 tvOS 15.5 May 17, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on May 16APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-6 tvOS 15.5 tvOS 15.5 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213254. AppleAVD Available for: Apple TV 4K, Apple TV 4K (2nd generation), and Apple TV HD Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel […]
- APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-5 watchOS 8.6 May 17, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on May 16APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-5 watchOS 8.6 watchOS 8.6 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213253. AppleAVD Available for: Apple Watch Series 3 and later Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges Description: A use after free […]
Security Awareness, la sicurezza aziendale parte dai dipendenti. L'ingegneria sociale fa spesso leva sull'ignoranza… https://t.co/nGAs70Ofn5
Torna all'inizio Scopri i nostri servizi di Cyber SecurityTroverai sicuramente quello che fa al caso tuo Se vuoi m… https://t.co/Emm5kUfFc4
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Today we see one of the latest additions to our SOCaaS, the Autonomous Threat… https://t.co/QNvHnKbEqq
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The Security Code Review (SCR) service is increasingly used by companies l… https://t.co/rJmYXr1oCj
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Il servizio di Security Code Review (SCR) è sempre più utilizzato dalle aziende… https://t.co/g2ho2C8FYh