ClearOS: Linux Server for Small Business
ClearOS (formerly ClarkConnect) is a Linux distribution, with the aim of transforming any standard PC into a dedicated firewall and Internet server / gateway. The software is a solution for small businesses, home offices and networked homes. ClearOS is based on CentOS and offers a very robust set of tools organized in easy to navigate administration pages.
Small business and servers
Small business data centers often rely on one-size-fits-all solutions for standard problems. Because’? They save on costs. Within the Linux world, there are a number of exceptional server software that can help power a business in ways that aren’t always considered.
The problem with small businesses that use Linux can often come in the form of distribution complexity. While Linux has come a long way in terms of ease of use, there can sometimes be an additional level of complexity when it comes to server software. This additional learning curve is very often easily overcome by anyone with a moderate level of computer skills. Note that for anyone who has used Linux before, this is generally a breeze.
But then, who needs a data center solution, without the burden of a high-level IT expert on hand, who could they turn to? One solution is ClearOS.
What is ClearOS
According to the presentation material of the distribution:
“ClearOS is a simple, open and affordable operating system, with an intuitive web-based graphical user interface and a marketplace with over 100 applications to choose from, with more being added every day. By leveraging open source software, you decide which apps you need and only pay for the apps and support you want. “
To verify that these statements respect reality and check that ClearOS is indeed an interesting solution, let’s see the details together.
First, you need to choose between the versions of the operating system. In fact, ClearOS offers three different platform distributions:
– Community: the free edition of ClearOS
– Home: Ideal for home offices
– Business: Ideal for small businesses, thanks to the inclusion of paid support
To find out the differences of each edition, you can consult the ClearOS function matrix here. There are also the prices on the page which, after all, are contained for the proposed service.
There is really no need to talk about the ClearOS installation process, as it is incredibly simple. If you’ve ever installed Linux, you won’t have any problems with ClearOS.
I wanted to test it with a VirtualBox on my personal computer, and in just 20 minutes I had a working virtual machine with ClearOS ready. The installation time includes the post-installation wizard and the first updates.
Once you have completed the basic installation, post-installation wizard and updates, all done from within an incredibly well-designed web interface, you are ready to start adding applications from the ClearOS Marketplace, which is ‘where the platform really shines.
Taking a look at the process of adding applications to the ClearOS server, it is evident how easy this ecosystem is to use. Once we are done with the initial setup, we are on the “ClearOS Marketplace Getting Started” page. From this screen it is possible to manage the application selection and installation process.
The operating system also comes with a couple of preconfigurations to choose from. In any case, you will have the possibility to choose through the selection of applications / services to be installed on the ClearOS server.
Available features include:
– Firewall, Networking and Security:
– Network: the firewall restricts access to systems and provides advanced features, including DMZ, NAT 1 to 1 and Port Forwarding
– Protocol: Peer-to-Peer discovery system allows you to manage the use of peer-to-peer file sharing
– Application: Intrusion Detection and Intrusion Prevention systems provide an additional layer of defense against threats to your network.
– Virtual Private Networking
– Web Proxy and Content Filter
– Email, including Webmail
– Database and Web Server
– File and print services
Some of the apps are free, while others have a cost. You have to consult the list of available apps to see if any of these apps / services meet your needs and fit your budget. Once you have selected all the applications you want to install, you can proceed with the installation.
At this point you are ready to configure the custom dashboard. If you don’t want to worry about customizing the dashboard, you can use the default one. The dashboard allows you to select what you want to view through practical drop-down menus. It is also possible to immediately start configuring newly installed applications.
One remarkable thing is that ClearOS has made configuring the LDAP service extremely easy. Normally this process can be quite a headache, but ClearOS has found a way to make it as painless as possible.
The function of ClearOS
One thing not found on ClearOS is a tool for creating a server environment like that of a Microsoft Small Business Server or its successor Windows Server. So, using applications like MS Office, via Terminal Server, will not work. But you can always install the Dropbox app for free and use their Paper Server. This, of course, is not a real alternative for a full office suite, but it is still a partial solution.
However, this is not the point of ClearOS, as the intent is more to serve a business-class server that can help protect and expand a small business network. In other words, if you are looking for an incredibly simple firewall to set up and manage, VPN, DNS, DHCP, and a well-rounded general network appliance, ClearOS is exactly what you need. If you are looking for something to replace a Samba server, ClearOS is not the solution.
ClearOS can be found among the standard SOD templates and you can then install your own VPS with ClearOS in a few seconds.
- Hadoop Open Data Model: “open” data collection
- Pass the Ticket: how to mitigate it with a SOCaaS
- Use cases of a SOCaaS for companies part 2
- Use cases of a SOCaaS for companies part 1
- NIST Cybersecurity Framework
- “Left of boom” and “right of boom”: having a winning strategy
- Smishing: a fraud similar to phishing
- Network Traffic Analyzer: an extra gear for the Next Gen SIEM
- Backup as a Service (2)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (20)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (4)
- Log Management (2)
- News (18)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (14)
- Security (14)
- Web Hosting (15)
- Pulling Back the Curtain on Bug Bounties October 26, 2021It's critical that infosec professionals and consumers understand threats and vulnerabilities, but they are being kept in the dark.
- Wardrivers Can Still Easily Crack 70% of Wi-Fi Passwords October 26, 2021Weaknesses in the current Wi-Fi standard and poorly chosen passwords allowed one wardriver to recover 70% of wireless network passwords.
- OpenText Strengthens Ransomware Resilience October 26, 2021New detection and alert functions within Carbonite Server increase data protection against ransomware.
- Forcepoint Completes Acquisition of Bitglass October 26, 2021The acquisition of Bitglass will be the third technology acquisition for Forcepoint this year.
- Jumio Launches End-to-end Orchestration for its KYX Platform October 26, 2021Platform combines digital identity proofing, compliance verification and anti-money laundering checks.
- SolarWinds Attacker Targets Cloud Service Providers in New Supply Chain Threat October 25, 2021Microsoft says the group has attacked more than 140 service providers and compromised 14 of them between May and October of this year.
- Industrial Goods & Services Tops Ransomware Targets in 2021 October 25, 2021While the industrial goods and services sector saw a decline in attacks during the third quarter, it remains the most targeted sector for ransomware this year.
- Who's In Your Wallet? Exploring Mobile Wallet Security October 25, 2021Security flaws in contactless payments for transportation systems could lead to fraud for stolen devices, researchers find.
- 5 Ways CMMC Security Requirements May Impact Universities October 25, 2021The Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification puts research universities in a position where they must validate the effectiveness of their security controls before applying for a grant or bidding on a government contract.
- How We Can Narrow the Talent Shortage in Cybersecurity October 25, 2021Filling crucial roles in cybersecurity and addressing the talent shortage requires rethinking who qualifies as a "cybersecurity professional" and rewriting traditional job descriptions.
- [ES2021-09] FreeSWITCH susceptible to Denial of Service via invalid SRTP packets October 26, 2021Posted by Sandro Gauci on Oct 26# FreeSWITCH susceptible to Denial of Service via invalid SRTP packets - Fixed versions: v1.10.7 - Enable Security Advisory: https://github.com/EnableSecurity/advisories/tree/master/ES2021-09-freeswitch-srtp-dos - Vendor Security Advisory: https://github.com/signalwire/freeswitch/security/advisories/GHSA-jh42-prph-gp36 - Other references: CVE-2021-41105 - Tested vulnerable versions:
- [ES2021-06] FreeSWITCH susceptible to Denial of Service via SIP flooding October 26, 2021Posted by Sandro Gauci on Oct 26# FreeSWITCH susceptible to Denial of Service via SIP flooding - Fixed versions: v1.10.7 - Enable Security Advisory: https://github.com/EnableSecurity/advisories/tree/master/ES2021-06-freeswitch-flood-dos - Vendor Security Advisory: https://github.com/signalwire/freeswitch/security/advisories/GHSA-jvpq-23v4-gp3m - Other references: CVE-2021-41145 - Tested vulnerable versions:
- [ES2021-08] FreeSWITCH does not authenticate SIP SUBSCRIBE requests by default October 26, 2021Posted by Sandro Gauci on Oct 26# FreeSWITCH does not authenticate SIP SUBSCRIBE requests by default - Fixed versions: v1.10.7 - Enable Security Advisory: https://github.com/EnableSecurity/advisories/tree/master/ES2021-08-freeswitch-SIP-SUBSCRIBE-without-auth - Vendor Security Advisory: https://github.com/signalwire/freeswitch/security/advisories/GHSA-g7xg-7c54-rmpj - Other references: CVE-2021-41157 - Tested vulnerable versions:
- [ES2021-05] FreeSWITCH vulnerable to SIP digest leak for configured gateways October 26, 2021Posted by Sandro Gauci on Oct 26# FreeSWITCH vulnerable to SIP digest leak for configured gateways - Fixed versions: v1.10.7 - Enable Security Advisory: https://github.com/EnableSecurity/advisories/tree/master/ES2021-05-freeswitch-vulnerable-to-SIP-digest-leak - Vendor Security Advisory: https://github.com/signalwire/freeswitch/security/advisories/GHSA-3v3f-99mv-qvj4 - Other references: CVE-2021-41158 - Tested vulnerable versions:
- VDPBW Bundeswehr - 1 Year Vulnerability Disclosure Policy of the Bundeswehr October 26, 2021Posted by info () vulnerability-lab com on Oct 26Title: 1 Year Vulnerability Disclosure Policy of the Bundeswehr - The Balance Sheet of the CISOBwChief Information Security Officer Reference: https://www.bundeswehr.de/de/organisation/cyber-und-informationsraum/aktuelles/1-jahr-vdpbw-cisobw-bilanz-5232904 Title: VDPBwVulnerability Disclosure Policy der Bundeswehr - COIN Reference: https://www.bundeswehr.de/de/security-policy/vdpbw-coin Title: Im Dienst der IT-Sicherheit (Interview 1st...
- PHP Melody v3.0 - Multiple Cross Site Web Vulnerabilities October 26, 2021Posted by info () vulnerability-lab com on Oct 26Document Title: =============== PHP Melody v3.0 - Multiple Cross Site Web Vulnerabilities References (Source): ==================== https://www.vulnerability-lab.com/get_content.php?id=2290 Bulletin: https://www.phpsugar.com/blog/2021/09/php-melody-3-0-vulnerability-report-fix/ Release Date: ============= 2021-10-20 Vulnerability Laboratory ID (VL-ID): ==================================== 2290 Common Vulnerability Scoring System:...
- Simplephpscripts Simple CMS v2.1 - Remote SQL Injection Vulnerability October 26, 2021Posted by info () vulnerability-lab com on Oct 26Document Title: =============== Simplephpscripts Simple CMS v2.1 - Remote SQL Injection Vulnerability References (Source): ==================== https://www.vulnerability-lab.com/get_content.php?id=2303 Release Date: ============= 2021-10-19 Vulnerability Laboratory ID (VL-ID): ==================================== 2303 Common Vulnerability Scoring System: ==================================== 7.1 Vulnerability Class: ==================== SQL...
- Simplephpscripts Simple CMS v2.1 - Persistent Vulnerability October 26, 2021Posted by info () vulnerability-lab com on Oct 26Document Title: =============== Simplephpscripts Simple CMS v2.1 - Persistent Vulnerability References (Source): ==================== https://www.vulnerability-lab.com/get_content.php?id=2302 Release Date: ============= 2021-10-19 Vulnerability Laboratory ID (VL-ID): ==================================== 2302 Common Vulnerability Scoring System: ==================================== 5.3 Vulnerability Class: ==================== Cross Site...
- SPA Cart CMS - Multiple SQL Injection Web Vulnerabilities October 26, 2021Posted by info () vulnerability-lab com on Oct 26Document Title: =============== SPA Cart CMS - Multiple SQL Injection Web Vulnerabilities References (Source): ==================== https://www.vulnerability-lab.com/get_content.php?id=2304 Release Date: ============= 2021-10-18 Vulnerability Laboratory ID (VL-ID): ==================================== 2304 Common Vulnerability Scoring System: ==================================== 7.3 Vulnerability Class: ==================== Script Code...
- Simplephpscripts Simple CMS v2.1 - XSS Web Vulnerability October 26, 2021Posted by info () vulnerability-lab com on Oct 26Document Title: =============== Simplephpscripts Simple CMS v2.1 - XSS Web Vulnerability References (Source): ==================== https://www.vulnerability-lab.com/get_content.php?id=2301 Release Date: ============= 2021-10-18 Vulnerability Laboratory ID (VL-ID): ==================================== 2301 Common Vulnerability Scoring System: ==================================== 5.1 Vulnerability Class: ==================== Cross Site...
Tempo di lettura: 5 minUtilizzo del Machine Learning per proteggere i dati Introdotto nel gennaio 2017, Acronis Act… https://t.co/mhqalBxm8D
Gli attacchi informatici sono numerosi e non fanno distinzione tra aziende e singoli individui quando prendono di m… https://t.co/uOucUWZf7W
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes SNYPR è uno strumento di analisi della sicurezza in grado di trasformare i Big… https://t.co/oies7e0nYY
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes Con l’avvento delle piattaforme di big data, le aziende che si occupano di sicu… https://t.co/MSvA0dPgiE
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes With the advent of big data platforms, IT security companies can now make guid… https://t.co/aTv41eq2Ir