Corporate backup solutions Self-protection tests
Corporate backup solutions: In light of the growing number of ransomware attacks in which cryptolockers stop database processes to unlock database files for encryption (Cerber, GlobeImposter, Rapid, Serpent) and they can encrypt local and network backups to request a ransom payment (Rapid, Spora), we decided to test the self-protection capabilities of the best backup solutions used in the corporate environments available for testing.
The test aims to check the sustainability of the processes and services of the products against the typical attacks on the security software described below, as well as the self-protection of the local backup and of the product files. Ransomware can encrypt configuration files and local backup files that belong to a backup program by disabling file recovery. In addition, once access to the agent or server processes is obtained, the attacker can delete backup copies of files not only locally, but also in the cloud on behalf of a backup solution.
This document is a summary of the enterprise backup solutions test report and includes a description of the test environment, a list of tested solutions and their versions, an overview of test scenarios, as well as results and conclusions based on these results. We do not classify the tested solutions and do not award any prize, but we provide the results “as is” for informational purposes only.
The tests were conducted on the virtual machines of:
– Windows 8.1 SP1 32 bit build 9600
– Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit Build 16299
– Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard 64 bit v. 6.3.9600 Build 9600
We have tested backup solutions on platforms
32 and 64 bit because the process injection techniques used in the test scenarios differ on these platforms. In addition, 32 and 64 bit product builds may contain a different set of features, including self-protection, and their implementation may depend on the architecture of the operating system.
Corporate backup solutions: The most recent versions of the following products available at the time of testing were tested:
Unified Data Protection Server
Unified Data Protection Client
6.5.4175 Aggiornamento 2 Build 667
Backup & Replication
Agent for Microsoft Windows
9.5 Aggiornamento 3
Veritas Backup Exec
Agent Utility pour Windows
16.0 Rev. 1142
16.0 Rev. 1142-1632
Each product was installed with the default settings and updated before running the test.
Corporate backup solutions – Test scenarios
The test suite includes 31 tests that simulate attacks on local backup files, product files, processes, services and cloud storage that aim to block the backup and restore service. The “Product File Protection” test category contains simple tests aimed at destroying backup and application files making it impossible to recover data encrypted by ransomware.
The second group of tests “Protection of processes and products services” is essential for self-protection since the malware can inject the malicious code into a backup agent and act on behalf of a backup solution obtaining all the necessary privileges to check the backup files. At the behest of an attacker, a malicious process can interrupt processes and services with consequent blocking of the backup and restore application
or deleting backup files on behalf of a backup solution. The latest series of tests is “Cloud backup and recovery protection” and is addressed to communication interfaces with cloud storage. The attack of DNS poisoning or the improper use of the CLI can cause the cloud backup service to be interrupted.
Corporate backup solutions – Conclusions
The purpose of the test was to verify the backup software’s self-protection capabilities to protect related files, processes, services and cloud storage from scenarios that can potentially be run by ransomware.
The results showed that most of the tested products are not ready in many cases to counter ransomware-type attacks by allowing a potential attacker to block user backups and disable backup and restore services. Only Acronis Backup has shown good results with an 87% and 81% effectiveness rate for 32-bit and 64-bit products, similarly providing complete self-protection and service sustainability features.
Download the complete department here: Nio Guard Independent Study_IT
- The SOAR benefits: simplifying investigation and response
- Security Code Review: How the service works
- Integration of the automated response: the automations in SOCaaS
- Coordination between CTI and SOC: how to further raise the defenses
- New Cloud Server: redundant internet
- Quality certificate for the SOCaaS of SOD
- Managed Detection and Response: a new preventive approach
- CLUSIT: our collaboration for better services
- Backup as a Service (17)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (22)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (5)
- Log Management (2)
- News (21)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (14)
- Security (170)
- Web Hosting (15)
- What CISOs Can Do About Brand Impersonation Scam Sites February 3, 2023Apply these nine tips to proactively fight fraudulent websites that use your brand to rip people off.
- Iran-Backed Actor Behind 'Holy Souls' Cyberattack on Charlie Hebdo, Microsoft Says February 3, 2023The January attack was in retaliation for the satirical French magazine's decision to launch a cartoon contest to lampoon Iran's Supreme Leader.
- Scores of Redis Servers Infested by Sophisticated Custom-Built Malware February 3, 2023At least 1,200 Redis servers worldwide have been infected with "HeadCrab" cryptominers since 2021.
- How the Cloud Is Shifting CISO Priorities February 3, 2023The greatly expanding attack surface created by the cloud needs to be protected.
- MITRE Releases Tool to Design Cyber-Resilient Systems February 3, 2023Engineers can use the Cyber Resiliency Engineering Framework Navigator to visuzalize their cyber-resiliency capabilities.
- Hornetsecurity Combats QR Code Phishing With Launch of New Technology February 2, 2023
- Korelock Launches IOT Smart Lock Technology Company February 2, 2023Denver-based business secures Series A Funding through partnerships with Iron Gate Capital and Kozo Keikaku Engineering.
- Cyberattack on Fintech Firm Disrupts Derivatives Trading Globally February 2, 2023The Russia-linked LockBit ransomware group claims to be behind the attack that fouled automated transactions for dozens of clients of financial technology firm ION Group.
- 6 Examples of the Evolution of a Scam Site February 2, 2023Examining some key examples of recently found fraud sites that target the lucrative retail shoe industry helps us understand how brand impersonation sites evolve.
- Rising 'Firebrick Ostrich' BEC Group Launches Industrial-Scale Cyberattacks February 2, 2023The group's wanton attacks demonstrate that business email compromise is everything a hacker can want in one package: low risk, high reward, quick, easy, and low effort.
- Trovent Security Advisory 2203-01 / Micro Focus GroupWise transmits session ID in URL January 31, 2023Posted by Stefan Pietsch on Jan 30# Trovent Security Advisory 2203-01 # ##################################### Micro Focus GroupWise transmits session ID in URL ################################################# Overview ######## Advisory ID: TRSA-2203-01 Advisory version: 1.0 Advisory status: Public Advisory URL: https://trovent.io/security-advisory-2203-01 Affected product: Micro Focus GroupWise Affected version: prior to 18.4.2 Vendor: Micro Focus, https://www.microfocus.com...
- APPLE-SA-2023-01-24-1 tvOS 16.3 January 27, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Jan 26APPLE-SA-2023-01-24-1 tvOS 16.3 tvOS 16.3 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213601. AppleMobileFileIntegrity Available for: Apple TV 4K (all models) and Apple TV HD Impact: An app may be able to access user-sensitive data Description: This issue was addressed […]
- [SYSS-2022-047] Razer Synapse - Local Privilege Escalation January 27, 2023Posted by Oliver Schwarz via Fulldisclosure on Jan 26Advisory ID: SYSS-2022-047 Product: Razer Synapse Manufacturer: Razer Inc. Affected Version(s): Versions before 3.7.0830.081906 Tested Version(s): 3.7.0731.072516 Vulnerability Type: Improper Certificate Validation (CWE-295) Risk Level: High Solution Status: Open Manufacturer Notification: 2022-08-02 Solution Date: 2022-09-06 Public Disclosure:...
- t2'23: Call For Papers 2023 (Helsinki, Finland) January 24, 2023Posted by Tomi Tuominen via Fulldisclosure on Jan 23Call For Papers 2023 Tired of your bosses suspecting conference trips to exotic locations being just a ploy to partake in Security Vacation Club? Prove them wrong by coming to Helsinki, Finland on May 4-5 2023! Guaranteed lack of sunburn, good potential for rain or slush. In […]
- Re: HNS-2022-01 - HN Security Advisory - Multiple vulnerabilities in Solaris dtprintinfo and libXm/libXpm January 24, 2023Posted by Marco Ivaldi on Jan 23Hello again, Just a quick update. Mitre has assigned the following additional CVE IDs: * CVE-2023-24039 - Stack-based buffer overflow in libXm ParseColors * CVE-2023-24040 - Printer name injection and heap memory disclosure We have updated the advisory accordingly: https://github.com/hnsecurity/vulns/blob/main/HNS-2022-01-dtprintinfo.txt Regards, Marco
- APPLE-SA-2023-01-23-8 Safari 16.3 January 24, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Jan 23APPLE-SA-2023-01-23-8 Safari 16.3 Safari 16.3 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213600. WebKit Available for: macOS Big Sur and macOS Monterey Impact: Processing maliciously crafted web content may lead to arbitrary code execution Description: The issue was addressed with […]
- APPLE-SA-2023-01-23-7 watchOS 9.3 January 24, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Jan 23APPLE-SA-2023-01-23-7 watchOS 9.3 watchOS 9.3 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213599. AppleMobileFileIntegrity Available for: Apple Watch Series 4 and later Impact: An app may be able to access user-sensitive data Description: This issue was addressed by enabling hardened […]
- APPLE-SA-2023-01-23-6 macOS Big Sur 11.7.3 January 24, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Jan 23APPLE-SA-2023-01-23-6 macOS Big Sur 11.7.3 macOS Big Sur 11.7.3 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213603. AppleMobileFileIntegrity Available for: macOS Big Sur Impact: An app may be able to access user-sensitive data Description: This issue was addressed by enabling […]
- APPLE-SA-2023-01-23-5 macOS Monterey 12.6.3 January 24, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Jan 23APPLE-SA-2023-01-23-5 macOS Monterey 12.6.3 macOS Monterey 12.6.3 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213604. AppleMobileFileIntegrity Available for: macOS Monterey Impact: An app may be able to access user-sensitive data Description: This issue was addressed by enabling hardened runtime. CVE-2023-23499: […]
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes L'impatto crescente delle minacce informatiche, su sistemi operativi privati op… https://t.co/FimxTS4o9G
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The growing impact of cyber threats, on private or corporate operating systems… https://t.co/y6G6RYA9n1
Tempo di lettura stimato: 6 minuti Today we are talking about the CTI update of our services. Data security is… https://t.co/YAZkn7iFqa
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Il tema della sicurezza delle informazioni è di grande attualità in questo peri… https://t.co/tfve5Kzr09
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The issue of information security is very topical in this historical period ch… https://t.co/TP8gvdRcrF