IT monitoring system – Operation
Once you set up an IT development and management environment, it can be difficult to keep everything under control. IT monitoring systems come in handy, specifically designed to keep the entire system monitored.
The monitoring system of an ICT infrastructure allows you to report any anomalies that may occur within the components of the IT network. In this world, it is easy to predict and resolve problems before they can cause a service outage.
Monitoring system in practice
In the practice of an IT operator, the monitoring system is the equivalent of a dashboard for a motorist.
Modern cars have sensors and controls for every measurable value in the car. Thanks to a sensor system and a central computer for signal management, any failure or malfunction is signaled immediately. When a certain warning light comes on, or the sound of a certain buzzer sounds, the driver knows that something is not working as it should. In this way serious problems can also be avoided.
A monitoring system works with the same intentions. A set of software components, installed on the various machines connected together in the infrastructure, controls the correct operation by measuring certain parameters. The result is that a system collapses and stops functioning due to malfunctions that have gone unnoticed.
How an IT monitoring system works
Perche’ il sistema di monitoraggio funzioni correttamente, e’ necessario installare sulle macchine dei software agent. Queste applicazioni, disponibili per ogni tipo di sistema operativo, tengono sotto controllo i parametri della macchine e inviano le informazioni a un software che e’ preposto per la raccolta. Questo, chiamato server, dopo la raccolta dei dati inviati dagli agenti, mostra i risultati dei rilevamenti attraverso della grafica per renderli facili da consultare.
I componenti del sistema di monitoraggio comunicano tra di loro in modo sicuro. Nel sistema offerto dalla Secure Online Desktop (SOD), Zabbix, questo avviene accettando solo connessioni da IP autorizzati. Con il sistema di monitoring di SOD, inoltre, e’ possibile anche un controllo agent-less, cioe’ senza il bisogno di installare alcun software agent sulle macchine controllate.
La risposta semplice alla domanda e’: per prevenire interruzioni di servizio e danni fisici alle macchine fisiche, seppur queste potrebbero essere di competenza esclusiva del provider. La salute delle architetture IT utilizzate per fornire un servizio ai clienti, e’ importante quanto il servizio stesso.
Il segreto e’ avere tutte le risorse sotto controllo. Questo include l’hardware cosi’ come il software utilizzato.
In particolare e’ bene tenere a mente che molti fattori entrano in gioco quando parliamo di efficienza di un sistema. Per esempio il carico di lavoro di un server, i suoi tempi di risposta e le performance dei database coinvolti possono influenzare l’esperienza dell’utente finale.
Strategia d’uso di un sistema di IT monitoring
After installing the software needed to collect and process data on the machines involved, it is time to prepare a solid system control strategy.
The steps are not many, but all fundamental for maintaining the effectiveness of the control high.
1) Data collection
In the first step it is necessary to verify that the data are: available, collected and usable for subsequent analysis.
Obviously, the first thing to do is to collect data. If you don’t have the data, it can’t be analyzed. Make sure that the data collected is usable and relevant to achieving your goals.
2) Identification of the parameters
In the second step, thanks to a first analysis of the systems, the “normal” performances are identified for the machines and applications involved.
By setting the monitoring on the application performance level for each metric, you can compare the performance of the infrastructure in real time, having a basis of comparison to identify possible anomalies.
3) Alarm levels
The time has come to identify what the parameter alarm levels are and consequently which thresholds to set before receiving a malfunction warning. The approach is possible in two ways: it is based on generic statistical thresholds or on the deviation of the basic services analyzed in step 2.
It is not easy to decide which approach to use. To avoid triggering a disproportionate number of warnings, you should be able to specify what the acceptable deviation is for each metric.
4) Data analysis
Finally, the data must be analyzed to verify that the decisions made in the previous steps are always valid and that the systems are operating efficiently.
A proactive analysis is essential to always keep the architectures involved in order. This ensures that future problems that can negatively impact customer services are avoided.
An efficient and well-structured monitoring system is an indispensable prerogative for IT infrastructures.
On the market there are various possibilities to implement this service to your system. SOD offers a web control console through Zabbix, an enterprise solution for system monitoring.
Give yourself the advantage of improving the quality of your services without sacrificing operating costs.
How to have your computer network under control
- The SOAR benefits: simplifying investigation and response
- Security Code Review: How the service works
- Integration of the automated response: the automations in SOCaaS
- Coordination between CTI and SOC: how to further raise the defenses
- New Cloud Server: redundant internet
- Quality certificate for the SOCaaS of SOD
- Managed Detection and Response: a new preventive approach
- CLUSIT: our collaboration for better services
- Backup as a Service (17)
- Acronis Cloud Backup (11)
- Veeam Cloud Connect (4)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (22)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (5)
- Log Management (2)
- News (21)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (14)
- Security (170)
- Cyber Threat Intelligence (CTI) (6)
- Ethical Phishing (8)
- Penetration Test (5)
- SOCaaS (55)
- Vulnerabilities (84)
- Web Hosting (15)
- PyPI's 2FA Requirements Don't Go Far Enough, Researchers Say June 2, 2023The Python Package Index will require developers to better secure their accounts as cyberattacks ramp up, but protecting the software supply chain will take more than that.
- 'PostalFurious' SMS Attacks Target UAE Citizens for Data Theft June 2, 2023SMS campaigns targeting members of the public in the United Arab Emirates have been detected.
- 'Picture-in-Picture' Obfuscation Spoofs Delta, Kohl's for Credential Harvesting June 2, 2023A recent campaign tricks victims into visiting credential harvesting sites by hiding malicious URLs behind photos advertising deals from trusted brands.
- Streamers Ditch Netflix for Dark Web After Password Sharing Ban June 2, 2023Disgruntled users are pursuing offers for "full Netflix access" at steeply discounted rates.
- Want Sustainable Security? Find Middle Ground Between Tech & Education June 2, 2023The winning recipe for sustainable security combines strategic user education and tactical automation of well-constructed processes.
- Apple Zero-Days, iMessage Used in 4-Year, Ongoing Spying Effort June 2, 2023Russia's FSB intelligence agency says the zero-click attacks range far beyond Kaspersky, and it has blamed them on the United States' NSA. Those allegations are thus far uncorroborated.
- How CISOs Can Manage the Intersection of Security, Privacy, And Trust June 2, 2023Integrating a subject rights request tool with security and compliance solutions can help identify potential data conflicts more efficiently and with greater accuracy.
- DNB Strengthens its Network Security Posture and Productivity With Ericsson Security Manager Solution June 1, 2023
- Cyversity and United Airlines to Provide Cybersecurity Training Scholarships to Cyversity Members June 1, 2023Program designed to equip women and underrepresented individuals with the necessary skills and knowledge to succeed in cybersecurity.
- Tel Aviv Stock Exchange Selects CardinalOps to Reduce Risk of Breaches Due to Undetected Attacks June 1, 2023Enables financial services firm to operationalize MITRE ATT&CK with Splunk and eliminate detection coverage gaps based on organizational risk and priorities.
- [CVE-2023-29459] FC Red Bull Salzburg App "at.redbullsalzburg.android.AppMode.Default.Splash.SplashActivity" Arbitrary URL Loading June 2, 2023Posted by Julien Ahrens (RCE Security) on Jun 02RCE Security Advisory https://www.rcesecurity.com 1. ADVISORY INFORMATION ======================= Product: FC Red Bull Salzburg App Vendor URL: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=laola.redbull Type: Improper Authorization in Handler for Custom URL Scheme [CWE-939] Date found: 2023-04-06 Date published: 2023-06-01 CVSSv3 Score: 6.1 (CVSS:3.1/AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:R/S:C/C:L/I:L/A:N) CVE: CVE-2023-29459...
- [RT-SA-2022-004] STARFACE: Authentication with Password Hash Possible June 1, 2023Posted by RedTeam Pentesting GmbH on Jun 01Advisory: STARFACE: Authentication with Password Hash Possible RedTeam Pentesting discovered that the web interface of STARFACE as well as its REST API allows authentication using the SHA512 hash of the password instead of the cleartext password. While storing password hashes instead of cleartext passwords in an application's database […]
- CVE-2022-48336 - Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (PRDiagParseAndStoreData @ 0x5cc8) May 30, 2023Posted by Cyber Intel Security on May 301. INFORMATION -------------- [+] CVE : CVE-2022-48336 [+] Title : Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (PRDiagParseAndStoreData @ 0x5cc8) [+] Vendor : Google [+] Device : Nexus 6 [+] Affected component : Widevine [+] Publication date : March 2023 [+] Credits : CyberIntel Team 2. AFFECTED VERSIONS -------------------- 5.0.0 […]
- CVE-2022-48335 - Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (PRDiagVerifyProvisioning @ 0x5f90) May 30, 2023Posted by Cyber Intel Security on May 301. INFORMATION -------------- [+] CVE : CVE-2022-48335 [+] Title : Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (PRDiagVerifyProvisioning @ 0x5f90) [+] Vendor : Google [+] Device : Nexus 6 [+] Affected component : Widevine [+] Publication date : March 2023 [+] Credits : CyberIntel Team 2. AFFECTED VERSIONS -------------------- 5.0.0 […]
- CVE-2022-48334 - Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (drm_verify_keys @ 0x7370) May 30, 2023Posted by Cyber Intel Security on May 301. INFORMATION -------------- [+] CVE : CVE-2022-48334 [+] Title : Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (drm_verify_keys @ 0x7370) [+] Vendor : Google [+] Device : Nexus 6 [+] Affected component : Widevine [+] Publication date : March 2023 [+] Credits : CyberIntel Team 2. AFFECTED VERSIONS -------------------- 5.0.0 […]
- CVE-2022-48333 - Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (drm_verify_keys @ 0x730c) May 30, 2023Posted by Cyber Intel Security on May 301. INFORMATION -------------- [+] CVE : CVE-2022-48333 [+] Title : Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (drm_verify_keys @ 0x730c) [+] Vendor : Google [+] Device : Nexus 6 [+] Affected component : Widevine [+] Publication date : March 2023 [+] Credits : CyberIntel Team 2. AFFECTED VERSIONS -------------------- 5.0.0 […]
- CVE-2022-48332 - Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (drm_save_keys @ 0x6a18) May 30, 2023Posted by Cyber Intel Security on May 301. INFORMATION -------------- [+] CVE : CVE-2022-48332 [+] Title : Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (drm_save_keys @ 0x6a18) [+] Vendor : Google [+] Device : Nexus 6 [+] Affected component : Widevine [+] Publication date : March 2023 [+] Credits : CyberIntel Team 2. AFFECTED VERSIONS -------------------- 5.0.0 […]
- CVE-2022-48331 - Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (drm_save_keys @ 0x69b0) May 30, 2023Posted by Cyber Intel Security on May 301. INFORMATION -------------- [+] CVE : CVE-2022-48331 [+] Title : Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (drm_save_keys @ 0x69b0) [+] Vendor : Google [+] Device : Nexus 6 [+] Affected component : Widevine [+] Publication date : March 2023 [+] Credits : CyberIntel Team 2. AFFECTED VERSIONS -------------------- 5.0.0 […]
- SCHUTZWERK-SA-2022-001: Cross-Site-Scripting in Papaya Medical Viewer May 30, 2023Posted by Lennert Preuth via Fulldisclosure on May 30Title ===== SCHUTZWERK-SA-2022-001: Cross-Site-Scripting in Papaya Medical Viewer Status ====== PUBLISHED Version ======= 1.0 CVE reference ============= CVE-2023-33255 Link ==== https://www.schutzwerk.com/advisories/SCHUTZWERK-SA-2022-001/ Text-only version: https://www.schutzwerk.com/advisories/SCHUTZWERK-SA-2022-001.txt Further SCHUTZWERK advisories: https://www.schutzwerk.com/blog/tags/advisories/ Affected products/vendor...
- [RT-SA-2023-005] Pydio Cells: Server-Side Request Forgery May 30, 2023Posted by RedTeam Pentesting GmbH on May 30For longer running processes, Pydio Cells allows for the creation of jobs, which are run in the background. The job "remote-download" can be used to cause the backend to send a HTTP GET request to a specified URL and save the response to a new file. The response […]
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes L'impatto crescente delle minacce informatiche, su sistemi operativi privati op… https://t.co/FimxTS4o9G
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The growing impact of cyber threats, on private or corporate operating systems… https://t.co/y6G6RYA9n1
Tempo di lettura stimato: 6 minuti Today we are talking about the CTI update of our services. Data security is… https://t.co/YAZkn7iFqa
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Il tema della sicurezza delle informazioni è di grande attualità in questo peri… https://t.co/tfve5Kzr09
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The issue of information security is very topical in this historical period ch… https://t.co/TP8gvdRcrF
Copyright © 2011 Secure Online Desktop s.r.l. All Rights Reserved.