Machine learning and cybersecurity: UEBA applications and security
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
The cost of cybercrime has now outstripped the ability to keep up. Gartner, a multinational security and analytics company in the field of technology, predicted that world spending on cybersecurity will be 16 times lower than damage caused. To address this challenge, organizations are now turning to machine learning and artificial intelligence for cybersecurity, trying to fill in the gaps.
The vast majority of malware targets known vulnerabilities, but botnets often go unnoticed within the victim organizations for around 12 days. The problem in many cases is the scarcity of resources a arrangement.
The attack surface has expanded in recent years with the adoption of IoT devices and the spread of BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) work environments. This, combined with the increasing sophistication of the attacks and increasing the security skills gap, has overwhelmed many teams.
In response, service providers MSSP are increasingly implementing a machine learning system in their cybersecurity solutions. This is certainly an interesting field and many security chiefs are looking for a permanent solution in the fight against cybercriminals. But the question is whether the machine learning offered by artificial intelligence can add new value to the realm of security.
Threat detection and prevention
Most companies are operating with a standard security kit. Their rooms are filled with devices that claim they can detect and prevent the latest threats through signature-based detection, predefined policies or custom configurations. Sensors in this category include firewall , DLP ( Data Loss Prevention ), IPS ( Intrusion Prevention System ) and WCF ( Web Content Filter ) . An alarming consideration, as these sensors continue to be adopted in large numbers, many of them may not be configured correctly .
Furthermore, many of these devices operate in complete isolation , unable to share or correlate information or respond to threats with any kind of coordinated strategy. Consequently, controlling these devices also requires an extra layer of sensors , along with additional members of the security team. Of course, more sensors and more data require more people and given the current security skills shortage, this strategy is unsustainable in the long run.
Through a complete system such as a SOC , however, this does not happen. The collection, correlation and analysis take place in a coordinated way in a SOAR (Security Orchestration, Automation and Response) designed to be a unique workflow. Part of these tasks is done by artificial intelligence and machine learning mess and in the service of cybersecurity . The aim is to analyze user behavior and identify anomalies, as well as learn from past analyzes.
Machine learning for cybersecurity
Machine Learning (ML) is a subset of AI (Artificial Intelligence). AI and ML can enhance our human capabilities by allowing us to dig through large datasets and locate patterns behavior or signals that would be nearly impossible for humans to find. This force multiplier allows technicians at their disposal to identify unusual behaviors. Then the behavioral analysis with UEBA (User Entity Behavior Analytics) tools for safety will do the rest. Mundane and repetitive tasks can also be automated with machine learning, allowing scarce cybersecurity staff resources to focus on higher-value tasks.
UEBA and security
Machine learning and artificial intelligence are based on so-called “big data”. Their efficiency and accuracy improve with the amount of data passed to them . The important thing, however, is to collect the right data. This is where UEBA security systems come in. . The combination of accurate and essential behavioral data with machine learning is the strength of this cybersecurity system. This combination allows you to accurately monitor users, providing deep visibility into what they do on a regular basis .
Once a behavior routine has been established, when a user takes actions that the system considers abnormal , a notification is generated. The operations team is thus notified of any action outside the routines defined . If the detected activity is legitimate, analysts can simply label the activity as part of the routine . Machine learning integrates that data into subsequent data analysis for corporate cybersecurity . The crucial step is normalizing behavior , which ensures that that precise action will no longer generate notifications.
Obviously, in the early stages of system installation, the notifications will be numerous . As AI reduces these false positives by “learning”, whenever moves away from normal behavior, l and notifications become more urgent for safety.
The benefits of combining UEBA, machine learning and security
The use of machine learning together with user behavior data provides a level of proactivity to cybersecurity that is not possible when relying on traditional sign-based detection and prevention systems . This is because you are able to detect subtle changes in behavior that are difficult to detect with traditional systems. It is simply not possible to configure a system with every single permutation of rules to detect all attacks.
Detecting low-level reconnaissance activities using UEBA and machine learning is far more likely to trigger your spider senses than other methods. This provides a huge advantage, making it much more difficult for attackers to evade control by flying under any rules-based radar.
The added value
The advantages of using a UEBA security solution built on a machine learning platform for cybersecurity are many. Because their ability to manage network activity routines is refined, not only they can detect abnormal changes in behavior, but this information can become part of a proactive process , identifying and preventing certain behaviors before they occur.
But perhaps most importantly, machine learning is entering the scene at a very sensitive time for cybersecurity. The number of analysts needed to sift through the data by hand and identify threats is exceeding the number of professionals available. Removing the man from a task for which he is not particularly suitable , is free to focus on areas where it can add value, such as further developing cybersecurity protocols.
So, does machine learning add value to cybersecurity? We really believe so.
Costs and proposed solutions
In terms of costs in general, with a UEBA system maintenance is reduced and does not require the hiring of new professionals, especially if you consider the use of the service in SaaS solution.
We at SOD offer the machine learning and UEBA system, together with a SIEM Next Gen in an ideal solution for those who do not want to invest in the installation of dedicated hardware . Our SOC as a Service is designed to optimize your investment and maximize the return in terms of quality of security procedures.
To find out more, visit the service page or contact us to find out how this solution can be useful for your business. We will answer all your doubts.
- What is it for? Hadoop Security Data Lake (SDL)
- Secure Online Desktop achieves ISO 27001: the security certification for managed services
- SOCaaS and Active Defense Deception Webinar – Guide to the next cybersecurity online event
- Auditing IT della sicurezza: guida completa all’analisi proattiva di vulnerabilità e conformità
- CIS Controls and Vulnerability Assessment: practical guide to adopting best practices
- Kerberoasting: a threat to cybersecurity and how to mitigate it with Security Posture analysis
- Protect Your Business: Antivirus vs. SOC Service with EDR and Next Generation Antivirus (NGA)
- CSIRT and SOC: Differences between incident management and security monitoring
- Backup as a Service (17)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (22)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (5)
- Log Management (2)
- News (23)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (14)
- Security (190)
- Web Hosting (15)
- Interpol Arrests Smuggler With New Biometric Screening Database December 1, 2023Interpol has upgraded its biometric background check tech. It'll help catch criminals, but will it protect sensitive, immutable data belonging to the innocent?
- The European Space Agency Explores Cybersecurity for Space Industry December 1, 2023An ESA cybersecurity expert explains how space-based data and services benefit from public investment in space programs.
- The Latest Delinea Secret Server Release Boosts Usability With New Features December 1, 2023
- Flow Security Launches GenAI DLP December 1, 2023
- North Korea APT Slapped With Cyber Sanctions After Satellite Launch December 1, 2023Sanctions on Kimsuky/APT43 focuses the world on disrupting DPRK regime's sprawling cybercrime operations, expert says.
- Critical 'LogoFAIL' Bugs Offer Secure Boot Bypass for Millions of PCs December 1, 2023Hundreds of consumer and enterprise-grade x86 and ARM models from various vendors, including Intel, Acer, and Lenovo, are potentially vulnerable to bootkits and takeover.
- Japan's Space Program at Risk After Microsoft Active Directory Breach December 1, 2023The agency, known as JAXA, has shut down parts of its network as it conducts an investigation to discover the scope and impact of the breach.
- Emirates CISOs Flag Rampant Cybersecurity Gaps December 1, 2023UAE security leaders warn that people, tech, and process gaps are exposing their organizations to cybercrime.
- Saudi Companies Outsource Cybersecurity Amid 'Serious' Incidents December 1, 2023Saudi companies are seeking extra help in droves, because of a lack of tools and personnel.
- The US Needs to Follow Germany's Attack-Detection Mandate December 1, 2023A more proactive approach to fighting cyberattacks for US companies and agencies is shaping up under the CISA's proposal to emphasize real-time attack detection and response.
- SEC Consult SA-20231123 :: Uninstall Key Caching in Fortra Digital Guardian Agent Uninstaller November 27, 2023Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20231123-0 > ======================================================================= title: Uninstall Key Caching product: Fortra Digital Guardian Agent Uninstaller (Data Loss Prevention) vulnerable version: Agent:
- SEC Consult SA-20231122 :: Multiple Vulnerabilities in m-privacy TightGate-Pro November 27, 2023Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20231122-0 > ======================================================================= title: Multiple Vulnerabilities product: m-privacy TightGate-Pro vulnerable version: Rolling Release, servers with the following package versions are vulnerable: tightgatevnc < 4.1.2~1 rsbac-policy-tgpro
- Senec Inverters Home V1, V2, V3 Home & Hybrid Use of Hard-coded Credentials - CVE-2023-39169 November 27, 2023Posted by Phos4Me via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27Sent through the Full Disclosure mailing list https://nmap.org/mailman/listinfo/fulldisclosure Web Archives & RSS: https://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/
- [SYSS-2023-019] SmartNode SN200 - Unauthenticated OS Command Injection November 27, 2023Posted by Maurizio Ruchay via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27Advisory ID: SYSS-2023-019 Product: SmartNode SN200 Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA) & VoIP Gateway Manufacturer: Patton LLC Affected Version(s):
- CVE-2023-46307 November 27, 2023Posted by Kevin on Nov 27running on the remote port specified during setup
- CVE-2023-46307 November 27, 2023Posted by Kevin on Nov 27While conducting a penetration test for a client, they were running an application called etc-browser which is a public GitHub project with a Docker container. While fuzzing the web server spun up with etcd-browser (which can run on any arbitrary port), the application had a Directory Traversal vulnerability that is […]
- Survey on usage of security advisories November 27, 2023Posted by Aurich, Janik on Nov 27Dear list members, we are looking for voluntary participants for our survey, which was developed in the context of a master thesis at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg. The goal of the survey is to determine potential difficulties that may occur when dealing with security advisories. The focus of the […]
- [CVE-2023-46386, CVE-2023-46387, CVE-2023-46388, CVE-2023-46389] Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec products (3) November 27, 2023Posted by Chizuru Toyama on Nov 27[+] CVE : CVE-2023-46386, CVE-2023-46387, CVE-2023-46388, CVE-2023-46389 [+] Title : Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec L-INX Automation Servers [+] Vendor : LOYTEC electronics GmbH [+] Affected Product(s) : LINX-151, Firmware 7.2.4, LINX-212, firmware 6.2.4 [+] Affected Components : L-INX Automation Servers [+] Discovery Date :...
- [CVE-2023-46383, CVE-2023-46384, CVE-2023-46385] Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec products (2) November 27, 2023Posted by Chizuru Toyama on Nov 27[+] CVE : CVE-2023-46383, CVE-2023-46384, CVE-2023-46385 [+] Title : Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec LINX Configurator [+] Vendor : LOYTEC electronics GmbH [+] Affected Product(s) : LINX Configurator 7.4.10 [+] Affected Components : LINX Configurator [+] Discovery Date : 01-Sep-2021 [+] Publication date : 03-Nov-2023 [+]...
- Senec Inverters Home V1, V2, V3 Home & Hybrid Exposure of the Username to an Unauthorized Actor - CVE-2023-39168 November 12, 2023Posted by Phos4Me via Fulldisclosure on Nov 12Sent through the Full Disclosure mailing list https://nmap.org/mailman/listinfo/fulldisclosure Web Archives & RSS: https://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes L'impatto crescente delle minacce informatiche, su sistemi operativi privati op… https://t.co/FimxTS4o9G
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The growing impact of cyber threats, on private or corporate operating systems… https://t.co/y6G6RYA9n1
Tempo di lettura stimato: 6 minuti Today we are talking about the CTI update of our services. Data security is… https://t.co/YAZkn7iFqa
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Il tema della sicurezza delle informazioni è di grande attualità in questo peri… https://t.co/tfve5Kzr09
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The issue of information security is very topical in this historical period ch… https://t.co/TP8gvdRcrF