Managed Detection and Response: a new preventive approach
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
The constant use of communications over the network in a corporate context makes it essential to take precautions for computer security. As we have seen on other occasions, the dangers can come from different fronts: phishing , ransomware , data breach , etc. The implementation of new strategies such as Managed Detection and Response allows to mitigate risks and identify potential threats.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at this new approach, focusing on advanced threats and the benefits of this new approach for businesses.
Advanced-persistent-threats and SIEMs
A search of CardinalOPS , carried out on Fortune 1000 companies, highlights how companies using a system SIEM , however, encounter problems of cyber attacks. This is due, as Yair Manor, co-founder of CardinalOPS, in part to the visibility . Basically, the big companies have no real knowledge of the extent of their infrastructures and this leaves some openings from which it is possible to enter.
Systems with SIEM implementation, although they guarantee good IT security, are often mishandled by internal company technicians. Research shows that only 16% of standard threat protection techniques are actually applied by employees . Interesting data that show how an average of 25% of SIEM rules are violated or even never activated by security officers. It is therefore not easy to determine what are the best criteria to apply once the cyber attacks have occurred.
Among the 1000 companies surveyed, many of them invest considerable capital, in the billions of dollars, in order to identify the greatest number of correlations and events related to the corporate attack.
The process of constant improvement of SIEM systems underlines how this can be a real solution with a centralization and rationalization of the flow of incidents. In addition to choosing an effective security system, it is essential to have experienced technicians to be able to use the tools correctly.
Managed Detection Services & amp; Response: what are they
As noted in the previous lines, a SIEM-based system is effective, but not foolproof . In a situation where there is uncertainty of reliability, a new strategy is born to mitigate the risk. Specifically, there was the introduction of the Security Orchestration, Automation & amp; Response (SOAR) in SOCs, capable of automating repetitive workloads and detecting false positives. We also talked about it in a specific article in which we analyzed the advantages of this approach.
As it is easy to deduce, not all companies have implemented an efficient SOC system in their company, although it is now possible to find “ as a Service ” versions such as what we offer .
In this context, where the ability to identify the anomalous threat in the shortest possible time is essential, an innovative strategy is placed: Managed Detection & amp; Response (MDR) .
This service strategy is about identifying the threat as quickly as possible and containing it before it reaches its maximum level . There is therefore a change of approach due to the need to monitor potential threats around the clock. This is possible with a dedicated service capable of carrying out surveys 24 hours a day and for the whole week .
This approach implements an advanced, intelligent analysis aimed at reporting and solving the problem. Companies that choose our SOCaaS can take advantage of a service capable of speeding up the collection process and data analysis, freeing them from potential threats .
It should also be considered that the automation of the collection and analysis phases lowers maintenance prices for the company’s IT department. An advantage that cannot be ignored, offered by the decentralization of security services, such as SOCaaS from SOD.
The advantages of MDR
In order to fully understand the potential of Managed Detection and Response, it is advisable to analyze the concrete benefits that individuals and companies find in this service.
Organizations using an MDR solution can immediately reduce detection time (and therefore response time). Threats can be identified in minutes, giving you the ability to take immediate action.
But reducing time-to-detect from months to minutes isn’t the only advantage of an MDR. Companies can also:
- Increase resilience to potential attacks by optimizing the security configuration and eliminating rogue systems .
- Identify and stop hidden and sophisticated threats through a continuous threat hunting .
- Respond to threats more effectively and restore endpoints to a known state through guided response and managed remediation.
- Redirect personnel from response work to reactive and repetitive incidents towards more strategic projects.
The incidence of ransomware
Companies know very well that one of the most difficult problems to eradicate within the corporate IT context, is the ransomware . A Managed Detection and Response strategy can defeat these threats and better manage phishing campaigns. Although employees may have a good background in cybersecurity, in many cases they are prone to trivial errors . In this regard, we recommend that you evaluate our ethical phishing service, to focus on training as a weapon against phishing .
Companies that do not have a dedicated team, in many cases manage cybersecurity with superficiality, belittling and underestimating the simplest cyber attacks. Being able to preventively eliminate a potential problem is a benefit that should not be underestimated, especially if you are bound to a continuous flow of incoming and outgoing data.
The MDR strategy aims to prevent attacks and not to eradicate them once they are unassailable. Unfortunately, dealing with a cyber attack is particularly expensive, not only due to the difficulty of recovering the lost information, but also to restore its correct functioning.
A prevention service is the ideal answer to free yourself from potential dangers , protecting not only your company, but also the employees who can become victims in turn.
Conclusions: a concrete solution
Not all MDR services are identical to each other and it is advisable to rely on those who have been working for years and are committed to making this technology more and more effective.
The services offered by SOD, such as SOCaaS, guarantee an ideal solution for every company . Thanks to the introduction of state-of-the-art security software and solutions, SOD is in a position to offer a service aimed at the best possible prevention for corporate protection.
Customization and the choice of a dedicated service allow you to better manage company production. In an age when it is essential to protect yourself from cyber threats, a service dedicated to prevention is the smartest solution.
If you want to know how our solutions can help your business, do not hesitate to contact us, we will be happy to answer any questions.
- CIS Controls and Vulnerability Assessment: practical guide to adopting best practices
- Kerberoasting: a threat to cybersecurity and how to mitigate it with Security Posture analysis
- Protect Your Business: Antivirus vs. SOC Service with EDR and Next Generation Antivirus (NGA)
- CSIRT and SOC: Differences between incident management and security monitoring
- Security posture analysis: Complete guide to strengthening cybersecurity
- Deception vs EDR: What’s the Best Threat Defense Strategy?
- Deception: Tricking Hackers to Secure Your Network
- Active Defense Deception: cybersecurity that beats hackers with their own weapons
- Backup as a Service (17)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (22)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (5)
- Log Management (2)
- News (21)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (14)
- Security (189)
- Web Hosting (15)
- When It Comes to Email Security, The Cloud You Pick Matters September 25, 2023While cloud-based email offers more security than on-premises, insurance firms say it matters whether you use Microsoft 365 or Google Workspace.
- Xenomorph Android Malware Targets Customers of 30 US Banks September 25, 2023The Trojan had mainly been infecting banks in Europe since it first surfaced more than one year ago.
- MOVEit Flaw Leads to 900 University Data Breaches September 25, 2023National Student Clearinghouse, a nonprofit serving thousands of universities with enrollment services, exposes more than 900 schools within its MOVEit environment.
- UAE-Linked 'Stealth Falcon' APT Mimics Microsoft in Homoglyph Attack September 25, 2023The cyberattackers are using the "Deadglyph" custom spyware, whose full capabilities have not yet been uncovered.
- The Hot Seat: CISO Accountability in a New Era of SEC Regulation September 25, 2023Updated cybersecurity regulations herald a new era of transparency and accountability in the face of escalating industry vulnerabilities.
- Cyber Hygiene: A First Line of Defense Against Evolving Cyberattacks September 25, 2023Back to basics is a good start, but too often security teams don't handle their deployment correctly. Here's how to avoid the common pitfalls.
- Don't Get Burned by CAPTCHAs: A Recipe for Accurate Bot Protection September 25, 2023Traditional CAPTCHAs, such as reCAPTCHA, no longer protect online businesses adequately. Real users hate them. Bots bypass them. It's time to upgrade.
- ASPM Is Good, but It's Not a Cure-All for App Security September 23, 2023What application security posture management does, it does well. But you'll still need to fill in some holes, especially concerning API security.
- Recast Software Acquires Liquit, Consolidating the Endpoint and Application Management Markets September 22, 2023
- ClassLink Provides Cybersecurity Training Course to Help Schools Protect Public Directory Data September 22, 2023
- [tool] WatchGuard Firebox Web Update Unpacker September 25, 2023Posted by retset on Sep 25A small utility for extracting file system images from "sysa-dl" update files. https://github.com/ret5et/Watchguard_WebUI_Unpacker
- APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-6 macOS Ventura 13.6 September 23, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Sep 22APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-6 macOS Ventura 13.6 macOS Ventura 13.6 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/kb/HT213931. Apple maintains a Security Updates page at https://support.apple.com/HT201222 which lists recent software updates with security advisories. Additional CVE entries coming soon. Kernel Available for: macOS […]
- APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-7 macOS Monterey 12.7 September 23, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Sep 22APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-7 macOS Monterey 12.7 macOS Monterey 12.7 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/kb/HT213932. Apple maintains a Security Updates page at https://support.apple.com/HT201222 which lists recent software updates with security advisories. Additional CVE entries coming soon. Kernel Available for: macOS […]
- APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-5 watchOS 9.6.3 September 23, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Sep 22APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-5 watchOS 9.6.3 watchOS 9.6.3 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/kb/HT213929. Apple maintains a Security Updates page at https://support.apple.com/HT201222 which lists recent software updates with security advisories. Kernel Available for: Apple Watch Series 4 and later Impact: A […]
- APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-4 watchOS 10.0.1 September 23, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Sep 22APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-4 watchOS 10.0.1 watchOS 10.0.1 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/kb/HT213928. Apple maintains a Security Updates page at https://support.apple.com/HT201222 which lists recent software updates with security advisories. Kernel Available for: Apple Watch Series 4 and later Impact: A […]
- APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-3 iOS 16.7 and iPadOS 16.7 September 23, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Sep 22APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-3 iOS 16.7 and iPadOS 16.7 iOS 16.7 and iPadOS 16.7 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/kb/HT213927. Apple maintains a Security Updates page at https://support.apple.com/HT201222 which lists recent software updates with security advisories. Additional CVE entries coming soon. […]
- APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-2 iOS 17.0.1 and iPadOS 17.0.1 September 23, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Sep 22APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-2 iOS 17.0.1 and iPadOS 17.0.1 iOS 17.0.1 and iPadOS 17.0.1 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/kb/HT213926. Apple maintains a Security Updates page at https://support.apple.com/HT201222 which lists recent software updates with security advisories. Kernel Available for: iPhone XS […]
- APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-1 Safari 16.6.1 September 23, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Sep 22APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-1 Safari 16.6.1 Safari 16.6.1 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/kb/HT213930. Apple maintains a Security Updates page at https://support.apple.com/HT201222 which lists recent software updates with security advisories. WebKit Available for: macOS Big Sur and Monterey Impact: Processing web […]
- Advisory X41-2023-001: Two Vulnerabilities in OPNsense September 23, 2023Posted by X41 D-Sec GmbH Advisories via Fulldisclosure on Sep 22Advisory X41-2023-001: Two Vulnerabilities in OPNsense =========================================================== Highest Severity Rating: High Confirmed Affected Versions: 23.1.11_1, 23.7.3, 23.7.4 Confirmed Patched Versions: Commit 484753b2abe3fd0fcdb73d8bf00c3fc3709eb8b7 Vendor: Deciso B.V. / OPNsense Vendor URL: https://opnsense.org Credit: X41 D-Sec GmbH, Yasar Klawohn and JM Status: Public Advisory-URL:...
- SEC Consult SA-20230918-0 :: Authenticated Remote Code Execution and Missing Authentication in Atos Unify OpenScape September 18, 2023Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on Sep 18SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20230918-0 > ======================================================================= title: Authenticated Remote Code Execution and Missing Authentication product: Atos Unify OpenScape Session Border Controller Atos Unify OpenScape Branch Atos Unify OpenScape BCF vulnerable version: OpenScape SBC...
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes L'impatto crescente delle minacce informatiche, su sistemi operativi privati op… https://t.co/FimxTS4o9G
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The growing impact of cyber threats, on private or corporate operating systems… https://t.co/y6G6RYA9n1
Tempo di lettura stimato: 6 minuti Today we are talking about the CTI update of our services. Data security is… https://t.co/YAZkn7iFqa
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Il tema della sicurezza delle informazioni è di grande attualità in questo peri… https://t.co/tfve5Kzr09
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The issue of information security is very topical in this historical period ch… https://t.co/TP8gvdRcrF