Monitoring system, an overview
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Zabbix is a monitoring system suitable for different IT components, including networks, servers, virtual machines (VMs) and cloud services. Zabbix provides metrics such as network usage, CPU load, and disk space consumption. The software monitors operations on Linux, Hewlett Packard Unix (HP-UX), Mac OS X, Solaris, and other operating systems (OS);however, Windows monitoring is only possible through specific agents.
SOD offers you the service based on your needs. Once a first contact has been established, the customer is followed throughout the process of defining the perimeter and applying the monitoring system. Alert and control level are defined in accordance with the needs.
Monitoring system with and without agents
Zabbix can be used both with agents and without agents (software dedicated to collecting information in a system). Agents are optionally installed on IT components to monitor performance and collect data. The agent then responds to a centralized management server. This information is included in the reports or presented visually in the web-based graphical interface. If there is a problem with what is being monitored, the system sends a notification or warning to the user. Agentless monitoring performs the same type of monitoring by using existing resources in a system or device to emulate an agent.
The Zabbix web-based graphical interface allows users to visualize their IT environment via customizable dashboards based on widgets, charts, network maps, slideshows and reports. For example, a user can customize a report to show metrics associated with both SLAs (Service Level Agreements) and KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) on CPU loads.
The three discovery modes
The monitoring system offered works through three discovery mode options:
– Network discovery periodically scans an IT environment and records device type, IP address, status, uptime and downtime.
– Low-level discovery (LLD) automatically creates elements, triggers and graphs based on the discovered device. Low-level discovery can create metrics from Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) object identifiers, Windows services, Structured Query Language (SQL) queries, network interfaces, and more.
– Auto-discovery automatically starts monitoring any device discovered using a Zabbix agent.
With the distributed monitoring system, scripts run remotely collect data from multiple devices in distributed locations and combine them into a single dashboard or report, such as server availability across the country.
The system can send notifications via e-mail, sms, telephone calls, notifications via API based on predefined events in a user’s IT environment. Another way for users to stay updated on their IT environment is through vendor applications such as M7 Monitoring or applications of their own creation.
Agentless monitoring system
Zabbix offers several monitoring options in addition to agents. A simple check can verify the availability and responsiveness of a standard service, such as notifications.
Java management extensions (JMX), web monitoring, and other methods are also alternatives to using agents. In the service offered, JMX can be used to monitor Java based applications. Web monitoring is used to check the availability of websites and supports HTTP and HTTPS. The system collects data relating to the average download speed of a scenario, errors and error messages, response times and more.
The Zabbix API
The Zabbix API consists of many methods which are grouped into separate APIs, each of which performs a specific service. For example, one method to create a new host is host.create; the method to log in as administrator is user.login. Using the API, monitoring system users can create applications to work with and view desired information.
Templates are custom add-ons that extend the functionality of the monitoring system offered. Some models are made by Zabbix and come packaged with ready-to-use software, while others are built by users. Templates allow Zabbix users to monitor network devices from vendors such as Cisco, Dell, HP and Juniper. Other models can be used to monitor IBM, HP and Super Micro servers. Templates for application-based services include Microsoft Exchange and Exchange Server, Zenoss, PowerDNS, Authoritative Server Stats, and more. Templates can be created to monitor operating systems as well.
SOD provides an advanced monitoring system service that will allow you to keep your entire IT infrastructure under control. The monitoring possibilities are very wide and we have covered them in another article. The web interface facilitates the management and control for your perimeter, adding the possibility to set customized alarms and specific templates for every need.
If you are interested in the service, you can test it and see it working in our demo. Registration is required but no payment. Contact us for further questions or request a consultation, we are at your disposal.
SIEM software: what it is and how it works
ICT Monitoring Service
Acronis Active Protection: defense against ransomware
- What is it for? Hadoop Security Data Lake (SDL)
- Secure Online Desktop achieves ISO 27001: the security certification for managed services
- SOCaaS and Active Defense Deception Webinar – Guide to the next cybersecurity online event
- Auditing IT della sicurezza: guida completa all’analisi proattiva di vulnerabilità e conformità
- CIS Controls and Vulnerability Assessment: practical guide to adopting best practices
- Kerberoasting: a threat to cybersecurity and how to mitigate it with Security Posture analysis
- Protect Your Business: Antivirus vs. SOC Service with EDR and Next Generation Antivirus (NGA)
- CSIRT and SOC: Differences between incident management and security monitoring
- Backup as a Service (17)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (22)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (5)
- Log Management (2)
- News (23)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (14)
- Security (190)
- Web Hosting (15)
- Okta Breach Widens to Affect 100% of Customer Base November 30, 2023Early disclosures related to September compromise insisted less than 1% of Okta customers were impacted; now, the company says it was all of them.
- Law Firms & Legal Departments Singled Out for Cyberattacks November 30, 2023Cybercriminals use legal search terms to ensnare unwitting victims, then launch ransomware or business email compromise attacks.
- A New, Spookier Gh0st RAT Malware Haunts Global Cyber Targets November 30, 2023A decade and a half after Gh0st RAT first appeared, the "SugarGh0st RAT" variant aims to make life sweeter for cybercriminals.
- Siemens PLCs Still Vulnerable to Stuxnet-like Cyberattacks November 30, 2023Security updates are tedious and difficult, so users continue to use a weak version of a core protocol and remain exposed to major attacks on critical infrastructure.
- Feds Seize 'Sinbad' Crypto Mixer Used by North Korea's Lazarus November 30, 2023The prolific threat actor has laundered hundreds of millions of dollars in stolen virtual currency through the service.
- Deluge of Nearly 300 Fake Apps Floods Iranian Banking Sector November 30, 2023No Iranian bank customers are safe from financially motivated cybercriminals wielding convincing but fake mobile apps.
- 8 Tips on Leveraging AI Tools Without Compromising Security November 30, 2023AI tools can deliver quick and easy results and offer huge business benefits — but they also bring hidden risks.
- 10 Holiday Gifts For Stressed-Out Security Pros November 30, 2023Office giving-friendly fidgets, stress balls, brain teasers, and more that are perfect to calm the most harried cybersecurity professionals.
- Wiz-Securonix Partnership Promises Unified Threat Detection November 30, 2023The collaboration focuses on helping security teams detect and address cloud threats more effectively.
- Rundown of Security News from AWS re:Invent 2023 November 30, 2023Amazon Web Services announced enhancements to several of its security tools, including GuardDuty, Inspector, Detective, IAM Access Analyzer, and Secrets Manager, to name a few during its re:Invent event.
- SEC Consult SA-20231123 :: Uninstall Key Caching in Fortra Digital Guardian Agent Uninstaller November 27, 2023Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20231123-0 > ======================================================================= title: Uninstall Key Caching product: Fortra Digital Guardian Agent Uninstaller (Data Loss Prevention) vulnerable version: Agent:
- SEC Consult SA-20231122 :: Multiple Vulnerabilities in m-privacy TightGate-Pro November 27, 2023Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20231122-0 > ======================================================================= title: Multiple Vulnerabilities product: m-privacy TightGate-Pro vulnerable version: Rolling Release, servers with the following package versions are vulnerable: tightgatevnc < 4.1.2~1 rsbac-policy-tgpro
- Senec Inverters Home V1, V2, V3 Home & Hybrid Use of Hard-coded Credentials - CVE-2023-39169 November 27, 2023Posted by Phos4Me via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27Sent through the Full Disclosure mailing list https://nmap.org/mailman/listinfo/fulldisclosure Web Archives & RSS: https://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/
- [SYSS-2023-019] SmartNode SN200 - Unauthenticated OS Command Injection November 27, 2023Posted by Maurizio Ruchay via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27Advisory ID: SYSS-2023-019 Product: SmartNode SN200 Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA) & VoIP Gateway Manufacturer: Patton LLC Affected Version(s):
- CVE-2023-46307 November 27, 2023Posted by Kevin on Nov 27running on the remote port specified during setup
- CVE-2023-46307 November 27, 2023Posted by Kevin on Nov 27While conducting a penetration test for a client, they were running an application called etc-browser which is a public GitHub project with a Docker container. While fuzzing the web server spun up with etcd-browser (which can run on any arbitrary port), the application had a Directory Traversal vulnerability that is […]
- Survey on usage of security advisories November 27, 2023Posted by Aurich, Janik on Nov 27Dear list members, we are looking for voluntary participants for our survey, which was developed in the context of a master thesis at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg. The goal of the survey is to determine potential difficulties that may occur when dealing with security advisories. The focus of the […]
- [CVE-2023-46386, CVE-2023-46387, CVE-2023-46388, CVE-2023-46389] Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec products (3) November 27, 2023Posted by Chizuru Toyama on Nov 27[+] CVE : CVE-2023-46386, CVE-2023-46387, CVE-2023-46388, CVE-2023-46389 [+] Title : Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec L-INX Automation Servers [+] Vendor : LOYTEC electronics GmbH [+] Affected Product(s) : LINX-151, Firmware 7.2.4, LINX-212, firmware 6.2.4 [+] Affected Components : L-INX Automation Servers [+] Discovery Date :...
- [CVE-2023-46383, CVE-2023-46384, CVE-2023-46385] Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec products (2) November 27, 2023Posted by Chizuru Toyama on Nov 27[+] CVE : CVE-2023-46383, CVE-2023-46384, CVE-2023-46385 [+] Title : Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec LINX Configurator [+] Vendor : LOYTEC electronics GmbH [+] Affected Product(s) : LINX Configurator 7.4.10 [+] Affected Components : LINX Configurator [+] Discovery Date : 01-Sep-2021 [+] Publication date : 03-Nov-2023 [+]...
- Senec Inverters Home V1, V2, V3 Home & Hybrid Exposure of the Username to an Unauthorized Actor - CVE-2023-39168 November 12, 2023Posted by Phos4Me via Fulldisclosure on Nov 12Sent through the Full Disclosure mailing list https://nmap.org/mailman/listinfo/fulldisclosure Web Archives & RSS: https://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes L'impatto crescente delle minacce informatiche, su sistemi operativi privati op… https://t.co/FimxTS4o9G
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The growing impact of cyber threats, on private or corporate operating systems… https://t.co/y6G6RYA9n1
Tempo di lettura stimato: 6 minuti Today we are talking about the CTI update of our services. Data security is… https://t.co/YAZkn7iFqa
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Il tema della sicurezza delle informazioni è di grande attualità in questo peri… https://t.co/tfve5Kzr09
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The issue of information security is very topical in this historical period ch… https://t.co/TP8gvdRcrF