Alternative to the NAS
Network Attached Storage (NAS) is a great low-cost tool for storing your data like backups (single files / folders or entire operating system images). Thanks to its connection (ethernet or wifi) with the local network (LAN) it is possible to easily copy the contents from your PC or server to the NAS using manual and / or automatic systems.
So why is not the NAS the reliable solution for storing my backups?
Although it is cheap and very easy to install, configuring it and using it presents some critical issues that do not make it ideal in professional work environments where data is a critical component and the backup and restore process must be absolutely guaranteed. Let’s see some examples together:
DISADVANTAGES OF BACKUP ON NAS
♦ Theft: typically the NAS are physically located inside the company (office, CED, etc.), in the same building where the data are stored that they keep the backup therefore in case a company should suffer the theft of the equipment the latter would lose both the original data present in the computers / servers and their backup contained in the NAS;
♦ Damages: Catastrophic events (earthquakes, tsunamis, tsumamis, floods, fires, etc) could damage the company’s computer equipment, destroying both the original data and the backups stored on the NAS;
♦ Ransomware: the latest variants of ransomware are able to encrypt the content of the data stored in the NAS, which makes this tool ineffective because the backup would be in turn compromised and its data not usable.
Do not limit yourself to the NAS to save your data, save them in the Cloud with the BaaS services (Backup as a Service)
What are the countermeasures to protect your data?
ADVANTAGES OF THE BACKUP ON CLOUD
♦ Physical protection: keeping your backups on the Cloud means relying on Cloud Providers who, thanks to their Datacenter, are able to guarantee the physical security of the data, also in compliance with the ISO certifications;
♦ Cloud: The Cloud by its nature allows to segregate data in order to protect the backups from ransomware viruses and all those activities (voluntary or involuntary cancellations) that constitute a threat to the data;
♦ Scalability: the size reserved for backup can easily be increased to adapt to continuous business changes.
- Hadoop Open Data Model: “open” data collection
- Pass the Ticket: how to mitigate it with a SOCaaS
- Use cases of a SOCaaS for companies part 2
- Use cases of a SOCaaS for companies part 1
- NIST Cybersecurity Framework
- “Left of boom” and “right of boom”: having a winning strategy
- Smishing: a fraud similar to phishing
- Network Traffic Analyzer: an extra gear for the Next Gen SIEM
- Backup as a Service (17)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (20)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (4)
- Log Management (2)
- News (18)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (14)
- Security (148)
- Web Hosting (15)
- Russia Takes Down REvil Ransomware Operation, Arrests Key Members January 14, 2022Timing of the move has evoked at least some skepticism from security experts about the country's true motives.
- The Cybersecurity Measures CTOs Are Actually Implementing January 14, 2022Companies look to multifactor authentication and identity and access management to block attacks, but hedge their bets with disaster recovery.
- Maryland Dept. of Health Responds to Ransomware Attack January 14, 2022An attack discovered on Dec. 4, 2021 forced the Maryland Department of Health to take some of its systems offline.
- White House Meets With Software Firms and Open Source Orgs on Security January 14, 2022The Log4j vulnerability is only the latest security flaw to have global impact, prompting the Biden administration and software developers to pledge to produce more secure software.
- What's Next for Patch Management: Automation January 14, 2022The next five years will bring the widespread use of hyperautomation in patch management. Part 3 of 3.
- BlueNoroff Threat Group Targets Cryptocurrency Startups January 13, 2022A series of attacks against small and medium-sized businesses has led to major cryptocurrency losses for the victims.
- Fighting Back Against Pegasus, Other Advanced Mobile Malware January 13, 2022Detecting infection traces from Pegasus and other APTs can be tricky, complicated by iOS and Android security features.
- How to Protect Your Phone from Pegasus and Other APTs January 13, 2022The good news is that you can take steps to avoid advanced persistent threats. The bad news is that it might cost you iMessage. And FaceTime.
- New Vulnerabilities Highlight Risks of Trust in Public Cloud January 13, 2022Major cloud providers are vulnerable to exploitation because a single flaw can be turned into a global attack using trusted core services.
- How Cybercriminals Are Cashing in on the Culture of 'Yes' January 13, 2022The reward is always front of mind, while the potential harm of giving out a phone number doesn't immediately reveal itself.
- Win32.MarsStealer Web Panel / Unauthenticated Remote Data Deletion January 16, 2022Posted by malvuln on Jan 16Discovery / credits: Malvuln - malvuln.com (c) 2022 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/8abb41f6e7010d70c90f65fd9a740faa_C.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Win32.MarsStealer Web Panel Vulnerability: Unauthenticated Remote Data Deletion Description: The Mars-Stealer web interface has a "Grab Rules" component area that lets a user specify which type of files to collect from […]
- Win32.MarsStealer Web Panel / Unauthenticated Remote Persistent XSS January 16, 2022Posted by malvuln on Jan 16Discovery / credits: Malvuln - malvuln.com (c) 2022 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/8abb41f6e7010d70c90f65fd9a740faa_B.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Win32.MarsStealer Web Panel Vulnerability: Unauthenticated Remote Persistent XSS Description: The Mars-Stealer web interface has a "Marker Rules" component area. Third-party attackers who can reach the Mars-Stealer server can send HTTP...
- Win32.MarsStealer Web Panel / Unauthenticated Remote Information Disclosure January 16, 2022Posted by malvuln on Jan 16Discovery / credits: Malvuln - malvuln.com (c) 2022 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/8abb41f6e7010d70c90f65fd9a740faa.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Win32.MarsStealer Web Panel Vulnerability: Unauthenticated Remote Information Disclosure Description: The malware web interface stores screen captures named "screenshot.jpg" in the panel directory, ZIP archived. Third-party attackers who...
- Ab Stealer Web Panel / Unauthenticated Remote Persistent XSS January 16, 2022Posted by malvuln on Jan 16Discovery / credits: Malvuln - malvuln.com (c) 2022 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/9e44c10307aa8194753896ecf8102167.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Ab Stealer Web Panel Vulnerability: Unauthenticated Remote Persistent XSS Description: The "Ab Stealer" web Panel By KingDomSc for "AbBuild v.1.0.exe" is used to browse victim information "Get All Victims Passwords, With...
- SEC Consult SA-20220113-0 :: Cleartext Storage of Phone Password in Cisco IP Phones January 14, 2022Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research on Jan 14SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20220113-0 > ======================================================================= title: Cleartext Storage of Phone Password product: Cisco IP Phone Series 78x1, 88x5, 88x1, 7832, 8832, 8821 and 3905 vulnerable version: Firmware
- 🐞 Call for Papers for Hardwear.io USA 2022 is OPEN! January 14, 2022Posted by Andrea Simonca on Jan 14Hello, We are happy to announce that the CFP for Hardwear.io USA 2022 is OPEN! If you have a groundbreaking embedded research or an awesome open-source tool you’d like to showcase before the global hardware security community, this is your chance. Send in your ideas on various hardware subjects, […]
- APPLE-SA-2022-01-12-1 iOS 15.2.1 and iPadOS 15.2.1 January 12, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Jan 12APPLE-SA-2022-01-12-1 iOS 15.2.1 and iPadOS 15.2.1 iOS 15.2.1 and iPadOS 15.2.1 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213043. HomeKit Available for: iPhone 6s and later, iPad Pro (all models), iPad Air 2 and later, iPad 5th generation and later, […]
- Reprise License Manager 14.2 - Reflected Cross-Site Scripting January 12, 2022Posted by Gionathan Reale via Fulldisclosure on Jan 12# Product: RLM 14.2 # Vendor: Reprise Software # CVE ID: CVE-2021-45422 # Vulnerability Title: Reflected Cross-Site Scripting # Severity: Medium # Author(s): Giulia Melotti Garibaldi # Date: 2022-01-11 # ############################################################# Introduction: An issue was discovered in Reprise License Manager 14.2, Reprise License Manager 14.2 is affected […]
- [RT-SA-2021-009] Credential Disclosure in Web Interface of Crestron Device January 12, 2022Posted by RedTeam Pentesting GmbH on Jan 12Advisory: Credential Disclosure in Web Interface of Crestron Device When the administrative web interface of the Crestron HDMI switcher is accessed unauthenticated, user credentials are disclosed which are valid to authenticate to the web interface. Details ======= Product: Crestron HD-MD4X2-4K-E Affected Versions: 126.96.36.1999 Fixed Versions: - Vulnerability Type: […]
- Backdoor.Win32.Controlit.10 / Unauthenticated Remote Command Execution January 11, 2022Posted by malvuln on Jan 11Discovery / credits: Malvuln - malvuln.com (c) 2022 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/859aab793a42868343346163bd42f485.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Backdoor.Win32.Controlit.10 Vulnerability: Unauthenticated Remote Command Execution Description: The malware listens on TCP port 3347. Third-party attackers who can reach an infected system can run any OS commands made available by the […]
Tempo di lettura: 5 minUtilizzo del Machine Learning per proteggere i dati Introdotto nel gennaio 2017, Acronis Act… https://t.co/mhqalBxm8D
Gli attacchi informatici sono numerosi e non fanno distinzione tra aziende e singoli individui quando prendono di m… https://t.co/uOucUWZf7W
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes SNYPR è uno strumento di analisi della sicurezza in grado di trasformare i Big… https://t.co/oies7e0nYY
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes Con l’avvento delle piattaforme di big data, le aziende che si occupano di sicu… https://t.co/MSvA0dPgiE