Ransomware: recent news 2020/21
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
As we know, a ransomware is a malware that aims to extort money from victims . The means it uses is encryption to encrypt victim data, both local and in the cloud, and make it inaccessible.
The ransomware is therefore a real cyber blackmail : if the victim refuses to pay the requested sum, not only would he be denied access to his data, but there is also the risk that this data will be totally destroyed by hackers. There is no guarantee that unencrypted data will be returned to payment of the ransom.
The propensity or not to pay a ransom was analyzed by one 2020 study , in which it emerged that the 65% of respondents pay without hesitation. Furthermore, it appears that more than half of the sample paid when they were the victim of an attack. Cyber attacks also hit in Italy and 33% of Italians victim of ransomware stated that, despite having paid the ransom, the data in the possession of the victim have been totally or partially lost . In fact, there is no certainty that, by paying a sum of money, the decryption keys of the files will be delivered.
In 2020 it was stated by Microsoft that Ransomware was a major threat . In fact, it is estimated that digital attacks of this type increased in 2020 compared to the previous year. This also happened in 2021.
Development of techniques
The development of ransomware techniques has been fairly straightforward. The first attacks weren’t as organized as the ones we see now. They were executed by single hackers and were often used to target small groups of people, if not a single user. Small sums of money were extorted from these victims, which over time increased more and more.
The use of Ransomware on a large scale dates back to the last few years: recently, in fact, they have evolved. Now the actors of these ransoms have changed, which are groups of organized cybercriminals .
It is no longer individual users that are being targeted, but large companies and their data . The decision to increase the range of ransomware was a novelty due to the fact that criminals and hackers agreed to press on the urgency of companies to recover high-importance data that cannot be lost and the greater possibility of companies to sell for more substantial redemptions .
Even the moment in which the attack occurs is no longer casual, but the result of a ruthless strategy. In fact, criminals choose holiday moments or moments when the company is weakest , moments in which it is easy for IT technicians to pay less attention to unauthorized access to databases.
Double-extortion-ransomware, one of the latest
Another novelty that has recently emerged about ransomware is the double extortion , a technique that ends up extorting a larger sum of money. This technique puts into practice a double ransom that leverages the victim’s weaknesses.
At first, blackmail is based on access to data, which is denied to the victims. When a first ransom is paid, several cybercriminal gangs ask for a second payment to prevent their data from being made public or released to competing companies .
In this way, companies not only have to pay the first ransom to regain access but will be asked for a second ransom to maintain the confidentiality of data that could still be in the hands of the criminal group.
The ransomware attacks of 2021
Ransomware attacks have skyrocketed and that’s nothing new. In recent years, this new modus operandi of double extortion has turned out to be much more profitable than simply deleting data, which however should not be ruled out as a possibility. Even if the ransom was paid, several companies said they no longer had access to the data.
In 2021, the year with the largest number of ransomware-type attacks ever recorded , there was a total loss of money of $ 6 trillion . The types of ransomware attacks have become increasingly sophisticated and designed to hit company databases at the heart and above all to evade their IT security systems, which unfortunately become obsolete very quickly.
There have been several massive attacks involving different types of companies.
Attack on the Colonial Pipeline Company
One of the most significant attacks was that of the hacker group DarkSide against the Colonial Pipeline Company, which took place in early May 2021 . The immediate damage caused by this attack was the interruption of the supply of fuel that was to arrive in the southern United States of America.
This attack was by far the heaviest of the year 2021, as the Colonial Pipeline is responsible for delivering more than half of the fuel in circulation in that area of the US. The result was devastating not only as regards the way the company reacted, but above all for the reaction of consumers : the rush to fuel . People rushed to fill as many fuel cans as possible, to avoid running out of water, with all the risks that these actions bring with them.
The IT action, which cost the company $ 4.4 million , could very well have been avoided . In fact, once the attack was over and the reports of the cybercriminals’ actions were analyzed, the lack of one of the simplest yet most effective security measures immediately became apparent: multi-factor authentication.
Without the latter, in fact, hackers faced only one barrier to break down before accessing the data , which is why the attack was so simple to carry out. The ease with which the attack hit was key in stimulating further Ransomware attacks , as it paved the way for the likelihood of high-caliber companies sinning from lack of cybersecurity just like the Colonial Pipeline. .
Attack on CNA Financial
Another recorded cyber attack was the one against CNA Financial. This was particularly impressive due to the ease with which the breach occurred against a security system that was considered to be one of the safest .
The consequences of the attack were primarily a network outage and, subsequently, the inability to regain full network operation. There were over 15,000 single victims of this attack . In fact, the attack took place remotely and hit the computers of almost all employees . The ransom demanded (and paid ) amounts to $ 40 million.
The identity of the attacker is unknown, but many details suggest Evil Corp as the perpetrator of the attack. The most obvious clue is the software used, which is called Hades, used in the past by Evil Corp.
Despite this, Evil Corp has never been sanctioned for the damage done to CNA Financial.
How to defend yourself?
As we have seen from the latest ransomware news, it is not easy to recover your data if you are a victim of this type of attack. Even if you decide to pay the ransom, you don’t necessarily get your data back. Consequently, the most effective defense is prevention, which can be done in a number of ways.
SOCaaS and UEBA to identify threats
One of the most effective ways to defend yourself is the UEBA system, integrated into the SOCaaS offered by SOD. This system is based on the analysis of users and entities . While it is easy for a hacker to obtain the login information of a corporate user, it is still difficult to behave normally without arousing suspicion. The UEBA system monitors the behaviors of each user and entity and triggers the alarm if their behaviors change. The change in habits may be legitimate, but in this way we can investigate immediately to mitigate the risk.
The UEBA system works thanks to different algorithms that monitor the habits of the users and systems involved and report any anomalies. Together with SIEM, they are fundamental components of the SOC that we offer to our customers.
In any case, it is advisable not to give in to ransoms for any reason. It is recommended to pay maximum attention to fraud and phishing and to install updated antivirus.
For greater high-level security for your company, do not hesitate to contact us to find out what solutions we can offer to secure your data. We will be happy to answer any questions.
- The SOAR benefits: simplifying investigation and response
- Security Code Review: How the service works
- Integration of the automated response: the automations in SOCaaS
- Coordination between CTI and SOC: how to further raise the defenses
- New Cloud Server: redundant internet
- Quality certificate for the SOCaaS of SOD
- Managed Detection and Response: a new preventive approach
- CLUSIT: our collaboration for better services
- Backup as a Service (17)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (22)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (5)
- Log Management (2)
- News (21)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (15)
- Security (170)
- Web Hosting (15)
- App Developers Increasingly Targeted via Slack, DevOps Tools September 23, 2022Slack, Docker, Kubernetes, and other applications that allow developers to collaborate have become the latest vector for software supply chain attacks.
- Malicious Apps With Millions of Downloads Found in Apple App Store, Google Play September 23, 2022The ongoing ad fraud campaign can be traced back to 2019, but recently expanded into the iOS ecosystem, researchers say.
- CISA: Zoho ManageEngine RCE Bug Is Under Active Exploit September 23, 2022The bug allows unauthenticated code execution on the company's firewall products, and CISA says it poses "significant risk" to federal government.
- Cyberattackers Compromise Microsoft Exchange Servers via Malicious OAuth Apps September 23, 2022Cybercriminals took control of enterprise Exchange Servers to spread large amounts of spam aimed at signing people up for bogus subscriptions.
- How Europe Is Using Regulations to Harden Medical Devices Against Attack September 23, 2022Manufacturers need to document a medical device's intended use and operational environment, as well as plan for misuse, such as a cyberattack.
- Neglecting Open Source Developers Puts the Internet at Risk September 23, 2022From creating a software bill of materials for applications your company uses to supporting open source projects and maintainers, businesses need to step up their efforts to help reduce risks.
- Microsoft Looks to Enable Practical Zero-Trust Security With Windows 11 September 23, 2022With the update, Microsoft adds features to allow easier deployment of zero-trust capabilities. Considering the 1.3 billion global Windows users, the support could make a difference.
- Mitigating Risk and Communicating Value in Multicloud Environments September 23, 2022Protecting against risk is a shared responsibility that only gets more complex as you mix the different approaches of common cloud services.
- Researchers Uncover Mysterious 'Metador' Cyber-Espionage Group September 23, 2022Researchers from SentinelLabs laid out what they know about the attackers and implored the researcher community for help in learning more about the shadowy group.
- Developer Leaks LockBit 3.0 Ransomware-Builder Code September 22, 2022Code could allow other attackers to develop copycat versions of the malware, but it could help researchers understand the threat better as well.
- Backdoor.Win32.Hellza.120 / Authentication Bypass September 20, 2022Posted by malvuln on Sep 19Discovery / credits: Malvuln (John Page aka hyp3rlinx) (c) 2022 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/2cbd0fcf4d5fd5fb6c8014390efb0b21_B.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Backdoor.Win32.Hellza.120 Vulnerability: Authentication Bypass Description: The malware listens on TCP ports 12122, 21. Third-party adversarys who can reach infected systems can logon using any username/password combination....
- Backdoor.Win32.Hellza.120 / Unauthorized Remote Command Execution September 20, 2022Posted by malvuln on Sep 19Discovery / credits: Malvuln (John Page aka hyp3rlinx) (c) 2022 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/2cbd0fcf4d5fd5fb6c8014390efb0b21.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Backdoor.Win32.Hellza.120 Vulnerability: Unauthorized Remote Command Execution Description: The malware listens on TCP ports 12122, 21. Third-party adversarys who can reach infected systems can issue commands made available by the...
- Trojan.Ransom.Ryuk.A / Arbitrary Code Execution September 20, 2022Posted by malvuln on Sep 19Discovery / credits: Malvuln (John Page aka hyp3rlinx) (c) 2022 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/5ac0f050f93f86e69026faea1fbb4450.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Trojan.Ransom.Ryuk.A Vulnerability: Arbitrary Code Execution Description: The ransomware looks for and executes DLLs in its current directory. Therefore, we can potentially hijack a vuln DLL execute our own code, […]
- Trojan-Dropper.Win32.Corty.10 / Insecure Credential Storage September 20, 2022Posted by malvuln on Sep 19Discovery / credits: Malvuln (John Page aka hyp3rlinx) (c) 2022 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/f72138e574743640bdcdb9f102dff0a5.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Trojan-Dropper.Win32.Corty.10 Vulnerability: Insecure Credential Storage Description: The malware stores its credentials in cleartext within the Windows registry. Family: Corty Type: PE32 MD5: f72138e574743640bdcdb9f102dff0a5 Vuln ID:...
- Re: over 2000 packages depend on abort()ing libgmp September 20, 2022Posted by Matthew Fernandez on Sep 19What is the security boundary being violated here? As a maintainer of some of the packages implicated here, I’m unsure what my actionable tasks are. The threat model(s) for my packages does not consider crashes to be a security violation. On the other side, things like crypto code frequently […]
- SEC Consult SA-20220915-0 :: Local Privilege Escalation im SAP® SAPControl Web Service Interface (sapuxuserchk) September 16, 2022Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on Sep 15SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20220915-0 > ======================================================================= title: Local privilege escalation product: SAP® SAPControl Web Service Interface (sapuxuserchk) vulnerable version: see section "Vulnerable / tested versions" fixed version: see SAP security note 3158619 CVE number: CVE-2022-29614...
- SEC Consult SA-20220914-0 :: Improper Access Control in SAP® SAProuter September 16, 2022Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on Sep 15SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20220914-0 > ======================================================================= title: Improper Access Control product: SAP® SAProuter vulnerable version: see section "Vulnerable / tested versions" fixed version: see SAP security note 3158375 CVE number: CVE-2022-27668 impact: high homepage:...
- over 2000 packages depend on abort()ing libgmp September 16, 2022Posted by Georgi Guninski on Sep 15ping world libgmp is library about big numbers. it is not a library for very big numbers, because if libgmp meets a very big number, it calls abort() and coredumps. 2442 packages depend on libgmp on ubuntu20. [email protected]:~/prim$ apt-cache rdepends libgmp10 | wc -l 2442 gawk crash: [email protected]:~/prim$ gawk […]
- APPLE-SA-2022-09-12-5 Safari 16 September 12, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Sep 12APPLE-SA-2022-09-12-5 Safari 16 Safari 16 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213442. Safari Extensions Available for: macOS Big Sur and macOS Monterey Impact: A website may be able to track users through Safari web extensions Description: A logic issue […]
- APPLE-SA-2022-09-12-4 macOS Monterey 12.6 September 12, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Sep 12APPLE-SA-2022-09-12-4 macOS Monterey 12.6 macOS Monterey 12.6 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213444. ATS Available for: macOS Monterey Impact: An app may be able to bypass Privacy preferences Description: A logic issue was addressed with improved state management. […]
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes L'impatto crescente delle minacce informatiche, su sistemi operativi privati op… https://t.co/FimxTS4o9G
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The growing impact of cyber threats, on private or corporate operating systems… https://t.co/y6G6RYA9n1
Tempo di lettura stimato: 6 minuti Today we are talking about the CTI update of our services. Data security is… https://t.co/YAZkn7iFqa
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Il tema della sicurezza delle informazioni è di grande attualità in questo peri… https://t.co/tfve5Kzr09
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The issue of information security is very topical in this historical period ch… https://t.co/TP8gvdRcrF