A cloud server or VPS (Virtual Private Server) is a fully-fledged server with its own operating system and well-defined hardware features only that unlike a classic server it shares physical resources with other virtual machines in this way more VPS can be run simultaneously on the same server (hypervisor).
This virtualization technique allows significant cost savings and an optimization of hardware resources as it is possible to run multiple operating systems on the same hardware.
Server Cloud – Pros cons
♦ Migration: It is possible to “move” (migrate) a VPS from one server (hypervisor) to another (even without interruption of service).
Example: You have created a VPS on a hypervisor in Italy and you want to move it to a server in America. With a VPS, as long as the Cloud Provider has another Datacenter in America, this can be done quickly.
♦ Scalability: It is the possibility of increasing or decreasing the hardware resources (CPU, RAM, Disk, etc) without rebuilding the VPS and in some cases without restarting it in full transparency to users who use the services provided.
Example: A VPS of 2 cores, 1 GB of RAM and 20 GB of disk has been created but after a few months we realize that the RAM memory is insufficient for the services provided and it is necessary to increase it. With a VPS it is very easy to solve this problem, just increase the RAM from the configuration panel and the new configuration will be applied (in the case of linux systems without the need to reboot).
♦ Autoscaling: It is the possibility to increase or decrease the resources (scaling) automatically according to well defined hardware policies. This technique is extremely valid in cases of load peaks.
Example: A VPS has been created with 2 cores, 1 GB of RAM and 20 GB but in some periods of the year due to the high user access these resources are not sufficient, then in this case it is possible to configure these policies:
a) If the CPU is at 90% for more than 1h then the CPU of a core increases every 30min for a maximum of 6 cores and then if the CPU is less than 10% for more than 1h decrease the CPU of a core every 30 min up to a minimum of 2 cores.
b) If the RAM is 99% for more than 1h then increase the RAM of 1Gb every 30min for a maximum of 32Gb and then if the RAM is less than 50% for more than 1h decrease the RAM of a core every 30 min until at a minimum of 1Gb.
♦ Low cost: by comparing the cost of a VPS to that of a fiscal server like hardware resources, the cost of a VPS is much lower, especially considering that some cost items are already included in the VPS fee. :
a) Energy consumption;
b) Internet band;
c) Cost of public IP addresses;
d) Costs related to housing (cooling, surveillance, etc);
f) Technical assistance.
♦ Shared resources: Depending on the configurations and characteristics of the Cloud Provider, some hardware resources, such as the CPU, could be shared so performance may be lower than a physical server. This condition is not always true as it is possible to request a 100% allocation on all hardware resources to your Cloud Provider.
Server Cloud – Limits:
- ♦ OS Virtualization: Not all operating systems and platforms can be virtualized (Eg AS400, Apple OS).
- ♦ Band: Although this is not an inherent problem of virtualization itself there could be latency differences in the Internet connection between a physical server in the company and a VPS if users are predominantly within the company and if the company has not an adequate Internet line.
Example: A physical server in the customer’s DMZ is accessed by its LAN users via a 10Gb line, if the server is virtualized and becomes a VPS at a Cloud provider, access to it is transmitted via the client’s Internet line which may be more slow.
Server Cloud – False myths:
- ♦ A VPS does not have the same performance as a physical server: By allocating 100% of the physical resources and correctly dimensioning a VPS the latter has nothing to envy to a physical server from a performance point of view.
- ♦ A VPS is less secure than a physical server: A VPS can have the same degree of security as a physical server because it is possible to adopt the same security measures (Firewall, Antivirus, Hardening, VPN) applicable to a Fiscal server.
Check out the Cloud Server
- HTTP / 3, everything you need to know about the latest version protocol
- Machine learning and cybersecurity: UEBA applications and security
- Logic Bomb: what they are and how to prevent them
- Pass the hash: how to gain access without password
- Ransomware and NAS: a risk that is not considered
- SIEM monitoring: best practices
- Cyber Threat Hunting: on the hunt for security threats
- Ethical hacking: defending knowing how to attack
- Backup as a Service (2)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (20)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (4)
- Log Management (2)
- News (17)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (6)
- Secure Online Desktop (14)
- Security (9)
- Web Hosting (15)
- Battle for the Endpoint April 9, 2021How to build a new cyber strategy for 2021 and beyond.
- CISA Launches New Threat Detection Dashboard April 9, 2021Aviary is a new dashboard that works with CISA's Sparrow threat detection tool.
- Unofficial Android App Store APKPure Infected With Malware April 9, 2021The APKPure app store was infected with malware that can download Trojans to other Android devices, researchers report.
- 8 Security & Privacy Apps to Share With Family and Friends April 9, 2021Mobile apps to recommend to the people in your life who want to improve their online security and privacy.
- Women Are Facing an Economic Crisis & the Cybersecurity Industry Can Help April 9, 2021Investing in women's cybersecurity careers can bring enormous benefits and help undo some of the significant economic damage wrought by the pandemic.
- Zoom Joins Microsoft Teams on List of Enterprise Tools Hacked at Pwn2Own April 8, 2021White-hat hacking event shows yet again why there's no such thing as foolproof security against modern attacks.
- 600K Payment Card Records Leaked After Swarmshop Breach April 8, 2021A leaked database also contains the nicknames, hashed passwords, contact details, and activity history of Swarmshop admins, sellers, and buyers.
- Handcuffs Over AI: Solving Security Challenges With Law Enforcement April 8, 2021We've tried everything else ... now it's time to make the prospect of getting caught -- and punished -- a real deterrent to cybercrime.
- SecOps and DevOps: From Cooperation to Automation April 7, 2021Omdia Principal Analyst Eric Parizo discusses the major obstacles SecOps organizations face as they seek to build ties with DevOps teams, and offers a programmatic approach to help create a path toward DevSecOps.
- CFP ZeroNights 2021 April 10, 2021Posted by CFP ZeroNights on Apr 09ZeroNights 2021 CFP is OPEN: Offensive and defensive research (15/30/45min). Submit your talk! # About conference Place: Saint-Petersburg, Russia Date: 30 June Timeslots: 15/30/45 min Site: https://zeronights.org # CFP Timeline CFP start: 1 March CFP end: 15 May CFP page: https://01x.cfp.zeronights.ru/zn2021/ # Conditions: A speaker may deliver either a […]
- Backdoor.Win32.Small.n / Unauthenticated Remote Command Execution (SYSTEM) April 8, 2021Posted by malvuln on Apr 08Discovery / credits: Malvuln - malvuln.com (c) 2021 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/fb24c3509180f463c9deaf2ee6705062.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Backdoor.Win32.Small.n Vulnerability: Unauthenticated Remote Command Execution (SYSTEM) Description: The backdoor malware listens on TCP Port 1337, upon successful connection we get handed a remote shell from the infected host with SYSTEM...
- [SYSS-2020-032] Open Redirect in Tableau Server (CVE-2021-1629) April 8, 2021Posted by Vladimir Bostanov on Apr 08Advisory ID: SYSS-2020-032 Product: Tableau Server Manufacturer: Tableau Software, LLC, a Salesforce Company Affected Version(s): 2019.4-2019.4.17, 2020.1-2020.1.13, 2020.2-2020.2.10, 2020.3-2020.3.6, 2020.4-2020.4.2 Tested Version(s): 2020.2.1 (20202.20.0525.1210) 64-bit Windows Vulnerability Type: URL Redirection to Untrusted Site (CWE-601) Risk Level: Medium Solution Status: Fixed Manufacturer Notification: 2020-07-29 Solution Date:...
- Backdoor.Win32.Hupigon.das / Unauthenticated Open Proxy April 8, 2021Posted by malvuln on Apr 08Discovery / credits: Malvuln - malvuln.com (c) 2021 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/7afe56286039faf56d4184c476683340.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Backdoor.Win32.Hupigon.das Vulnerability: Unauthenticated Open Proxy Description: The malware drops an hidden executable named "winserv.com" under Windows dir, which accepts TCP connections on port 8080. Afterwards, it connects to a...
- Trojan.Win32.Hotkeychick.d / Insecure Permissions April 8, 2021Posted by malvuln on Apr 08Discovery / credits: Malvuln - malvuln.com (c) 2021 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/aff493ed1f98ed05c360b462192d2853.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Trojan.Win32.Hotkeychick.d Vulnerability: Insecure Permissions Description: creates an insecure dir named "Sniperscan" under c:\ drive and grants change (C) permissions to the authenticated user group. Standard users can rename the...
- Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Genome.qiw / Insecure Permissions April 8, 2021Posted by malvuln on Apr 08Discovery / credits: Malvuln - malvuln.com (c) 2021 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/5cddc4647fb1c59f5dc7f414ada7fad4.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Genome.qiw Vulnerability: Insecure Permissions Description: Genome.qiw creates an insecure dir named "tmp" under c:\ drive and grants change (C) permissions to the authenticated user group. Standard users can...
- Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Genome.omht / Insecure Permissions April 8, 2021Posted by malvuln on Apr 08Discovery / credits: Malvuln - malvuln.com (c) 2021 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/01055838361f534ab596b56a19c70fef.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Genome.omht Vulnerability: Insecure Permissions Description: Genome.omht creates an insecure dir named "wjmd97" under c:\ drive and grants change (C) permissions to the authenticated user group. Standard users can...
- Trojan.Win32.Hosts2.yqf / Insecure Permissions April 8, 2021Posted by malvuln on Apr 08Discovery / credits: Malvuln - malvuln.com (c) 2021 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/274a6e846c5a4a2b3281198556e5568b.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Trojan.Win32.Hosts2.yqf Vulnerability: Insecure Permissions Description: Hosts2.yqf creates an insecure dir named "mlekaocYUmaae" under c:\ drive and grants change (C) permissions to the authenticated user group. Standard users can...
- usd20210005: Privileged File Write in Check Point Identity Agent < R81.018.0000 April 8, 2021Posted by Responsible Disclosure via Fulldisclosure on Apr 08### Advisory: Privileged File Write Description =========== The Check Point Identity Agent allows low privileged users to write files to protected locations of the file system. Details ======= Advisory ID: usd-2021-0005 Product: Check Point Identity Agent Affected Version: < R81.018.0000 Vulnerability Type: Symlink Vulnerability Security Risk: High […]
- CVE-2021-26709 - Multiple Pre-Auth Stack Buffer Overflow in D-Link DSL-320B-D1 ADSL Modem April 8, 2021Posted by Gabriele Gristina on Apr 08Multiple Pre-Auth Stack Buffer Overflow in D-Link DSL-320B-D1 ADSL Modem ======== < Table of Contents > ========================================= 0. Overview 1. Details 2. Solution 3. Disclosure Timeline 4. Thanks & Acknowledgements 5. References 6. Credits 7. Legal Notices ======== < 0. Overview > =============================================== Release Date: 7 March 2021 Revision: […]
ICON_PLACEHOLDEREstimated reading time: 6 minutes Out of nowhere, someone replies to an email conversation dated… https://t.co/kXIx3FPWfm
L'hacking etico e la salvaguardia del patrimonio aziendale https://t.co/SLncmaZ1ci
ICON_PLACEHOLDERTempo di lettura: 5 minutes Le ransomware gang hanno preso di mira le aziende negli ultimi tempi,… https://t.co/3hF62deo6S
ICON_PLACEHOLDEREstimated reading time: 10 minutes Ingegneria sociale è il termine usato per una vasta gamma di a… https://t.co/gj1hMDdfjn
Enterprise e piccole aziende, l'importanza di un Next Generation SIEM https://t.co/qT4PxR13Li