Subscription business model – Basics
Subscription is a convenient way to receive updates, products or services on a regular and ongoing basis. This business model has stood the test of time. Over the years, satisfied customers have used regular services by subscribing news, magazines, CDs, wine and even opera tickets. And then the cloud arrived. The cloud has made IT complex easy and cheap, thanks to the familiar service delivery subscription model.
Today, public cloud computing services have revenues of $ 246.8 billion. By 2020, Gartner says, cloud adoption strategies will affect over 50% of IT outsourcing contracts. Service providers are rushing to get on board.
The subscription is an agreement to regularly receive products or services by paying in advance. It has become a default business model for service providers. Even those service integrators who have made their name by selling individual software licenses are currently switching to a subscription or a software-as-a-service service delivery method to stay alive and grow their customer base.
For customers, the subscription is based on practicality, scalability and economy. The consumption model of the OpEx-based subscription service beats the traditional CapEx model in all ways. Instead of spending hundreds and often thousands of euros on hardware devices and software licenses (and therefore worry about maintenance and upgrades), companies pay a manageable monthly fee just for what they use and only for the service they need.
There are two popular subscription models designed to attract new customers allowing them to try the service before engaging in a full subscription.
A freemium business model offers a free basic service and additional paid features. This has become one of the dominant business models in the mobile app market and is widely adopted by cloud-based service providers. LinkedIn, Dropbox, Yammer and millions of other vendors have adopted this model, using free features as a powerful marketing tool. Users are more likely to direct the service to others when it’s free and easy to use. There are also signs that the freemium model is even more successful than the 30-day trial because it relieves customers from the cumbersome cancellation process when they are trying out the service for the first time.
As with the Acronis Cloud Backup service, the Freemium option allows you to have a free plan for a computer with local backup storage and then charge a fee for additional services such as cloud storage and other devices.
Bait and Hook
This subscription business model offers to offer a basic service at a low price, or even free, and to charge the full price for additional resources. The origin of this subscription method is often attributed to Gillette, a razor company that is known for selling cheap razor kits and expensive blade refills. Today this model is widely used by mobile phone companies (free telephone with a long-term service plan), printer manufacturers (cheap printers, expensive ink) and many other companies where most of the revenue comes from consumables .
With the Acronis Cloud Backup service, on the other hand, you have a free plan with a limited amount of storage space in the Cloud. This will allow customers to register and try the fully functional service before purchasing additional Cloud storage to meet their needs. In this section you can consult the complete list of demo services that Secure Online Desktop makes available to its customers.
Acronis Cloud Backup
The Acronis Cloud Backup service is specifically designed to meet the ever-increasing needs of customers oriented to the above-mentioned subscription models.
- The SOAR benefits: simplifying investigation and response
- Security Code Review: How the service works
- Integration of the automated response: the automations in SOCaaS
- Coordination between CTI and SOC: how to further raise the defenses
- New Cloud Server: redundant internet
- Quality certificate for the SOCaaS of SOD
- Managed Detection and Response: a new preventive approach
- CLUSIT: our collaboration for better services
- Backup as a Service (17)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (22)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (5)
- Log Management (2)
- News (21)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (14)
- Security (170)
- Web Hosting (15)
- What CISOs Can Do About Brand Impersonation Scam Sites February 3, 2023Apply these nine tips to proactively fight fraudulent websites that use your brand to rip people off.
- Iran-Backed Actor Behind 'Holy Souls' Cyberattack on Charlie Hebdo, Microsoft Says February 3, 2023The January attack was in retaliation for the satirical French magazine's decision to launch a cartoon contest to lampoon Iran's Supreme Leader.
- Scores of Redis Servers Infested by Sophisticated Custom-Built Malware February 3, 2023At least 1,200 Redis servers worldwide have been infected with "HeadCrab" cryptominers since 2021.
- How the Cloud Is Shifting CISO Priorities February 3, 2023The greatly expanding attack surface created by the cloud needs to be protected.
- MITRE Releases Tool to Design Cyber-Resilient Systems February 3, 2023Engineers can use the Cyber Resiliency Engineering Framework Navigator to visuzalize their cyber-resiliency capabilities.
- Hornetsecurity Combats QR Code Phishing With Launch of New Technology February 2, 2023
- Korelock Launches IOT Smart Lock Technology Company February 2, 2023Denver-based business secures Series A Funding through partnerships with Iron Gate Capital and Kozo Keikaku Engineering.
- Cyberattack on Fintech Firm Disrupts Derivatives Trading Globally February 2, 2023The Russia-linked LockBit ransomware group claims to be behind the attack that fouled automated transactions for dozens of clients of financial technology firm ION Group.
- 6 Examples of the Evolution of a Scam Site February 2, 2023Examining some key examples of recently found fraud sites that target the lucrative retail shoe industry helps us understand how brand impersonation sites evolve.
- Rising 'Firebrick Ostrich' BEC Group Launches Industrial-Scale Cyberattacks February 2, 2023The group's wanton attacks demonstrate that business email compromise is everything a hacker can want in one package: low risk, high reward, quick, easy, and low effort.
- Trovent Security Advisory 2203-01 / Micro Focus GroupWise transmits session ID in URL January 31, 2023Posted by Stefan Pietsch on Jan 30# Trovent Security Advisory 2203-01 # ##################################### Micro Focus GroupWise transmits session ID in URL ################################################# Overview ######## Advisory ID: TRSA-2203-01 Advisory version: 1.0 Advisory status: Public Advisory URL: https://trovent.io/security-advisory-2203-01 Affected product: Micro Focus GroupWise Affected version: prior to 18.4.2 Vendor: Micro Focus, https://www.microfocus.com...
- APPLE-SA-2023-01-24-1 tvOS 16.3 January 27, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Jan 26APPLE-SA-2023-01-24-1 tvOS 16.3 tvOS 16.3 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213601. AppleMobileFileIntegrity Available for: Apple TV 4K (all models) and Apple TV HD Impact: An app may be able to access user-sensitive data Description: This issue was addressed […]
- [SYSS-2022-047] Razer Synapse - Local Privilege Escalation January 27, 2023Posted by Oliver Schwarz via Fulldisclosure on Jan 26Advisory ID: SYSS-2022-047 Product: Razer Synapse Manufacturer: Razer Inc. Affected Version(s): Versions before 3.7.0830.081906 Tested Version(s): 3.7.0731.072516 Vulnerability Type: Improper Certificate Validation (CWE-295) Risk Level: High Solution Status: Open Manufacturer Notification: 2022-08-02 Solution Date: 2022-09-06 Public Disclosure:...
- t2'23: Call For Papers 2023 (Helsinki, Finland) January 24, 2023Posted by Tomi Tuominen via Fulldisclosure on Jan 23Call For Papers 2023 Tired of your bosses suspecting conference trips to exotic locations being just a ploy to partake in Security Vacation Club? Prove them wrong by coming to Helsinki, Finland on May 4-5 2023! Guaranteed lack of sunburn, good potential for rain or slush. In […]
- Re: HNS-2022-01 - HN Security Advisory - Multiple vulnerabilities in Solaris dtprintinfo and libXm/libXpm January 24, 2023Posted by Marco Ivaldi on Jan 23Hello again, Just a quick update. Mitre has assigned the following additional CVE IDs: * CVE-2023-24039 - Stack-based buffer overflow in libXm ParseColors * CVE-2023-24040 - Printer name injection and heap memory disclosure We have updated the advisory accordingly: https://github.com/hnsecurity/vulns/blob/main/HNS-2022-01-dtprintinfo.txt Regards, Marco
- APPLE-SA-2023-01-23-8 Safari 16.3 January 24, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Jan 23APPLE-SA-2023-01-23-8 Safari 16.3 Safari 16.3 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213600. WebKit Available for: macOS Big Sur and macOS Monterey Impact: Processing maliciously crafted web content may lead to arbitrary code execution Description: The issue was addressed with […]
- APPLE-SA-2023-01-23-7 watchOS 9.3 January 24, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Jan 23APPLE-SA-2023-01-23-7 watchOS 9.3 watchOS 9.3 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213599. AppleMobileFileIntegrity Available for: Apple Watch Series 4 and later Impact: An app may be able to access user-sensitive data Description: This issue was addressed by enabling hardened […]
- APPLE-SA-2023-01-23-6 macOS Big Sur 11.7.3 January 24, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Jan 23APPLE-SA-2023-01-23-6 macOS Big Sur 11.7.3 macOS Big Sur 11.7.3 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213603. AppleMobileFileIntegrity Available for: macOS Big Sur Impact: An app may be able to access user-sensitive data Description: This issue was addressed by enabling […]
- APPLE-SA-2023-01-23-5 macOS Monterey 12.6.3 January 24, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Jan 23APPLE-SA-2023-01-23-5 macOS Monterey 12.6.3 macOS Monterey 12.6.3 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213604. AppleMobileFileIntegrity Available for: macOS Monterey Impact: An app may be able to access user-sensitive data Description: This issue was addressed by enabling hardened runtime. CVE-2023-23499: […]
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes L'impatto crescente delle minacce informatiche, su sistemi operativi privati op… https://t.co/FimxTS4o9G
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The growing impact of cyber threats, on private or corporate operating systems… https://t.co/y6G6RYA9n1
Tempo di lettura stimato: 6 minuti Today we are talking about the CTI update of our services. Data security is… https://t.co/YAZkn7iFqa
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Il tema della sicurezza delle informazioni è di grande attualità in questo peri… https://t.co/tfve5Kzr09
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The issue of information security is very topical in this historical period ch… https://t.co/TP8gvdRcrF