Subscription business model – Basics
Subscription is a convenient way to receive updates, products or services on a regular and ongoing basis. This business model has stood the test of time. Over the years, satisfied customers have used regular services by subscribing news, magazines, CDs, wine and even opera tickets. And then the cloud arrived. The cloud has made IT complex easy and cheap, thanks to the familiar service delivery subscription model.
Today, public cloud computing services have revenues of $ 246.8 billion. By 2020, Gartner says, cloud adoption strategies will affect over 50% of IT outsourcing contracts. Service providers are rushing to get on board.
The subscription is an agreement to regularly receive products or services by paying in advance. It has become a default business model for service providers. Even those service integrators who have made their name by selling individual software licenses are currently switching to a subscription or a software-as-a-service service delivery method to stay alive and grow their customer base.
For customers, the subscription is based on practicality, scalability and economy. The consumption model of the OpEx-based subscription service beats the traditional CapEx model in all ways. Instead of spending hundreds and often thousands of euros on hardware devices and software licenses (and therefore worry about maintenance and upgrades), companies pay a manageable monthly fee just for what they use and only for the service they need.
There are two popular subscription models designed to attract new customers allowing them to try the service before engaging in a full subscription.
A freemium business model offers a free basic service and additional paid features. This has become one of the dominant business models in the mobile app market and is widely adopted by cloud-based service providers. LinkedIn, Dropbox, Yammer and millions of other vendors have adopted this model, using free features as a powerful marketing tool. Users are more likely to direct the service to others when it’s free and easy to use. There are also signs that the freemium model is even more successful than the 30-day trial because it relieves customers from the cumbersome cancellation process when they are trying out the service for the first time.
As with the Acronis Cloud Backup service, the Freemium option allows you to have a free plan for a computer with local backup storage and then charge a fee for additional services such as cloud storage and other devices.
Bait and Hook
This subscription business model offers to offer a basic service at a low price, or even free, and to charge the full price for additional resources. The origin of this subscription method is often attributed to Gillette, a razor company that is known for selling cheap razor kits and expensive blade refills. Today this model is widely used by mobile phone companies (free telephone with a long-term service plan), printer manufacturers (cheap printers, expensive ink) and many other companies where most of the revenue comes from consumables .
With the Acronis Cloud Backup service, on the other hand, you have a free plan with a limited amount of storage space in the Cloud. This will allow customers to register and try the fully functional service before purchasing additional Cloud storage to meet their needs. In this section you can consult the complete list of demo services that Secure Online Desktop makes available to its customers.
Acronis Cloud Backup
The Acronis Cloud Backup service is specifically designed to meet the ever-increasing needs of customers oriented to the above-mentioned subscription models.
- What is it for? Hadoop Security Data Lake (SDL)
- Secure Online Desktop achieves ISO 27001: the security certification for managed services
- SOCaaS and Active Defense Deception Webinar – Guide to the next cybersecurity online event
- Auditing IT della sicurezza: guida completa all’analisi proattiva di vulnerabilità e conformità
- CIS Controls and Vulnerability Assessment: practical guide to adopting best practices
- Kerberoasting: a threat to cybersecurity and how to mitigate it with Security Posture analysis
- Protect Your Business: Antivirus vs. SOC Service with EDR and Next Generation Antivirus (NGA)
- CSIRT and SOC: Differences between incident management and security monitoring
- Backup as a Service (17)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (22)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (5)
- Log Management (2)
- News (23)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (14)
- Security (191)
- Web Hosting (15)
- Keeper Security Survey Finds 82% of IT Leaders Want to Move Their On-Premises Privileged Access Management (PAM) Solution to the Cloud December 5, 2023
- Foresite Cybersecurity Partners With Crowdstrike December 5, 2023
- Mine Secures $30M in Series B Funding December 5, 2023
- Enveedo Closes $3.15M Seed Round to Help Businesses Build and Maintain Cyber Resiliency December 5, 2023
- Klarytee Raises $900k Pre-Seed Round to Make Data Secure by Default December 5, 2023
- Apple 'Lockdown Mode' Bypass Subverts Key iPhone Security Feature December 5, 2023Even the most severe security protections for mobile phones aren't all-encompassing or foolproof, as a tactic involving a spoof of lockdown mode shows.
- LLMs Open to Manipulation Using Doctored Images, Audio December 5, 2023As LLMs begin to integrate multimodal capabilities, attackers could use hidden instructions in images and audio to get a chatbot to respond the way they want, say researchers at Black Hat Europe 2023.
- Payments Giant Tipalti: No Ransomware Breach, No Threat to Roblox December 5, 2023BlackCat/ALPHV claims it has had access to the payments technology vendor's systems since September, and threatens follow-on attacks on its customer Roblox.
- SpyLoan Malicious App Downloaded 12M+ Times in Google Play December 5, 2023The fake financial app tricks users into signing up for high-interest payments, only to steal their information and blackmail them.
- Hackers Claim to Breach Israeli Defense Force Medical Data December 5, 2023The Malek Team, which previously hit a private college in Israel, claims responsibility for a hack of Israel's Ziv Medical Center.
- SEC Consult SA-20231123 :: Uninstall Key Caching in Fortra Digital Guardian Agent Uninstaller November 27, 2023Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20231123-0 > ======================================================================= title: Uninstall Key Caching product: Fortra Digital Guardian Agent Uninstaller (Data Loss Prevention) vulnerable version: Agent:
- SEC Consult SA-20231122 :: Multiple Vulnerabilities in m-privacy TightGate-Pro November 27, 2023Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20231122-0 > ======================================================================= title: Multiple Vulnerabilities product: m-privacy TightGate-Pro vulnerable version: Rolling Release, servers with the following package versions are vulnerable: tightgatevnc < 4.1.2~1 rsbac-policy-tgpro
- Senec Inverters Home V1, V2, V3 Home & Hybrid Use of Hard-coded Credentials - CVE-2023-39169 November 27, 2023Posted by Phos4Me via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27Sent through the Full Disclosure mailing list https://nmap.org/mailman/listinfo/fulldisclosure Web Archives & RSS: https://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/
- [SYSS-2023-019] SmartNode SN200 - Unauthenticated OS Command Injection November 27, 2023Posted by Maurizio Ruchay via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27Advisory ID: SYSS-2023-019 Product: SmartNode SN200 Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA) & VoIP Gateway Manufacturer: Patton LLC Affected Version(s):
- CVE-2023-46307 November 27, 2023Posted by Kevin on Nov 27running on the remote port specified during setup
- CVE-2023-46307 November 27, 2023Posted by Kevin on Nov 27While conducting a penetration test for a client, they were running an application called etc-browser which is a public GitHub project with a Docker container. While fuzzing the web server spun up with etcd-browser (which can run on any arbitrary port), the application had a Directory Traversal vulnerability that is […]
- Survey on usage of security advisories November 27, 2023Posted by Aurich, Janik on Nov 27Dear list members, we are looking for voluntary participants for our survey, which was developed in the context of a master thesis at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg. The goal of the survey is to determine potential difficulties that may occur when dealing with security advisories. The focus of the […]
- [CVE-2023-46386, CVE-2023-46387, CVE-2023-46388, CVE-2023-46389] Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec products (3) November 27, 2023Posted by Chizuru Toyama on Nov 27[+] CVE : CVE-2023-46386, CVE-2023-46387, CVE-2023-46388, CVE-2023-46389 [+] Title : Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec L-INX Automation Servers [+] Vendor : LOYTEC electronics GmbH [+] Affected Product(s) : LINX-151, Firmware 7.2.4, LINX-212, firmware 6.2.4 [+] Affected Components : L-INX Automation Servers [+] Discovery Date :...
- [CVE-2023-46383, CVE-2023-46384, CVE-2023-46385] Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec products (2) November 27, 2023Posted by Chizuru Toyama on Nov 27[+] CVE : CVE-2023-46383, CVE-2023-46384, CVE-2023-46385 [+] Title : Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec LINX Configurator [+] Vendor : LOYTEC electronics GmbH [+] Affected Product(s) : LINX Configurator 7.4.10 [+] Affected Components : LINX Configurator [+] Discovery Date : 01-Sep-2021 [+] Publication date : 03-Nov-2023 [+]...
- Senec Inverters Home V1, V2, V3 Home & Hybrid Exposure of the Username to an Unauthorized Actor - CVE-2023-39168 November 12, 2023Posted by Phos4Me via Fulldisclosure on Nov 12Sent through the Full Disclosure mailing list https://nmap.org/mailman/listinfo/fulldisclosure Web Archives & RSS: https://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes L'impatto crescente delle minacce informatiche, su sistemi operativi privati op… https://t.co/FimxTS4o9G
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The growing impact of cyber threats, on private or corporate operating systems… https://t.co/y6G6RYA9n1
Tempo di lettura stimato: 6 minuti Today we are talking about the CTI update of our services. Data security is… https://t.co/YAZkn7iFqa
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Il tema della sicurezza delle informazioni è di grande attualità in questo peri… https://t.co/tfve5Kzr09
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The issue of information security is very topical in this historical period ch… https://t.co/TP8gvdRcrF