The importance of Cyber Threat Intelligence
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
In another article we have already talked about Cyber Threat Intelligence explaining what it is, how it works and its various types. Today, however, we will focus more on the importance of Cyber Threat Intelligence , deepening how it can be useful for companies to provide answers in the security field, containing risks and providing information that support incident response. & nbsp;
The importance of Cyber Threat Intelligence
In a world where technologies and cyber threats are constantly evolving, a company cannot afford to overlook the importance of Cyber Threat Intelligence. Every day on the web there are countless cyber attacks and data thefts to the detriment of companies and individuals. These large amounts of information are then cataloged and sold illegally on the Dark Web.
Hackers usually sell information on this part of the web because it guarantees them anonymity. In fact, unlike the traditional web, in order to access these virtual places, you must use a browser that masks your IP address. This complicates the authorities’ tracking of criminals and makes the dark web a completely anonymous place.
One of the objectives of the CTI is to monitor the information present in this large part of the web for analytical purposes. The aim is to prevent and limit the damage that this data could cause.
Monitoring the Dark Web and the Deep Web
Often, when we talk about the Deep Web and the Dark Web, we think that there are only and exclusively illegal activities, but that is not correct. There are also forums, blogs and websites that aim to disseminate information that is difficult to find on the traditional web.
Unfortunately, it is also true that criminals use this section of the network to sell all kinds of information . These include telephone numbers, email addresses, bank details, documents, passports, administrative login credentials for websites. There is practically everything.
This kind of information, in the hands of an attacker (or a competitor), could compromise the integrity of an entire company, its employees and its customers. The consequences of a data breach could also manifest themselves in the form of damage to the company’s reputation.
When a customer provides his personal data to a company, he expects them to be treated with the utmost respect. Customers may feel “betrayed” by the company that should have guaranteed them the security of their personal information.
A striking example was the data theft that occurred in 2019 against Facebook Inc. ( Source )
533 million personal data belonging to users of the platform are been stolen, divided by 106 countries and distributed for free on the web, bringing the company back to the center of controversy.
Companies looking to protect their customer, supplier and employee data invest in analytics and monitoring tools.
By relying on professionals, it is possible to promptly receive a notice whenever sensitive information is published on a forum or website on the Dark Web. For this reason the importance of Cyber Threat Intelligence plays a key role in the business cybersecurity branch.
Monitoring the Dark Web therefore means having the possibility of being able to promptly detect any sensitive information before it can cause problems for companies.
Tools for monitoring the Dark Web
Being a portion of the internet that is difficult to access and not indexed by search engines, analyzing and monitoring resources on the Deep Web becomes more complicated. For this reason, we are helped by various tools designed with the aim of simplifying the investigation and analysis process.
One piece of software that could help you during an investigation is Onionscan, a completely free Open Source program.
The Onionscan project and the CTI
The Onionscan project has two objectives:
– Helping operators find and solve operational security problems
– Help researchers monitor and track sites on the Deep Web
The software can be downloaded from the dedicated Github page, which also contains an installation guide and a list of dependencies required to run the software.
Once installed, to use it, simply type in the command line:
Of course, just accessing a tool like this isn’t enough to provide effective coverage. In fact, the importance of Cyber Threat Intelligence lies largely in knowing how to perform searches and interpret data.
We have seen what a Dark Web monitoring activity is and how it works and above all we have begun to understand the importance of Cyber Threat Intelligence.
Investing in these solutions guarantees additional security for the company. Securing the data of its customers and employees cannot be optional, every company should be sensitive to these issues and invest their resources to prevent unpleasant situations.
SOD offers a dedicated service which aims to provide valuable CTI information for proactive defense and resolution of critical issues before they become real problems.
If you need further information, do not hesitate to contact us, we are ready to answer all your questions.
- The SOAR benefits: simplifying investigation and response
- Security Code Review: How the service works
- Integration of the automated response: the automations in SOCaaS
- Coordination between CTI and SOC: how to further raise the defenses
- New Cloud Server: redundant internet
- Quality certificate for the SOCaaS of SOD
- Managed Detection and Response: a new preventive approach
- CLUSIT: our collaboration for better services
- Backup as a Service (17)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (22)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (5)
- Log Management (2)
- News (21)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (14)
- Security (170)
- Web Hosting (15)
- Enterprises Don't Know What to Buy for Responsible AI January 27, 2023Organizations are struggling to procure appropriate technical tools to address responsible AI, such as consistent bias detection in AI applications.
- Enterprises Need to Do More to Assure Consumers About Privacy January 27, 2023Organizations care about data privacy, but their priorities appear to be different from what their customers think are important.
- Why Most Companies Still Don’t Know What’s on Their Network January 27, 2023Chris Kirsch, CEO of runZero, sits down with Dark Reading’sTerry Sweeney for a Fast Chat on the importance of asset discovery.
- On Data Privacy Day, Organizations Fail Data Privacy Expectations January 27, 2023Data Privacy Day rolls around year after year, and data privacy breaches likewise. Two-thirds of data breaches result in data exposure.
- Critical RCE Lexmark Printer Bug Has Public Exploit January 27, 2023A nasty SSRF bug in Web Services plagues a laundry list of enterprise printers.
- Google: Influence Operator Dragonbridge Floods Social Media in Sprawling Cyber Campaign January 27, 2023Google has mounted a massive takedown, but Dragonbridge's extensive capabilities for generating and distributing vast amounts of largely spammy content calls into question the motivation behind the group.
- How Noob Website Hackers Can Become Persistent Threats January 27, 2023An academic analysis of website defacement behavior by 241 new hackers shows there are four clear trajectories they can take in future, researchers say.
- 3 Ways ChatGPT Will Change Infosec in 2023 January 27, 2023OpenAI's chatbot has the promise to revolutionize how security practitioners work.
- Riot Games Latest Video-Game Maker to Suffer Breach January 26, 2023Highlighting continued attacks on game developers, attackers stole source code from and issued a ransom demand to the maker of League of Legends.
- A Child's Garden of Cybersecurity January 26, 2023Whether you dream of your child growing into a CISO or just want them to improve their security hygiene, consider this roundup of literary geekery.
- APPLE-SA-2023-01-24-1 tvOS 16.3 January 27, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Jan 26APPLE-SA-2023-01-24-1 tvOS 16.3 tvOS 16.3 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213601. AppleMobileFileIntegrity Available for: Apple TV 4K (all models) and Apple TV HD Impact: An app may be able to access user-sensitive data Description: This issue was addressed […]
- [SYSS-2022-047] Razer Synapse - Local Privilege Escalation January 27, 2023Posted by Oliver Schwarz via Fulldisclosure on Jan 26Advisory ID: SYSS-2022-047 Product: Razer Synapse Manufacturer: Razer Inc. Affected Version(s): Versions before 3.7.0830.081906 Tested Version(s): 3.7.0731.072516 Vulnerability Type: Improper Certificate Validation (CWE-295) Risk Level: High Solution Status: Open Manufacturer Notification: 2022-08-02 Solution Date: 2022-09-06 Public Disclosure:...
- t2'23: Call For Papers 2023 (Helsinki, Finland) January 24, 2023Posted by Tomi Tuominen via Fulldisclosure on Jan 23Call For Papers 2023 Tired of your bosses suspecting conference trips to exotic locations being just a ploy to partake in Security Vacation Club? Prove them wrong by coming to Helsinki, Finland on May 4-5 2023! Guaranteed lack of sunburn, good potential for rain or slush. In […]
- Re: HNS-2022-01 - HN Security Advisory - Multiple vulnerabilities in Solaris dtprintinfo and libXm/libXpm January 24, 2023Posted by Marco Ivaldi on Jan 23Hello again, Just a quick update. Mitre has assigned the following additional CVE IDs: * CVE-2023-24039 - Stack-based buffer overflow in libXm ParseColors * CVE-2023-24040 - Printer name injection and heap memory disclosure We have updated the advisory accordingly: https://github.com/hnsecurity/vulns/blob/main/HNS-2022-01-dtprintinfo.txt Regards, Marco
- APPLE-SA-2023-01-23-8 Safari 16.3 January 24, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Jan 23APPLE-SA-2023-01-23-8 Safari 16.3 Safari 16.3 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213600. WebKit Available for: macOS Big Sur and macOS Monterey Impact: Processing maliciously crafted web content may lead to arbitrary code execution Description: The issue was addressed with […]
- APPLE-SA-2023-01-23-7 watchOS 9.3 January 24, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Jan 23APPLE-SA-2023-01-23-7 watchOS 9.3 watchOS 9.3 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213599. AppleMobileFileIntegrity Available for: Apple Watch Series 4 and later Impact: An app may be able to access user-sensitive data Description: This issue was addressed by enabling hardened […]
- APPLE-SA-2023-01-23-6 macOS Big Sur 11.7.3 January 24, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Jan 23APPLE-SA-2023-01-23-6 macOS Big Sur 11.7.3 macOS Big Sur 11.7.3 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213603. AppleMobileFileIntegrity Available for: macOS Big Sur Impact: An app may be able to access user-sensitive data Description: This issue was addressed by enabling […]
- APPLE-SA-2023-01-23-5 macOS Monterey 12.6.3 January 24, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Jan 23APPLE-SA-2023-01-23-5 macOS Monterey 12.6.3 macOS Monterey 12.6.3 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213604. AppleMobileFileIntegrity Available for: macOS Monterey Impact: An app may be able to access user-sensitive data Description: This issue was addressed by enabling hardened runtime. CVE-2023-23499: […]
- APPLE-SA-2023-01-23-4 macOS Ventura 13.2 January 24, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Jan 23APPLE-SA-2023-01-23-4 macOS Ventura 13.2 macOS Ventura 13.2 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213605. AppleMobileFileIntegrity Available for: macOS Ventura Impact: An app may be able to access user-sensitive data Description: This issue was addressed by enabling hardened runtime. CVE-2023-23499: […]
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes L'impatto crescente delle minacce informatiche, su sistemi operativi privati op… https://t.co/FimxTS4o9G
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The growing impact of cyber threats, on private or corporate operating systems… https://t.co/y6G6RYA9n1
Tempo di lettura stimato: 6 minuti Today we are talking about the CTI update of our services. Data security is… https://t.co/YAZkn7iFqa
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Il tema della sicurezza delle informazioni è di grande attualità in questo peri… https://t.co/tfve5Kzr09
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The issue of information security is very topical in this historical period ch… https://t.co/TP8gvdRcrF