The importance of Cyber Threat Intelligence
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
In another article we have already talked about Cyber Threat Intelligence explaining what it is, how it works and its various types. Today, however, we will focus more on the importance of Cyber Threat Intelligence , deepening how it can be useful for companies to provide answers in the security field, containing risks and providing information that support incident response. & nbsp;
The importance of Cyber Threat Intelligence
In a world where technologies and cyber threats are constantly evolving, a company cannot afford to overlook the importance of Cyber Threat Intelligence. Every day on the web there are countless cyber attacks and data thefts to the detriment of companies and individuals. These large amounts of information are then cataloged and sold illegally on the Dark Web.
Hackers usually sell information on this part of the web because it guarantees them anonymity. In fact, unlike the traditional web, in order to access these virtual places, you must use a browser that masks your IP address. This complicates the authorities’ tracking of criminals and makes the dark web a completely anonymous place.
One of the objectives of the CTI is to monitor the information present in this large part of the web for analytical purposes. The aim is to prevent and limit the damage that this data could cause.
Monitoring the Dark Web and the Deep Web
Often, when we talk about the Deep Web and the Dark Web, we think that there are only and exclusively illegal activities, but that is not correct. There are also forums, blogs and websites that aim to disseminate information that is difficult to find on the traditional web.
Unfortunately, it is also true that criminals use this section of the network to sell all kinds of information . These include telephone numbers, email addresses, bank details, documents, passports, administrative login credentials for websites. There is practically everything.
This kind of information, in the hands of an attacker (or a competitor), could compromise the integrity of an entire company, its employees and its customers. The consequences of a data breach could also manifest themselves in the form of damage to the company’s reputation.
When a customer provides his personal data to a company, he expects them to be treated with the utmost respect. Customers may feel “betrayed” by the company that should have guaranteed them the security of their personal information.
A striking example was the data theft that occurred in 2019 against Facebook Inc. ( Source )
533 million personal data belonging to users of the platform are been stolen, divided by 106 countries and distributed for free on the web, bringing the company back to the center of controversy.
Companies looking to protect their customer, supplier and employee data invest in analytics and monitoring tools.
By relying on professionals, it is possible to promptly receive a notice whenever sensitive information is published on a forum or website on the Dark Web. For this reason the importance of Cyber Threat Intelligence plays a key role in the business cybersecurity branch.
Monitoring the Dark Web therefore means having the possibility of being able to promptly detect any sensitive information before it can cause problems for companies.
Tools for monitoring the Dark Web
Being a portion of the internet that is difficult to access and not indexed by search engines, analyzing and monitoring resources on the Deep Web becomes more complicated. For this reason, we are helped by various tools designed with the aim of simplifying the investigation and analysis process.
One piece of software that could help you during an investigation is Onionscan, a completely free Open Source program.
The Onionscan project and the CTI
The Onionscan project has two objectives:
– Helping operators find and solve operational security problems
– Help researchers monitor and track sites on the Deep Web
The software can be downloaded from the dedicated Github page, which also contains an installation guide and a list of dependencies required to run the software.
Once installed, to use it, simply type in the command line:
Of course, just accessing a tool like this isn’t enough to provide effective coverage. In fact, the importance of Cyber Threat Intelligence lies largely in knowing how to perform searches and interpret data.
We have seen what a Dark Web monitoring activity is and how it works and above all we have begun to understand the importance of Cyber Threat Intelligence.
Investing in these solutions guarantees additional security for the company. Securing the data of its customers and employees cannot be optional, every company should be sensitive to these issues and invest their resources to prevent unpleasant situations.
SOD offers a dedicated service which aims to provide valuable CTI information for proactive defense and resolution of critical issues before they become real problems.
If you need further information, do not hesitate to contact us, we are ready to answer all your questions.
- The SOAR benefits: simplifying investigation and response
- Security Code Review: How the service works
- Integration of the automated response: the automations in SOCaaS
- Coordination between CTI and SOC: how to further raise the defenses
- New Cloud Server: redundant internet
- Quality certificate for the SOCaaS of SOD
- Managed Detection and Response: a new preventive approach
- CLUSIT: our collaboration for better services
- Backup as a Service (17)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (22)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (5)
- Log Management (2)
- News (21)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (15)
- Security (169)
- Web Hosting (15)
- Authentication Is Static, Yet Attackers Are Dynamic: Filling the Critical Gap May 20, 2022To succeed against dynamic cybercriminals, organizations must go multiple steps further and build a learning system that evolves over time to keep up with attacker tactics.
- New Open Source Project Brings Consistent Identity Access to Multicloud May 20, 2022Hexa and IDQL allows organizations using cloud platforms such as Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services, and Google Cloud Platform to apply consistent access policy across all applications, regardless of environment.
- More Than 1,000 Cybersecurity Career Pursuers Complete the (ISC)² Entry-Level Cybersecurity Certification Pilot Exam May 19, 2022New professional certification program establishes a pathway into the workforce for students and career changers by demonstrating their foundational knowledge, skills and abilities to employers.
- Deadbolt Ransomware Targeting QNAP NAS Devices May 19, 2022QNAP is urging customers of its NAS products to update QTS and avoid exposing the devices to the Internet.
- Pro-Russian Information Operations Escalate in Ukraine War May 19, 2022In the three months since the war started, Russian operatives and those allied with the nation's interests have unleashed a deluge of disinformation and fake news to try and sow fear and confusion in Ukraine, security vendor says.
- DoJ Won't Charge 'Good Faith' Security Researchers May 19, 2022Revised policy means security analysts won't be charged under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
- Majority of Kubernetes API Servers Exposed to the Public Internet May 19, 2022Shadowserver Foundation researchers find 380,000 open Kubernetes API servers.
- Dig Exits Stealth With $11M for Cloud Data Detection and Response Solution May 19, 2022CrowdStrike and CyberArk invest in Dig's seed round, which was led by Team8, alongside Merlin Ventures and chairs of MongoDB and Exabeam.
- 6 Scary Tactics Used in Mobile App Attacks May 19, 2022Mobile attacks have been going on for many years, but the threat is rapidly evolving as more sophisticated malware families with novel features enter the scene.
- Phishing Attacks for Initial Access Surged 54% in Q1 May 19, 2022For the first time in a year, security incidents involving email compromises surpassed ransomware incidents, a new analysis shows.
- SEC Consult SA-20220518-0 :: Multiple Critical Vulnerabilities in SAP® Application Server, ABAP and ABAP® Platform (Different Software Components) May 18, 2022Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on May 18SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20220518-0 > ======================================================================= title: Multiple Critical Vulnerabilities product: SAP® Application Server ABAP and ABAP® Platform (Different Software Components) vulnerable version: see section "Vulnerable / tested versions" fixed version: see SAP security notes...
- PHPIPAM 1.4.4 - CVE-2021-46426 May 18, 2022Posted by Rodolfo Augusto do Nascimento Tavares via Fulldisclosure on May 18=====[ Tempest Security Intelligence - ADV-03/2022 ]========================== PHPIPAM - Version 1.4.4 Author: Rodolfo Tavares Tempest Security Intelligence - Recife, Pernambuco - Brazil =====[ Table of Contents ]================================================== * Overview * Detailed description * Timeline of disclosure * Thanks & Acknowledgements * References =====[ Vulnerability […]
- LiquidFiles - 3.4.15 - Stored XSS - CVE-2021-30140 May 18, 2022Posted by Rodolfo Augusto do Nascimento Tavares via Fulldisclosure on May 18=====[ Tempest Security Intelligence - ADV-12/2021 ]========================== LiquidFiles - 3.4.15 Author: Rodolfo Tavares Tempest Security Intelligence - Recife, Pernambuco - Brazil =====[ Table of Contents]================================================== * Overview * Detailed description * Timeline of disclosure * Thanks & Acknowledgements * References =====[ Vulnerability...
- Watch multiple LockBit Ransom get DESTROYED Mass PWNAGE at scale! May 18, 2022Posted by malvuln on May 18Watch multiple LockBit Ransom get DESTROYED Mass PWNAGE at scale! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3l8a_HSSU
- github.com/malvuln/RansomDLLs / Catalog of current DLLs affecting vulnerable Ransomware strains. May 18, 2022Posted by malvuln on May 18Reference list for my Ransomware exploitation research. Lists current DLLs I have seen to date that some ransomware search for, which I have used successfully to hijack and intercept vulnerable strains executing arbitrary code pre-encryption. https://github.com/malvuln/RansomDLLs
- APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-2 macOS Monterey 12.4 May 17, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on May 16APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-2 macOS Monterey 12.4 macOS Monterey 12.4 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213257. AMD Available for: macOS Monterey Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges Description: A memory corruption issue was addressed […]
- APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-6 tvOS 15.5 May 17, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on May 16APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-6 tvOS 15.5 tvOS 15.5 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213254. AppleAVD Available for: Apple TV 4K, Apple TV 4K (2nd generation), and Apple TV HD Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel […]
- APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-5 watchOS 8.6 May 17, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on May 16APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-5 watchOS 8.6 watchOS 8.6 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213253. AppleAVD Available for: Apple Watch Series 3 and later Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges Description: A use after free […]
- APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-3 macOS Big Sur 11.6.6 May 17, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on May 16APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-3 macOS Big Sur 11.6.6 macOS Big Sur 11.6.6 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213256. apache Available for: macOS Big Sur Impact: Multiple issues in apache Description: Multiple issues were addressed by updating apache to version 2.4.53. CVE-2021-44224 […]
- APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-1 iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5 May 17, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on May 16APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-1 iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5 iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213258. AppleAVD Available for: iPhone 6s and later, iPad Pro (all models), iPad Air 2 and later, iPad 5th generation and later, […]
Security Awareness, la sicurezza aziendale parte dai dipendenti. L'ingegneria sociale fa spesso leva sull'ignoranza… https://t.co/nGAs70Ofn5
Torna all'inizio Scopri i nostri servizi di Cyber SecurityTroverai sicuramente quello che fa al caso tuo Se vuoi m… https://t.co/Emm5kUfFc4
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Today we see one of the latest additions to our SOCaaS, the Autonomous Threat… https://t.co/QNvHnKbEqq
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The Security Code Review (SCR) service is increasingly used by companies l… https://t.co/rJmYXr1oCj
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Il servizio di Security Code Review (SCR) è sempre più utilizzato dalle aziende… https://t.co/g2ho2C8FYh