A virtual server or virtual private server (VPS) is a fully-fledged server with its own operating system and well-defined hardware features only that unlike a classic server it shares physical resources with other virtual machines in this way more VPS can be run simultaneously on the same server (hypervisor).
This virtualization technique allows significant cost savings and an optimization of hardware resources as it is possible to run multiple operating systems on the same hardware.
Virtual server – Pros/Cons
♦ Migration: It is possible to “move” (migrate) a VPS from one server (hypervisor) to another (even without interruption of service).
Example: You have created a VPS on a hypervisor in Italy and you want to move it to a server in America. With a VPS, as long as the Cloud Provider has another Datacenter in America, this can be done quickly.
♦ Scalability: It is the possibility of increasing or decreasing the hardware resources (CPU, RAM, Disk, etc) without rebuilding the VPS and in some cases without restarting it in full transparency to users who use the services provided.
Example: A VPS of 2 cores, 1 GB of RAM and 20 GB of disk has been created but after a few months we realize that the RAM memory is insufficient for the services provided and it is necessary to increase it. With a VPS it is very easy to solve this problem, just increase the RAM from the configuration panel and the new configuration will be applied (in the case of linux systems without the need to reboot).
♦ Autoscaling: It is the possibility to increase or decrease the resources (scaling) automatically according to well defined hardware policies. This technique is extremely valid in cases of load peaks.
Example: A VPS has been created with 2 cores, 1 GB of RAM and 20 GB but in some periods of the year due to the high user access these resources are not sufficient, then in this case it is possible to configure these policies:
a) If the CPU is at 90% for more than 1h then the CPU of a core increases every 30min for a maximum of 6 cores and then if the CPU is less than 10% for more than 1h decrease the CPU of a core every 30 min up to a minimum of 2 cores.
b) If the RAM is 99% for more than 1h then increase the RAM of 1Gb every 30min for a maximum of 32Gb and then if the RAM is less than 50% for more than 1h decrease the RAM of a core every 30 min until at a minimum of 1Gb.
♦ Low cost: by comparing the cost of a VPS to that of a fiscal server like hardware resources, the cost of a VPS is much lower, especially considering that some cost items are already included in the VPS fee. :
a) Energy consumption;
b) Internet band;
c) Cost of public IP addresses;
d) Costs related to housing (cooling, surveillance, etc);
f) Technical assistance.
♦ Shared resources: Depending on the configurations and characteristics of the Cloud Provider, some hardware resources, such as the CPU, could be shared so performance may be lower than a physical server. This condition is not always true as it is possible to request a 100% allocation on all hardware resources to your Cloud Provider.
Virtual server – Limits:
- ♦ OS Virtualization: Not all operating systems and platforms can be virtualized (Eg AS400, Apple OS).
- ♦ Band: Although this is not an inherent problem of virtualization itself there could be latency differences in the Internet connection between a physical server in the company and a VPS if users are predominantly within the company and if the company has not an adequate Internet line.
Example: A physical server in the customer’s DMZ is accessed by its LAN users via a 10Gb line, if the server is virtualized and becomes a VPS at a Cloud provider, access to it is transmitted via the client’s Internet line which may be more slow.
Virtual server – False myths
- ♦ A VPS does not have the same performance as a physical server: By allocating 100% of the physical resources and correctly dimensioning a VPS the latter has nothing to envy to a physical server from a performance point of view.
- ♦ A VPS is less secure than a physical server: A VPS can have the same degree of security as a physical server because it is possible to adopt the same security measures (Firewall, Antivirus, Hardening, VPN) applicable to a Fiscal server.
Check out the Cloud Server
- The SOAR benefits: simplifying investigation and response
- Security Code Review: How the service works
- Integration of the automated response: the automations in SOCaaS
- Coordination between CTI and SOC: how to further raise the defenses
- New Cloud Server: redundant internet
- Quality certificate for the SOCaaS of SOD
- Managed Detection and Response: a new preventive approach
- CLUSIT: our collaboration for better services
- Backup as a Service (17)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (22)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (5)
- Log Management (2)
- News (21)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (15)
- Security (170)
- Web Hosting (15)
- Drupal H5P Module <= 2.0.0 (isValidPackage) Zip Slip Vulnerability December 3, 2022Posted by Egidio Romano on Dec 03------------------------------------------------------------------ Drupal H5P Module
- CyberDanube Security Research 20221124-0 | Authenticated Command Injection Hirschmann BAT-C2 November 29, 2022Posted by Thomas Weber on Nov 29CyberDanube Security Research 20221124-0 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- title| Authenticated Command Injection product| Hirschmann (Belden) BAT-C2 vulnerable version| 18.104.22.168R8 fixed version| 09.13.01.00R04 CVE number| CVE-2022-40282 impact| High ...
- Exploiting an N-day vBulletin PHP Object Injection Vulnerability November 29, 2022Posted by Egidio Romano on Nov 29Hello list, Just wanted to share with you my latest blog post: http://karmainsecurity.com/exploiting-an-nday-vbulletin-php-object-injection Best regards, /EgiX
- Win32.Ransom.Conti / Crypto Logic Flaw November 29, 2022Posted by malvuln on Nov 29Discovery / credits: Malvuln (John Page aka hyp3rlinx) (c) 2022 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/99e55ce93392068c970384ab24a0e13d.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Backup media: infosec.exchange/@malvuln Threat: Win32.Ransom.Conti Vulnerability: Crypto Logic Flaw Description: Conti ransomware FAILS to encrypt non PE files that have a ".exe" in the filename. Creating specially crafted file names...
- Ransomware Deception Tactics Part 1 November 29, 2022Posted by malvuln on Nov 29Did you know? some Ransomware like CONTI and others will FAIL to encrypt non PE files that have a ".exe" in the filename. Test.exe.docx Test.exe.pdf Conti MD5: 9eb9197cd58f4417a27621c4e1b25a71 ATOMSILO MD5: 5559e9f5e1645f8554ea020a29a5a3ee
- Trojan.Win32.DarkNeuron.gen / Named Pipe Null DACL November 29, 2022Posted by malvuln on Nov 29Discovery / credits: Malvuln (John Page aka hyp3rlinx) (c) 2022 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/d891c9374ccb2a4cae2274170e8644d8.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Backup media: infosec.exchange/@malvuln Threat: Trojan.Win32.DarkNeuron.gen Vulnerability: Named Pipe Null DACL Family: DarkNeuron (Turla Group) Type: PE32 MD5: d891c9374ccb2a4cae2274170e8644d8 Vuln ID: MVID-2022-0661 Disclosure: 11/24/2022...
- Backdoor.Win32.Autocrat.b / Weak Hardcoded Credentials November 29, 2022Posted by malvuln on Nov 29Discovery / credits: Malvuln (John Page aka hyp3rlinx) (c) 2022 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/4262a8b52b902aa2e6bf02a156d1b8d4.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Backup media: infosec.exchange/@malvuln Threat: Backdoor.Win32.Autocrat.b Vulnerability: Weak Hardcoded Credentials Description: The malware is packed with PeCompact, listens on TCP port 8536 and requires authentication. However, the password...
- Backdoor.Win32.Serman.a / Unauthenticated Open Proxy November 29, 2022Posted by malvuln on Nov 29Discovery / credits: Malvuln (John Page aka hyp3rlinx) (c) 2022 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/f312e3a436995b86b205a1a37b1bf10f.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Backup media: infosec.exchange/@malvuln Threat: Backdoor.Win32.Serman.a Vulnerability: Unauthenticated Open Proxy Family: Serman Type: PE32 MD5: f312e3a436995b86b205a1a37b1bf10f Vuln ID: MVID-2022-0659 Disclosure: 11/22/2022 Description: The...
- Open-Xchange Security Advisory 2022-11-24 November 29, 2022Posted by Martin Heiland via Fulldisclosure on Nov 29Dear subscribers, we're sharing our latest advisory with you and like to thank everyone who contributed in finding and solving those vulnerabilities. Feel free to join our bug bounty programs for OX AppSuite, Dovecot and PowerDNS at HackerOne and soon at YesWeHack. Yours sincerely, Martin Heiland, Open-Xchange […]
- [CVE-2022-33942] Intel Data Center Manager Console <= 22.214.171.124749 ”UserMgmtHandler" Authentication Logic Error Leading to Authentication Bypass November 29, 2022Posted by Julien Ahrens (RCE Security) on Nov 29RCE Security Advisory https://www.rcesecurity.com 1. ADVISORY INFORMATION ======================= Product: Intel Data Center Manager Vendor URL: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/tools/data-center-manager-console/overview.html Type: Authentication Bypass by Spoofing [CWE-290] Date found: 2022-06-01 Date published: 2022-11-23 CVSSv3 Score: 10.0 (CVSS:3.1/AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:N/S:C/C:H/I:H/A:H) CVE:...
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes L'impatto crescente delle minacce informatiche, su sistemi operativi privati op… https://t.co/FimxTS4o9G
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The growing impact of cyber threats, on private or corporate operating systems… https://t.co/y6G6RYA9n1
Tempo di lettura stimato: 6 minuti Today we are talking about the CTI update of our services. Data security is… https://t.co/YAZkn7iFqa
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Il tema della sicurezza delle informazioni è di grande attualità in questo peri… https://t.co/tfve5Kzr09
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The issue of information security is very topical in this historical period ch… https://t.co/TP8gvdRcrF