A virtual server (Cloud server) or VPS (Virtual Private Server) is a full-fledged server with its own operating system and well-defined hardware features only that unlike a classic server it shares physical resources with other virtual machines in this way multiple VPS can run simultaneously on the same server (hypervisor).
This virtualization technique allows significant cost savings and an optimization of hardware resources as it is possible to run multiple operating systems on the same hardware.
VPS – Advantages / Disadvantages
♦ Migration: It is possible to “move” (migrate) a VPS from one server (hypervisor) to another (even without interruption of service).
Example: You have created a server on a hypervisor in Italy and you want to move it to a server in America. With a VPS, as long as the Cloud Provider has another Datacenter in America, this can be done quickly.
♦ Scalability: It is the possibility of increasing or decreasing the hardware resources (CPU, RAM, Disk, etc) without rebuilding the VPS and in some cases without restarting it in full transparency to users who use the services provided.
Example: A VPS of 2 cores, 1 GB of RAM and 20 GB of disk has been created but after a few months we realize that the RAM memory is insufficient for the services provided and it is necessary to increase it. With a VPS it is very easy to solve this problem, just increase the RAM from the configuration panel and the new configuration will be applied (in the case of linux systems without the need to reboot).
♦ Autoscaling: It is the possibility to increase or decrease the resources (scaling) automatically according to well defined hardware policies. This technique is extremely valid in cases of load peaks.
Example: A VPS has been created with 2 cores, 1 GB of RAM and 20 GB but in some periods of the year due to the high user access these resources are not sufficient, then in this case it is possible to configure these policies:
a) If the CPU is at 90% for more than 1h then the CPU of a core increases every 30min for a maximum of 6 cores and then if the CPU is less than 10% for more than 1h decrease the CPU of a core every 30 min up to a minimum of 2 cores.
b) If the RAM is 99% for more than 1h then increase the RAM of 1Gb every 30min for a maximum of 32Gb and then if the RAM is less than 50% for more than 1h decrease the RAM of a core every 30 min until at a minimum of 1Gb.
♦ Low cost: by comparing the cost of a VPS to that of a fiscal server like hardware resources, the cost of a VPS is much lower, especially considering that some cost items are already included in the VPS fee. :
a) Energy consumption;
b) Internet band;
c) Cost of public IP addresses;
d) Costs related to housing (cooling, surveillance, etc);
f) Technical assistance.
♦ Shared resources: Depending on the configurations and characteristics of the Cloud Provider, some hardware resources, such as the CPU, could be shared so performance may be lower than a physical server. This condition is not always true as it is possible to request a 100% allocation on all hardware resources to your Cloud Provider.
♦ OS Virtualization: Not all operating systems and platforms can be virtualized (Eg AS400, Apple OS).
♦ Band: Although this is not an inherent problem of virtualization itself there could be latency differences in the Internet connection between a physical server in the company and a VPS if users are predominantly within the company and if the company has not an adequate Internet line.
Example: A physical server in the customer’s DMZ is accessed by its LAN users via a 10Gb line, if the server is virtualized and becomes a VPS at a Cloud provider, access to it is transmitted via the client’s Internet line which may be more slow.
♦ A VPS does not have the same performance as a physical server: By allocating 100% of the physical resources and correctly dimensioning a VPS the latter has nothing to envy to a physical server from a performance point of view.
♦ A VPS is less secure than a physical server: A VPS can have the same degree of security as a physical server because it is possible to adopt the same security measures (Firewall, Antivirus, Hardening, VPN) applicable to a Fiscal server.
- Hadoop Open Data Model: “open” data collection
- Pass the Ticket: how to mitigate it with a SOCaaS
- Use cases of a SOCaaS for companies part 2
- Use cases of a SOCaaS for companies part 1
- NIST Cybersecurity Framework
- “Left of boom” and “right of boom”: having a winning strategy
- Smishing: a fraud similar to phishing
- Network Traffic Analyzer: an extra gear for the Next Gen SIEM
- Backup as a Service (17)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (20)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (4)
- Log Management (2)
- News (18)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (14)
- Security (148)
- Web Hosting (15)
- Kovrr Translates Cyber Risk into Business Impact with its Quantum Platform January 18, 2022On-demand cyber risk quantification platform enables C-suite to prioritize and justify cybersecurity investments through financial quantification.
- Europol Shuts Down Popular Cybercriminal VPN Service January 18, 2022VPNLab was used to support criminal activity, including ransomware campaigns and other attacks, Europol officials report.
- US Search for Vulnerabilities Drives 10x Increase in Bug Reports January 18, 2022Cross-site scripting and broken access controls continued to be the top classes of vulnerabilities researchers discovered, according to Bugcrowd's annual vulnerability report.
- Name That Toon: Nowhere to Hide January 18, 2022Feeling creative? Submit your caption and our panel of experts will reward the winner with a $25 Amazon gift card.
- 5 Reasons Why M&A Is the Engine Driving Cybersecurity January 18, 2022Consistent acquisition of key technologies and talent is a proven strategy for growth.
- Mastering the Art of Cloud Tagging Using Data Science January 17, 2022Cloud tagging, the process of labeling cloud assets by certain attributes or operational values, can unlock behavioral insights to optimize and automate cyber asset management at scale.
- Russia Takes Down REvil Ransomware Operation, Arrests Key Members January 14, 2022Timing of the move has evoked at least some skepticism from security experts about the country's true motives.
- The Cybersecurity Measures CTOs Are Actually Implementing January 14, 2022Companies look to multifactor authentication and identity and access management to block attacks, but hedge their bets with disaster recovery.
- Maryland Dept. of Health Responds to Ransomware Attack January 14, 2022An attack discovered on Dec. 4, 2021 forced the Maryland Department of Health to take some of its systems offline.
- White House Meets With Software Firms and Open Source Orgs on Security January 14, 2022The Log4j vulnerability is only the latest security flaw to have global impact, prompting the Biden administration and software developers to pledge to produce more secure software.
- Win32.MarsStealer Web Panel / Unauthenticated Remote Data Deletion January 16, 2022Posted by malvuln on Jan 16Discovery / credits: Malvuln - malvuln.com (c) 2022 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/8abb41f6e7010d70c90f65fd9a740faa_C.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Win32.MarsStealer Web Panel Vulnerability: Unauthenticated Remote Data Deletion Description: The Mars-Stealer web interface has a "Grab Rules" component area that lets a user specify which type of files to collect from […]
- Win32.MarsStealer Web Panel / Unauthenticated Remote Persistent XSS January 16, 2022Posted by malvuln on Jan 16Discovery / credits: Malvuln - malvuln.com (c) 2022 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/8abb41f6e7010d70c90f65fd9a740faa_B.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Win32.MarsStealer Web Panel Vulnerability: Unauthenticated Remote Persistent XSS Description: The Mars-Stealer web interface has a "Marker Rules" component area. Third-party attackers who can reach the Mars-Stealer server can send HTTP...
- Win32.MarsStealer Web Panel / Unauthenticated Remote Information Disclosure January 16, 2022Posted by malvuln on Jan 16Discovery / credits: Malvuln - malvuln.com (c) 2022 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/8abb41f6e7010d70c90f65fd9a740faa.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Win32.MarsStealer Web Panel Vulnerability: Unauthenticated Remote Information Disclosure Description: The malware web interface stores screen captures named "screenshot.jpg" in the panel directory, ZIP archived. Third-party attackers who...
- Ab Stealer Web Panel / Unauthenticated Remote Persistent XSS January 16, 2022Posted by malvuln on Jan 16Discovery / credits: Malvuln - malvuln.com (c) 2022 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/9e44c10307aa8194753896ecf8102167.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Ab Stealer Web Panel Vulnerability: Unauthenticated Remote Persistent XSS Description: The "Ab Stealer" web Panel By KingDomSc for "AbBuild v.1.0.exe" is used to browse victim information "Get All Victims Passwords, With...
- SEC Consult SA-20220113-0 :: Cleartext Storage of Phone Password in Cisco IP Phones January 14, 2022Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research on Jan 14SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20220113-0 > ======================================================================= title: Cleartext Storage of Phone Password product: Cisco IP Phone Series 78x1, 88x5, 88x1, 7832, 8832, 8821 and 3905 vulnerable version: Firmware
- 🐞 Call for Papers for Hardwear.io USA 2022 is OPEN! January 14, 2022Posted by Andrea Simonca on Jan 14Hello, We are happy to announce that the CFP for Hardwear.io USA 2022 is OPEN! If you have a groundbreaking embedded research or an awesome open-source tool you’d like to showcase before the global hardware security community, this is your chance. Send in your ideas on various hardware subjects, […]
- APPLE-SA-2022-01-12-1 iOS 15.2.1 and iPadOS 15.2.1 January 12, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Jan 12APPLE-SA-2022-01-12-1 iOS 15.2.1 and iPadOS 15.2.1 iOS 15.2.1 and iPadOS 15.2.1 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213043. HomeKit Available for: iPhone 6s and later, iPad Pro (all models), iPad Air 2 and later, iPad 5th generation and later, […]
- Reprise License Manager 14.2 - Reflected Cross-Site Scripting January 12, 2022Posted by Gionathan Reale via Fulldisclosure on Jan 12# Product: RLM 14.2 # Vendor: Reprise Software # CVE ID: CVE-2021-45422 # Vulnerability Title: Reflected Cross-Site Scripting # Severity: Medium # Author(s): Giulia Melotti Garibaldi # Date: 2022-01-11 # ############################################################# Introduction: An issue was discovered in Reprise License Manager 14.2, Reprise License Manager 14.2 is affected […]
- [RT-SA-2021-009] Credential Disclosure in Web Interface of Crestron Device January 12, 2022Posted by RedTeam Pentesting GmbH on Jan 12Advisory: Credential Disclosure in Web Interface of Crestron Device When the administrative web interface of the Crestron HDMI switcher is accessed unauthenticated, user credentials are disclosed which are valid to authenticate to the web interface. Details ======= Product: Crestron HD-MD4X2-4K-E Affected Versions: 220.127.116.119 Fixed Versions: - Vulnerability Type: […]
- Backdoor.Win32.Controlit.10 / Unauthenticated Remote Command Execution January 11, 2022Posted by malvuln on Jan 11Discovery / credits: Malvuln - malvuln.com (c) 2022 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/859aab793a42868343346163bd42f485.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Backdoor.Win32.Controlit.10 Vulnerability: Unauthenticated Remote Command Execution Description: The malware listens on TCP port 3347. Third-party attackers who can reach an infected system can run any OS commands made available by the […]
Tempo di lettura: 5 minUtilizzo del Machine Learning per proteggere i dati Introdotto nel gennaio 2017, Acronis Act… https://t.co/mhqalBxm8D
Gli attacchi informatici sono numerosi e non fanno distinzione tra aziende e singoli individui quando prendono di m… https://t.co/uOucUWZf7W
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes SNYPR è uno strumento di analisi della sicurezza in grado di trasformare i Big… https://t.co/oies7e0nYY
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes Con l’avvento delle piattaforme di big data, le aziende che si occupano di sicu… https://t.co/MSvA0dPgiE