WebRTC vs. proprietary software
When it comes to the topic of video conferencing, the solutions available on the market are divided into two main categories: those that require the installation of a specific proprietary software and those that use the WebRTC standard instead. This type of web service has nothing to envy to proprietary software, such as Skype, but offers the undeniable advantage of being able to use a browser as the only requirement.
WebRTC: what it is and how it works
WebRTC (Web Real Time Communications) is a communication standard with native support for the live streaming of audio and video content from the browser without the need for additional plug-ins or the installation of external components. With this standard, you can turn your browser into a video conferencing endpoint.
By not requiring any installation, it is possible to exploit this communication method even on relatively old machines or with limited computing power. Furthermore, it is usually possible to use it even on company laptops that do not allow workers to install any software.
The communication is managed by the service servers and the audio and video quality optimized in real time. In the security field, communications are all protected and encrypted. The interface is based on HTML5 and therefore the only requirement is a browser that supports it. Only excluded is therefore Internet Explorer, which has been replaced by Microsoft Edge.
The quality of communication in a WebRTC service is delegated to video and audio codecs. This guarantees excellent performance regardless of the audio / video hardware you have. However, this is only part of what WebRTC-based web services can offer.
Cloud Web Conference offered by SOD also provides other useful tools such as the shared whiteboard, group chat, the possibility of creating separate “rooms” for the participants, up to the possibility of using presentations and sharing the screen among the participants.
All this, without the need to install any program on your computer, minimizing the impact on the operating system and hard disk.
Therefore, the advantages for companies include an interesting reduction in the costs of communication services to support their employees or customers. Communication is definitively independent from the device and an infinite frontier of integration with other services is opened, from email clients to advanced collaboration platforms.
If there is a fault to be found in WebRTC systems, it is the dependence on the speed of the available network.
In fact, if it is true that the hardware resources are minimal (the possibility of using a browser), the network resources required can still be limiting. Unfortunately in Italy there are still geographic areas where the connection is particularly slow and this could influence the quality of video calls also through a WebRTC service.
For most users, however, it is a very minimal risk. In addition, it is a problem that is also encountered with the use of proprietary software for video calls.
Uses of WebRTC services
Video conferencing or video calling services have become of fundamental importance in this historical period. The need to communicate remotely has become concrete. Being unable to meet live has magnified this need.
Using services based on the WebRTC communication standard has quickly become the preferred solution. Companies that have adopted this standard to move their meetings over the network have not had to worry about installing any software. Even students and teachers were able to finish the 2019/2020 school cycle without worrying too much about the computers available to them.
WebRTC-based video conferencing services have proven to have few obstacles to communication, facilitating many aspects in the working and educational world.
The absence of an installation brings with it an additional advantage: independence from any operating system or device.
WebRTC services are available wherever it is possible to use a browser, therefore also on mobile devices. In fact, you are further free to communicate with anyone, in any situation and from anywhere. The interface of the Cloud Web Conference service is designed first of all for portable devices, guaranteeing a clear and simple experience in every situation.
WebRTC technology, widely supported by practically every browser in circulation, offers countless advantages to its users and more and more services rely on this standard to offer their videoconferencing solution.
It is to be expected that this will become the standard in a short time, supplanting the proprietary software also in the communication field. It has already happened with data storage and cloud servers, it is only a matter of time.
The advice is therefore to evaluate services such as SOD Cloud Web Conference for your video calls.
- The SOAR benefits: simplifying investigation and response
- Security Code Review: How the service works
- Integration of the automated response: the automations in SOCaaS
- Coordination between CTI and SOC: how to further raise the defenses
- New Cloud Server: redundant internet
- Quality certificate for the SOCaaS of SOD
- Managed Detection and Response: a new preventive approach
- CLUSIT: our collaboration for better services
- Backup as a Service (17)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (22)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (5)
- Log Management (2)
- News (21)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (15)
- Security (169)
- Web Hosting (15)
- Authentication Is Static, Yet Attackers Are Dynamic: Filling the Critical Gap May 20, 2022To succeed against dynamic cybercriminals, organizations must go multiple steps further and build a learning system that evolves over time to keep up with attacker tactics.
- New Open Source Project Brings Consistent Identity Access to Multicloud May 20, 2022Hexa and IDQL allows organizations using cloud platforms such as Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services, and Google Cloud Platform to apply consistent access policy across all applications, regardless of environment.
- More Than 1,000 Cybersecurity Career Pursuers Complete the (ISC)² Entry-Level Cybersecurity Certification Pilot Exam May 19, 2022New professional certification program establishes a pathway into the workforce for students and career changers by demonstrating their foundational knowledge, skills and abilities to employers.
- Deadbolt Ransomware Targeting QNAP NAS Devices May 19, 2022QNAP is urging customers of its NAS products to update QTS and avoid exposing the devices to the Internet.
- Pro-Russian Information Operations Escalate in Ukraine War May 19, 2022In the three months since the war started, Russian operatives and those allied with the nation's interests have unleashed a deluge of disinformation and fake news to try and sow fear and confusion in Ukraine, security vendor says.
- DoJ Won't Charge 'Good Faith' Security Researchers May 19, 2022Revised policy means security analysts won't be charged under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
- Majority of Kubernetes API Servers Exposed to the Public Internet May 19, 2022Shadowserver Foundation researchers find 380,000 open Kubernetes API servers.
- Dig Exits Stealth With $11M for Cloud Data Detection and Response Solution May 19, 2022CrowdStrike and CyberArk invest in Dig's seed round, which was led by Team8, alongside Merlin Ventures and chairs of MongoDB and Exabeam.
- 6 Scary Tactics Used in Mobile App Attacks May 19, 2022Mobile attacks have been going on for many years, but the threat is rapidly evolving as more sophisticated malware families with novel features enter the scene.
- Phishing Attacks for Initial Access Surged 54% in Q1 May 19, 2022For the first time in a year, security incidents involving email compromises surpassed ransomware incidents, a new analysis shows.
- SEC Consult SA-20220518-0 :: Multiple Critical Vulnerabilities in SAP® Application Server, ABAP and ABAP® Platform (Different Software Components) May 18, 2022Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on May 18SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20220518-0 > ======================================================================= title: Multiple Critical Vulnerabilities product: SAP® Application Server ABAP and ABAP® Platform (Different Software Components) vulnerable version: see section "Vulnerable / tested versions" fixed version: see SAP security notes...
- PHPIPAM 1.4.4 - CVE-2021-46426 May 18, 2022Posted by Rodolfo Augusto do Nascimento Tavares via Fulldisclosure on May 18=====[ Tempest Security Intelligence - ADV-03/2022 ]========================== PHPIPAM - Version 1.4.4 Author: Rodolfo Tavares Tempest Security Intelligence - Recife, Pernambuco - Brazil =====[ Table of Contents ]================================================== * Overview * Detailed description * Timeline of disclosure * Thanks & Acknowledgements * References =====[ Vulnerability […]
- LiquidFiles - 3.4.15 - Stored XSS - CVE-2021-30140 May 18, 2022Posted by Rodolfo Augusto do Nascimento Tavares via Fulldisclosure on May 18=====[ Tempest Security Intelligence - ADV-12/2021 ]========================== LiquidFiles - 3.4.15 Author: Rodolfo Tavares Tempest Security Intelligence - Recife, Pernambuco - Brazil =====[ Table of Contents]================================================== * Overview * Detailed description * Timeline of disclosure * Thanks & Acknowledgements * References =====[ Vulnerability...
- Watch multiple LockBit Ransom get DESTROYED Mass PWNAGE at scale! May 18, 2022Posted by malvuln on May 18Watch multiple LockBit Ransom get DESTROYED Mass PWNAGE at scale! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3l8a_HSSU
- github.com/malvuln/RansomDLLs / Catalog of current DLLs affecting vulnerable Ransomware strains. May 18, 2022Posted by malvuln on May 18Reference list for my Ransomware exploitation research. Lists current DLLs I have seen to date that some ransomware search for, which I have used successfully to hijack and intercept vulnerable strains executing arbitrary code pre-encryption. https://github.com/malvuln/RansomDLLs
- APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-2 macOS Monterey 12.4 May 17, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on May 16APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-2 macOS Monterey 12.4 macOS Monterey 12.4 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213257. AMD Available for: macOS Monterey Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges Description: A memory corruption issue was addressed […]
- APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-6 tvOS 15.5 May 17, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on May 16APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-6 tvOS 15.5 tvOS 15.5 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213254. AppleAVD Available for: Apple TV 4K, Apple TV 4K (2nd generation), and Apple TV HD Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel […]
- APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-5 watchOS 8.6 May 17, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on May 16APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-5 watchOS 8.6 watchOS 8.6 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213253. AppleAVD Available for: Apple Watch Series 3 and later Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges Description: A use after free […]
- APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-3 macOS Big Sur 11.6.6 May 17, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on May 16APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-3 macOS Big Sur 11.6.6 macOS Big Sur 11.6.6 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213256. apache Available for: macOS Big Sur Impact: Multiple issues in apache Description: Multiple issues were addressed by updating apache to version 2.4.53. CVE-2021-44224 […]
- APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-1 iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5 May 17, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on May 16APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-1 iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5 iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213258. AppleAVD Available for: iPhone 6s and later, iPad Pro (all models), iPad Air 2 and later, iPad 5th generation and later, […]
Security Awareness, la sicurezza aziendale parte dai dipendenti. L'ingegneria sociale fa spesso leva sull'ignoranza… https://t.co/nGAs70Ofn5
Torna all'inizio Scopri i nostri servizi di Cyber SecurityTroverai sicuramente quello che fa al caso tuo Se vuoi m… https://t.co/Emm5kUfFc4
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Today we see one of the latest additions to our SOCaaS, the Autonomous Threat… https://t.co/QNvHnKbEqq
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The Security Code Review (SCR) service is increasingly used by companies l… https://t.co/rJmYXr1oCj
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Il servizio di Security Code Review (SCR) è sempre più utilizzato dalle aziende… https://t.co/g2ho2C8FYh