WebRTC vs. proprietary software
When it comes to the topic of video conferencing, the solutions available on the market are divided into two main categories: those that require the installation of a specific proprietary software and those that use the WebRTC standard instead. This type of web service has nothing to envy to proprietary software, such as Skype, but offers the undeniable advantage of being able to use a browser as the only requirement.
WebRTC: what it is and how it works
WebRTC (Web Real Time Communications) is a communication standard with native support for the live streaming of audio and video content from the browser without the need for additional plug-ins or the installation of external components. With this standard, you can turn your browser into a video conferencing endpoint.
By not requiring any installation, it is possible to exploit this communication method even on relatively old machines or with limited computing power. Furthermore, it is usually possible to use it even on company laptops that do not allow workers to install any software.
The communication is managed by the service servers and the audio and video quality optimized in real time. In the security field, communications are all protected and encrypted. The interface is based on HTML5 and therefore the only requirement is a browser that supports it. Only excluded is therefore Internet Explorer, which has been replaced by Microsoft Edge.
The quality of communication in a WebRTC service is delegated to video and audio codecs. This guarantees excellent performance regardless of the audio / video hardware you have. However, this is only part of what WebRTC-based web services can offer.
Cloud Web Conference offered by SOD also provides other useful tools such as the shared whiteboard, group chat, the possibility of creating separate “rooms” for the participants, up to the possibility of using presentations and sharing the screen among the participants.
All this, without the need to install any program on your computer, minimizing the impact on the operating system and hard disk.
Therefore, the advantages for companies include an interesting reduction in the costs of communication services to support their employees or customers. Communication is definitively independent from the device and an infinite frontier of integration with other services is opened, from email clients to advanced collaboration platforms.
If there is a fault to be found in WebRTC systems, it is the dependence on the speed of the available network.
In fact, if it is true that the hardware resources are minimal (the possibility of using a browser), the network resources required can still be limiting. Unfortunately in Italy there are still geographic areas where the connection is particularly slow and this could influence the quality of video calls also through a WebRTC service.
For most users, however, it is a very minimal risk. In addition, it is a problem that is also encountered with the use of proprietary software for video calls.
Uses of WebRTC services
Video conferencing or video calling services have become of fundamental importance in this historical period. The need to communicate remotely has become concrete. Being unable to meet live has magnified this need.
Using services based on the WebRTC communication standard has quickly become the preferred solution. Companies that have adopted this standard to move their meetings over the network have not had to worry about installing any software. Even students and teachers were able to finish the 2019/2020 school cycle without worrying too much about the computers available to them.
WebRTC-based video conferencing services have proven to have few obstacles to communication, facilitating many aspects in the working and educational world.
The absence of an installation brings with it an additional advantage: independence from any operating system or device.
WebRTC services are available wherever it is possible to use a browser, therefore also on mobile devices. In fact, you are further free to communicate with anyone, in any situation and from anywhere. The interface of the Cloud Web Conference service is designed first of all for portable devices, guaranteeing a clear and simple experience in every situation.
WebRTC technology, widely supported by practically every browser in circulation, offers countless advantages to its users and more and more services rely on this standard to offer their videoconferencing solution.
It is to be expected that this will become the standard in a short time, supplanting the proprietary software also in the communication field. It has already happened with data storage and cloud servers, it is only a matter of time.
The advice is therefore to evaluate services such as SOD Cloud Web Conference for your video calls.
- What is it for? Hadoop Security Data Lake (SDL)
- Secure Online Desktop achieves ISO 27001: the security certification for managed services
- SOCaaS and Active Defense Deception Webinar – Guide to the next cybersecurity online event
- Auditing IT della sicurezza: guida completa all’analisi proattiva di vulnerabilità e conformità
- CIS Controls and Vulnerability Assessment: practical guide to adopting best practices
- Kerberoasting: a threat to cybersecurity and how to mitigate it with Security Posture analysis
- Protect Your Business: Antivirus vs. SOC Service with EDR and Next Generation Antivirus (NGA)
- CSIRT and SOC: Differences between incident management and security monitoring
- Backup as a Service (17)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (22)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (5)
- Log Management (2)
- News (23)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (14)
- Security (190)
- Web Hosting (15)
- Interpol Arrests Smuggler With New Biometric Screening Database December 1, 2023Interpol has upgraded its biometric background check tech. It'll help catch criminals, but will it protect sensitive, immutable data belonging to the innocent?
- The European Space Agency Explores Cybersecurity for Space Industry December 1, 2023An ESA cybersecurity expert explains how space-based data and services benefit from public investment in space programs.
- The Latest Delinea Secret Server Release Boosts Usability With New Features December 1, 2023
- Flow Security Launches GenAI DLP December 1, 2023
- North Korea APT Slapped With Cyber Sanctions After Satellite Launch December 1, 2023Sanctions on Kimsuky/APT43 focuses the world on disrupting DPRK regime's sprawling cybercrime operations, expert says.
- Critical 'LogoFAIL' Bugs Offer Secure Boot Bypass for Millions of PCs December 1, 2023Hundreds of consumer and enterprise-grade x86 and ARM models from various vendors, including Intel, Acer, and Lenovo, are potentially vulnerable to bootkits and takeover.
- Japan's Space Program at Risk After Microsoft Active Directory Breach December 1, 2023The agency, known as JAXA, has shut down parts of its network as it conducts an investigation to discover the scope and impact of the breach.
- Emirates CISOs Flag Rampant Cybersecurity Gaps December 1, 2023UAE security leaders warn that people, tech, and process gaps are exposing their organizations to cybercrime.
- Saudi Companies Outsource Cybersecurity Amid 'Serious' Incidents December 1, 2023Saudi companies are seeking extra help in droves, because of a lack of tools and personnel.
- The US Needs to Follow Germany's Attack-Detection Mandate December 1, 2023A more proactive approach to fighting cyberattacks for US companies and agencies is shaping up under the CISA's proposal to emphasize real-time attack detection and response.
- SEC Consult SA-20231123 :: Uninstall Key Caching in Fortra Digital Guardian Agent Uninstaller November 27, 2023Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20231123-0 > ======================================================================= title: Uninstall Key Caching product: Fortra Digital Guardian Agent Uninstaller (Data Loss Prevention) vulnerable version: Agent:
- SEC Consult SA-20231122 :: Multiple Vulnerabilities in m-privacy TightGate-Pro November 27, 2023Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20231122-0 > ======================================================================= title: Multiple Vulnerabilities product: m-privacy TightGate-Pro vulnerable version: Rolling Release, servers with the following package versions are vulnerable: tightgatevnc < 4.1.2~1 rsbac-policy-tgpro
- Senec Inverters Home V1, V2, V3 Home & Hybrid Use of Hard-coded Credentials - CVE-2023-39169 November 27, 2023Posted by Phos4Me via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27Sent through the Full Disclosure mailing list https://nmap.org/mailman/listinfo/fulldisclosure Web Archives & RSS: https://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/
- [SYSS-2023-019] SmartNode SN200 - Unauthenticated OS Command Injection November 27, 2023Posted by Maurizio Ruchay via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27Advisory ID: SYSS-2023-019 Product: SmartNode SN200 Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA) & VoIP Gateway Manufacturer: Patton LLC Affected Version(s):
- CVE-2023-46307 November 27, 2023Posted by Kevin on Nov 27running on the remote port specified during setup
- CVE-2023-46307 November 27, 2023Posted by Kevin on Nov 27While conducting a penetration test for a client, they were running an application called etc-browser which is a public GitHub project with a Docker container. While fuzzing the web server spun up with etcd-browser (which can run on any arbitrary port), the application had a Directory Traversal vulnerability that is […]
- Survey on usage of security advisories November 27, 2023Posted by Aurich, Janik on Nov 27Dear list members, we are looking for voluntary participants for our survey, which was developed in the context of a master thesis at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg. The goal of the survey is to determine potential difficulties that may occur when dealing with security advisories. The focus of the […]
- [CVE-2023-46386, CVE-2023-46387, CVE-2023-46388, CVE-2023-46389] Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec products (3) November 27, 2023Posted by Chizuru Toyama on Nov 27[+] CVE : CVE-2023-46386, CVE-2023-46387, CVE-2023-46388, CVE-2023-46389 [+] Title : Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec L-INX Automation Servers [+] Vendor : LOYTEC electronics GmbH [+] Affected Product(s) : LINX-151, Firmware 7.2.4, LINX-212, firmware 6.2.4 [+] Affected Components : L-INX Automation Servers [+] Discovery Date :...
- [CVE-2023-46383, CVE-2023-46384, CVE-2023-46385] Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec products (2) November 27, 2023Posted by Chizuru Toyama on Nov 27[+] CVE : CVE-2023-46383, CVE-2023-46384, CVE-2023-46385 [+] Title : Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec LINX Configurator [+] Vendor : LOYTEC electronics GmbH [+] Affected Product(s) : LINX Configurator 7.4.10 [+] Affected Components : LINX Configurator [+] Discovery Date : 01-Sep-2021 [+] Publication date : 03-Nov-2023 [+]...
- Senec Inverters Home V1, V2, V3 Home & Hybrid Exposure of the Username to an Unauthorized Actor - CVE-2023-39168 November 12, 2023Posted by Phos4Me via Fulldisclosure on Nov 12Sent through the Full Disclosure mailing list https://nmap.org/mailman/listinfo/fulldisclosure Web Archives & RSS: https://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes L'impatto crescente delle minacce informatiche, su sistemi operativi privati op… https://t.co/FimxTS4o9G
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The growing impact of cyber threats, on private or corporate operating systems… https://t.co/y6G6RYA9n1
Tempo di lettura stimato: 6 minuti Today we are talking about the CTI update of our services. Data security is… https://t.co/YAZkn7iFqa
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Il tema della sicurezza delle informazioni è di grande attualità in questo peri… https://t.co/tfve5Kzr09
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The issue of information security is very topical in this historical period ch… https://t.co/TP8gvdRcrF