WebRTC vs. proprietary software
When it comes to the topic of video conferencing, the solutions available on the market are divided into two main categories: those that require the installation of a specific proprietary software and those that use the WebRTC standard instead. This type of web service has nothing to envy to proprietary software, such as Skype, but offers the undeniable advantage of being able to use a browser as the only requirement.
WebRTC: what it is and how it works
WebRTC (Web Real Time Communications) is a communication standard with native support for the live streaming of audio and video content from the browser without the need for additional plug-ins or the installation of external components. With this standard, you can turn your browser into a video conferencing endpoint.
By not requiring any installation, it is possible to exploit this communication method even on relatively old machines or with limited computing power. Furthermore, it is usually possible to use it even on company laptops that do not allow workers to install any software.
The communication is managed by the service servers and the audio and video quality optimized in real time. In the security field, communications are all protected and encrypted. The interface is based on HTML5 and therefore the only requirement is a browser that supports it. Only excluded is therefore Internet Explorer, which has been replaced by Microsoft Edge.
The quality of communication in a WebRTC service is delegated to video and audio codecs. This guarantees excellent performance regardless of the audio / video hardware you have. However, this is only part of what WebRTC-based web services can offer.
Cloud Web Conference offered by SOD also provides other useful tools such as the shared whiteboard, group chat, the possibility of creating separate “rooms” for the participants, up to the possibility of using presentations and sharing the screen among the participants.
All this, without the need to install any program on your computer, minimizing the impact on the operating system and hard disk.
Therefore, the advantages for companies include an interesting reduction in the costs of communication services to support their employees or customers. Communication is definitively independent from the device and an infinite frontier of integration with other services is opened, from email clients to advanced collaboration platforms.
If there is a fault to be found in WebRTC systems, it is the dependence on the speed of the available network.
In fact, if it is true that the hardware resources are minimal (the possibility of using a browser), the network resources required can still be limiting. Unfortunately in Italy there are still geographic areas where the connection is particularly slow and this could influence the quality of video calls also through a WebRTC service.
For most users, however, it is a very minimal risk. In addition, it is a problem that is also encountered with the use of proprietary software for video calls.
Uses of WebRTC services
Video conferencing or video calling services have become of fundamental importance in this historical period. The need to communicate remotely has become concrete. Being unable to meet live has magnified this need.
Using services based on the WebRTC communication standard has quickly become the preferred solution. Companies that have adopted this standard to move their meetings over the network have not had to worry about installing any software. Even students and teachers were able to finish the 2019/2020 school cycle without worrying too much about the computers available to them.
WebRTC-based video conferencing services have proven to have few obstacles to communication, facilitating many aspects in the working and educational world.
The absence of an installation brings with it an additional advantage: independence from any operating system or device.
WebRTC services are available wherever it is possible to use a browser, therefore also on mobile devices. In fact, you are further free to communicate with anyone, in any situation and from anywhere. The interface of the Cloud Web Conference service is designed first of all for portable devices, guaranteeing a clear and simple experience in every situation.
WebRTC technology, widely supported by practically every browser in circulation, offers countless advantages to its users and more and more services rely on this standard to offer their videoconferencing solution.
It is to be expected that this will become the standard in a short time, supplanting the proprietary software also in the communication field. It has already happened with data storage and cloud servers, it is only a matter of time.
The advice is therefore to evaluate services such as SOD Cloud Web Conference for your video calls.
- The SOAR benefits: simplifying investigation and response
- Security Code Review: How the service works
- Integration of the automated response: the automations in SOCaaS
- Coordination between CTI and SOC: how to further raise the defenses
- New Cloud Server: redundant internet
- Quality certificate for the SOCaaS of SOD
- Managed Detection and Response: a new preventive approach
- CLUSIT: our collaboration for better services
- Backup as a Service (17)
- Acronis Cloud Backup (11)
- Veeam Cloud Connect (4)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (22)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (5)
- Log Management (2)
- News (21)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (14)
- Security (170)
- Cyber Threat Intelligence (CTI) (6)
- Ethical Phishing (8)
- Penetration Test (5)
- SOCaaS (55)
- Vulnerabilities (84)
- Web Hosting (15)
- PyPI's 2FA Requirements Don't Go Far Enough, Researchers Say June 2, 2023The Python Package Index will require developers to better secure their accounts as cyberattacks ramp up, but protecting the software supply chain will take more than that.
- 'PostalFurious' SMS Attacks Target UAE Citizens for Data Theft June 2, 2023SMS campaigns targeting members of the public in the United Arab Emirates have been detected.
- 'Picture-in-Picture' Obfuscation Spoofs Delta, Kohl's for Credential Harvesting June 2, 2023A recent campaign tricks victims into visiting credential harvesting sites by hiding malicious URLs behind photos advertising deals from trusted brands.
- Streamers Ditch Netflix for Dark Web After Password Sharing Ban June 2, 2023Disgruntled users are pursuing offers for "full Netflix access" at steeply discounted rates.
- Want Sustainable Security? Find Middle Ground Between Tech & Education June 2, 2023The winning recipe for sustainable security combines strategic user education and tactical automation of well-constructed processes.
- Apple Zero-Days, iMessage Used in 4-Year, Ongoing Spying Effort June 2, 2023Russia's FSB intelligence agency says the zero-click attacks range far beyond Kaspersky, and it has blamed them on the United States' NSA. Those allegations are thus far uncorroborated.
- How CISOs Can Manage the Intersection of Security, Privacy, And Trust June 2, 2023Integrating a subject rights request tool with security and compliance solutions can help identify potential data conflicts more efficiently and with greater accuracy.
- DNB Strengthens its Network Security Posture and Productivity With Ericsson Security Manager Solution June 1, 2023
- Cyversity and United Airlines to Provide Cybersecurity Training Scholarships to Cyversity Members June 1, 2023Program designed to equip women and underrepresented individuals with the necessary skills and knowledge to succeed in cybersecurity.
- Tel Aviv Stock Exchange Selects CardinalOps to Reduce Risk of Breaches Due to Undetected Attacks June 1, 2023Enables financial services firm to operationalize MITRE ATT&CK with Splunk and eliminate detection coverage gaps based on organizational risk and priorities.
- [CVE-2023-29459] FC Red Bull Salzburg App "at.redbullsalzburg.android.AppMode.Default.Splash.SplashActivity" Arbitrary URL Loading June 2, 2023Posted by Julien Ahrens (RCE Security) on Jun 02RCE Security Advisory https://www.rcesecurity.com 1. ADVISORY INFORMATION ======================= Product: FC Red Bull Salzburg App Vendor URL: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=laola.redbull Type: Improper Authorization in Handler for Custom URL Scheme [CWE-939] Date found: 2023-04-06 Date published: 2023-06-01 CVSSv3 Score: 6.1 (CVSS:3.1/AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:R/S:C/C:L/I:L/A:N) CVE: CVE-2023-29459...
- [RT-SA-2022-004] STARFACE: Authentication with Password Hash Possible June 1, 2023Posted by RedTeam Pentesting GmbH on Jun 01Advisory: STARFACE: Authentication with Password Hash Possible RedTeam Pentesting discovered that the web interface of STARFACE as well as its REST API allows authentication using the SHA512 hash of the password instead of the cleartext password. While storing password hashes instead of cleartext passwords in an application's database […]
- CVE-2022-48336 - Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (PRDiagParseAndStoreData @ 0x5cc8) May 30, 2023Posted by Cyber Intel Security on May 301. INFORMATION -------------- [+] CVE : CVE-2022-48336 [+] Title : Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (PRDiagParseAndStoreData @ 0x5cc8) [+] Vendor : Google [+] Device : Nexus 6 [+] Affected component : Widevine [+] Publication date : March 2023 [+] Credits : CyberIntel Team 2. AFFECTED VERSIONS -------------------- 5.0.0 […]
- CVE-2022-48335 - Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (PRDiagVerifyProvisioning @ 0x5f90) May 30, 2023Posted by Cyber Intel Security on May 301. INFORMATION -------------- [+] CVE : CVE-2022-48335 [+] Title : Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (PRDiagVerifyProvisioning @ 0x5f90) [+] Vendor : Google [+] Device : Nexus 6 [+] Affected component : Widevine [+] Publication date : March 2023 [+] Credits : CyberIntel Team 2. AFFECTED VERSIONS -------------------- 5.0.0 […]
- CVE-2022-48334 - Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (drm_verify_keys @ 0x7370) May 30, 2023Posted by Cyber Intel Security on May 301. INFORMATION -------------- [+] CVE : CVE-2022-48334 [+] Title : Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (drm_verify_keys @ 0x7370) [+] Vendor : Google [+] Device : Nexus 6 [+] Affected component : Widevine [+] Publication date : March 2023 [+] Credits : CyberIntel Team 2. AFFECTED VERSIONS -------------------- 5.0.0 […]
- CVE-2022-48333 - Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (drm_verify_keys @ 0x730c) May 30, 2023Posted by Cyber Intel Security on May 301. INFORMATION -------------- [+] CVE : CVE-2022-48333 [+] Title : Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (drm_verify_keys @ 0x730c) [+] Vendor : Google [+] Device : Nexus 6 [+] Affected component : Widevine [+] Publication date : March 2023 [+] Credits : CyberIntel Team 2. AFFECTED VERSIONS -------------------- 5.0.0 […]
- CVE-2022-48332 - Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (drm_save_keys @ 0x6a18) May 30, 2023Posted by Cyber Intel Security on May 301. INFORMATION -------------- [+] CVE : CVE-2022-48332 [+] Title : Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (drm_save_keys @ 0x6a18) [+] Vendor : Google [+] Device : Nexus 6 [+] Affected component : Widevine [+] Publication date : March 2023 [+] Credits : CyberIntel Team 2. AFFECTED VERSIONS -------------------- 5.0.0 […]
- CVE-2022-48331 - Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (drm_save_keys @ 0x69b0) May 30, 2023Posted by Cyber Intel Security on May 301. INFORMATION -------------- [+] CVE : CVE-2022-48331 [+] Title : Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (drm_save_keys @ 0x69b0) [+] Vendor : Google [+] Device : Nexus 6 [+] Affected component : Widevine [+] Publication date : March 2023 [+] Credits : CyberIntel Team 2. AFFECTED VERSIONS -------------------- 5.0.0 […]
- SCHUTZWERK-SA-2022-001: Cross-Site-Scripting in Papaya Medical Viewer May 30, 2023Posted by Lennert Preuth via Fulldisclosure on May 30Title ===== SCHUTZWERK-SA-2022-001: Cross-Site-Scripting in Papaya Medical Viewer Status ====== PUBLISHED Version ======= 1.0 CVE reference ============= CVE-2023-33255 Link ==== https://www.schutzwerk.com/advisories/SCHUTZWERK-SA-2022-001/ Text-only version: https://www.schutzwerk.com/advisories/SCHUTZWERK-SA-2022-001.txt Further SCHUTZWERK advisories: https://www.schutzwerk.com/blog/tags/advisories/ Affected products/vendor...
- [RT-SA-2023-005] Pydio Cells: Server-Side Request Forgery May 30, 2023Posted by RedTeam Pentesting GmbH on May 30For longer running processes, Pydio Cells allows for the creation of jobs, which are run in the background. The job "remote-download" can be used to cause the backend to send a HTTP GET request to a specified URL and save the response to a new file. The response […]
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes L'impatto crescente delle minacce informatiche, su sistemi operativi privati op… https://t.co/FimxTS4o9G
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The growing impact of cyber threats, on private or corporate operating systems… https://t.co/y6G6RYA9n1
Tempo di lettura stimato: 6 minuti Today we are talking about the CTI update of our services. Data security is… https://t.co/YAZkn7iFqa
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Il tema della sicurezza delle informazioni è di grande attualità in questo peri… https://t.co/tfve5Kzr09
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The issue of information security is very topical in this historical period ch… https://t.co/TP8gvdRcrF
Copyright © 2011 Secure Online Desktop s.r.l. All Rights Reserved.