What is Cyber Security? Definition and proposals
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Cyber Security is the practice of defending computers, servers, mobile devices, electronic systems, networks and data from malicious attacks. It is also known as Information Technology Security and Electronic Information Security . The term applies in a wide variety of contexts, from business to mobile computing and can be divided into a few common categories.
We can divide cyber security into several areas of interest which I list briefly below. In almost every situation listed, SOD has a dedicated service.
Cyber Security areas of interest
network security is the practice of protecting a computer network from intruders, whether it is targeted attacks or generic malware .
application security focuses on keeping software and devices free from threats. A hacked application may be providing access to data that it was designed to protect. Robust security begins in the design phase , well before a program or device is deployed. This is why analyzing the code of an app is essential before it is released.
operational security includes processes and decisions in the management and protection of resources and data. The permissions that users have when accessing a network and the procedures that determine how and where data can be stored or shared all fall within this scope.
Disaster recovery and business continuity define how an organization is able to respond to a cyber security incident or any other event that causes data loss . Disaster recovery policies dictate how the organization restores its operations and information to return to the same operational capacity as before the event. business continuity is the plan the organization resorts to as it tries to operate without certain resources.
The human part of cyber security
End User Education addresses the most unpredictable factor in cybersecurity: people . Anyone can accidentally introduce a virus into an otherwise secure system by not following security best practices. For example, teaching users to delete suspicious email attachments and not insert unidentified USB drives is vital to the security of any organization .
In this area, particular importance should be given to scams, phishing and in general social engineering, which relies on the element usually more weak computer system: the operator.
The scope of cyber threats
The global cyber threat continues to evolve at a rapid pace, with a increasing number of data breaches every year . A report from RiskBased Security revealed that 7.9 billion documents were exposed to data breaches in the first nine months of 2019. This figure is more than double (112%) of the number of documents exposed in the same period the previous year.
I medical services , retailers and government agencies have experienced the most breaches , with malicious criminals responsible for most accidents. Some of these industries are more attractive to cybercriminals because they collect financial and medical data, but all companies using networks can be targeted for their customers’ data, corporate espionage, or to attack customers .
What governments do
With the scale of the cyber threat set to continue to grow, the International Data Corporation predicts global spending on cyber security solutions will reach a record $ 133.7 billion by 2022 . Governments around the world have responded to the growing cyber threat with guidance to help organizations implement effective cybersecurity practices.
In the United States, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has created a cyber security framework , to combat the proliferation of malware code and aid early detection. The framework recommends continuous, real-time monitoring of all electronic assets .
The importance of system monitoring is resumed in the “ 10 steps to cybersecurity “, a guide provided by the UK government’s National Cyber Security Center . In Australia, the Australian Cyber Security Center (ACSC) regularly publishes guidance on how organizations can counter the latest cybersecurity threats.
In Italy we have the national framework for cyber security which provides tutorials, guides and European standards on cyber security .
MSSP and cyber security services
A Managed Security Service Provider (MSSP) provides monitoring and management in outsourcing for security devices and systems. In practice it takes care of all cyber security measures for the company requesting the services.
SOD is an MSSP and the services offered include protection and monitoring of various sectors of the corporate IT department.
Our verification services include vulnerability and penetration testing , as well as the analysis of safety procedures . With the SOC as a Service service we provide the potential of a Security Operation Center , relieving the company of installation and management costs. The SOC adopts latest generation technologies such as SIEM Next Gen and UEBA , which introduce analysis by an AI for motoring logs and users .
SOD uses security operations centers to provide 24/7 services designed to reduce the number of operational personnel that a company must manage, while still guaranteeing levels of cyber security excellent.
But defense fronts don’t stop at software and machines, must also include the most unpredictable element: the end user . That’s why our offer for companies also includes people-oriented services, as we will see shortly.
End user protection
End user protection is a crucial aspect of cyber security . After all, it is often the end user who accidentally loads a malware or other form of malware on their device .
As suggested earlier, the security protocols set up by SOD analyze software in real time. Through behavioral analysis systems we can monitor both the behavior of a software and the user . In the case of an attack based on lateral movement , for example, abnormal accesses and requests by a user can be indicators of an attack in progress.
But we don’t stop there, we can test the company against techniques of social engineering , phishing and physical tampering. Thanks to the ethical hacking services and consequent report, we are able to identify the company’s weak points and suggest effective strategies to mitigate the risks. In the case of phishing, we also organize ad hoc training based on the weaknesses highlighted in the report.
Through the physical security service, in addition to the IT vulnerability testing services, we put ourselves in the play the bad guys and try to carry out physical attacks . For example, we try to enter corporate buildings that should be protected, we try to reach network infrastructures and install potentially harmful hardware, etc.
Thanks to a team of ethical hackers and trained and trained operators, we test every aspect of cyber security before a risk becomes a problem .
If you want more information about our services or have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us.
- Prevent shoulder surfing and theft of corporate credentials
- HTTP / 3, everything you need to know about the latest version protocol
- Machine learning and cybersecurity: UEBA applications and security
- Logic Bomb: what they are and how to prevent them
- Pass the hash: how to gain access without password
- Ransomware and NAS: a risk that is not considered
- SIEM monitoring: best practices
- Cyber Threat Hunting: on the hunt for security threats
- Backup as a Service (2)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (20)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (4)
- Log Management (2)
- News (17)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (6)
- Secure Online Desktop (14)
- Security (9)
- Web Hosting (15)
- Clear & Present Danger: Data Hoarding Undermines Better Security April 13, 2021Facebook and Google can identify patterns of attack within their own data, but smaller businesses rarely see enough traffic to successfully identify an attack or warn users.
- Biden Nominates Former NSA Officials for Top Cybersecurity Roles April 12, 2021President Biden has nominated Jen Easterly as the new director of CISA and is expected to nominate Chris Inglis as the first national cyber director.
- Microsoft Warns of Malware Delivery via Google URLs April 12, 2021A new campaign abuses legitimate website contact forms to send URLs that ultimately deliver the IcedID banking Trojan.
- Federal Reserve Chairman Says Cyber-Risk a Top Threat to National Economy April 12, 2021Jerome Powell tells 60 Minutes that cyberattacks have the potential to do major damage to US financial system.
- Microsoft Uses Machine Learning to Predict Attackers' Next Steps April 12, 2021Researchers build a model to attribute attacks to specific groups based on tactics, techniques, and procedures, and then figure out their next move.
- New Malware Downloader Spotted in Targeted Campaigns April 12, 2021Saint Bot is being used to drop stealers on compromised systems but could be used to deliver any malware.
- Omdia Research Spotlight: XDR April 12, 2021Few emerging cybersecurity market segments are garnering more attention than XDR. Here, Omdia highlights its recent research on XDR.
- CISA Launches New Threat Detection Dashboard April 9, 2021Aviary is a new dashboard that works with CISA's Sparrow threat detection tool.
- Unofficial Android App Store APKPure Infected With Malware April 9, 2021The APKPure app store was infected with malware that can download Trojans to other Android devices, researchers report.
- CFP ZeroNights 2021 April 10, 2021Posted by CFP ZeroNights on Apr 09ZeroNights 2021 CFP is OPEN: Offensive and defensive research (15/30/45min). Submit your talk! # About conference Place: Saint-Petersburg, Russia Date: 30 June Timeslots: 15/30/45 min Site: https://zeronights.org # CFP Timeline CFP start: 1 March CFP end: 15 May CFP page: https://01x.cfp.zeronights.ru/zn2021/ # Conditions: A speaker may deliver either a […]
- Backdoor.Win32.Small.n / Unauthenticated Remote Command Execution (SYSTEM) April 8, 2021Posted by malvuln on Apr 08Discovery / credits: Malvuln - malvuln.com (c) 2021 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/fb24c3509180f463c9deaf2ee6705062.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Backdoor.Win32.Small.n Vulnerability: Unauthenticated Remote Command Execution (SYSTEM) Description: The backdoor malware listens on TCP Port 1337, upon successful connection we get handed a remote shell from the infected host with SYSTEM...
- [SYSS-2020-032] Open Redirect in Tableau Server (CVE-2021-1629) April 8, 2021Posted by Vladimir Bostanov on Apr 08Advisory ID: SYSS-2020-032 Product: Tableau Server Manufacturer: Tableau Software, LLC, a Salesforce Company Affected Version(s): 2019.4-2019.4.17, 2020.1-2020.1.13, 2020.2-2020.2.10, 2020.3-2020.3.6, 2020.4-2020.4.2 Tested Version(s): 2020.2.1 (20202.20.0525.1210) 64-bit Windows Vulnerability Type: URL Redirection to Untrusted Site (CWE-601) Risk Level: Medium Solution Status: Fixed Manufacturer Notification: 2020-07-29 Solution Date:...
- Backdoor.Win32.Hupigon.das / Unauthenticated Open Proxy April 8, 2021Posted by malvuln on Apr 08Discovery / credits: Malvuln - malvuln.com (c) 2021 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/7afe56286039faf56d4184c476683340.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Backdoor.Win32.Hupigon.das Vulnerability: Unauthenticated Open Proxy Description: The malware drops an hidden executable named "winserv.com" under Windows dir, which accepts TCP connections on port 8080. Afterwards, it connects to a...
- Trojan.Win32.Hotkeychick.d / Insecure Permissions April 8, 2021Posted by malvuln on Apr 08Discovery / credits: Malvuln - malvuln.com (c) 2021 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/aff493ed1f98ed05c360b462192d2853.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Trojan.Win32.Hotkeychick.d Vulnerability: Insecure Permissions Description: creates an insecure dir named "Sniperscan" under c:\ drive and grants change (C) permissions to the authenticated user group. Standard users can rename the...
- Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Genome.qiw / Insecure Permissions April 8, 2021Posted by malvuln on Apr 08Discovery / credits: Malvuln - malvuln.com (c) 2021 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/5cddc4647fb1c59f5dc7f414ada7fad4.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Genome.qiw Vulnerability: Insecure Permissions Description: Genome.qiw creates an insecure dir named "tmp" under c:\ drive and grants change (C) permissions to the authenticated user group. Standard users can...
- Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Genome.omht / Insecure Permissions April 8, 2021Posted by malvuln on Apr 08Discovery / credits: Malvuln - malvuln.com (c) 2021 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/01055838361f534ab596b56a19c70fef.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Genome.omht Vulnerability: Insecure Permissions Description: Genome.omht creates an insecure dir named "wjmd97" under c:\ drive and grants change (C) permissions to the authenticated user group. Standard users can...
- Trojan.Win32.Hosts2.yqf / Insecure Permissions April 8, 2021Posted by malvuln on Apr 08Discovery / credits: Malvuln - malvuln.com (c) 2021 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/274a6e846c5a4a2b3281198556e5568b.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Trojan.Win32.Hosts2.yqf Vulnerability: Insecure Permissions Description: Hosts2.yqf creates an insecure dir named "mlekaocYUmaae" under c:\ drive and grants change (C) permissions to the authenticated user group. Standard users can...
- usd20210005: Privileged File Write in Check Point Identity Agent < R81.018.0000 April 8, 2021Posted by Responsible Disclosure via Fulldisclosure on Apr 08### Advisory: Privileged File Write Description =========== The Check Point Identity Agent allows low privileged users to write files to protected locations of the file system. Details ======= Advisory ID: usd-2021-0005 Product: Check Point Identity Agent Affected Version: < R81.018.0000 Vulnerability Type: Symlink Vulnerability Security Risk: High […]
- CVE-2021-26709 - Multiple Pre-Auth Stack Buffer Overflow in D-Link DSL-320B-D1 ADSL Modem April 8, 2021Posted by Gabriele Gristina on Apr 08Multiple Pre-Auth Stack Buffer Overflow in D-Link DSL-320B-D1 ADSL Modem ======== < Table of Contents > ========================================= 0. Overview 1. Details 2. Solution 3. Disclosure Timeline 4. Thanks & Acknowledgements 5. References 6. Credits 7. Legal Notices ======== < 0. Overview > =============================================== Release Date: 7 March 2021 Revision: […]
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Is the threat of a large-scale DDoS attack enough to convince organizations to… https://t.co/sqrHurgPdr
ICON_PLACEHOLDEREstimated reading time: 6 minutes Out of nowhere, someone replies to an email conversation dated… https://t.co/kXIx3FPWfm
L'hacking etico e la salvaguardia del patrimonio aziendale https://t.co/SLncmaZ1ci
ICON_PLACEHOLDERTempo di lettura: 5 minutes Le ransomware gang hanno preso di mira le aziende negli ultimi tempi,… https://t.co/3hF62deo6S
ICON_PLACEHOLDEREstimated reading time: 10 minutes Ingegneria sociale è il termine usato per una vasta gamma di a… https://t.co/gj1hMDdfjn