IT Security Auditing: A Complete Guide to Proactive Vulnerability and Compliance Analysis
Estimated reading time: 6 minuti
Performing regular and thorough security checks on your IT infrastructure is essential to identify and mitigate cyber risks and vulnerabilities before they are exploited by attackers. In this article we look at the importance of implementing an ongoing IT security auditing program and how to outsource it to specialist vendors.
What is IT security auditing?
IT auditing consists of analyzing in detail configurations, policies, procedures and security controls implemented on networks, systems, applications, data and business processes.
The aim is to determine:
- Compliance with security standards and best practices.
- Presence of flaws and weak points that can be exploited by attackers.
- Adequacy of tools and policies to guarantee confidentiality, integrity and availability of information.
- Effectiveness of processes to prevent, detect and respond to potential incidents.
Auditing can take various forms:
- Vulnerability assessment – search for technical vulnerabilities.
- Penetration test – controlled simulation of attacks.
- Compliance audit – verification of compliance with regulatory standards.
- Log analysis – monitoring logs and system events.
An effective program ideally combines all of these approaches for a comprehensive view of your cybersecurity posture.
Why is proactive IT auditing important?
Carrying out security checks proactively and continuously brings numerous advantages:
- Risk management – identification of vulnerabilities and remediation before exploitation.
- Improving defenses – validating and optimizing the effectiveness of tools and policies.
- Regulatory compliance – ensure you always comply with mandatory requirements and standards.
- Threat Monitoring – quickly detect anomalous or suspicious activity.
- Response readiness – periodically test analysts’ capabilities and reaction times.
- Awareness – keeping staff aware of the importance of safety.
- Traceability – availability of evidence to present to external auditors.
In summary, proactive auditing allows you to identify and resolve problems before they have a negative impact on the organization.
Approaches for IT security auditing
There are various types of controls that can be implemented within a complete IT auditing program.
Vulnerability assessment involves the periodic execution of security scans on IT infrastructures to identify flaws or misconfigurations that could be exploited by attackers to access systems.
VA tools test:
- Web application vulnerabilities.
- Endpoints that are not updated and do not comply with security policies.
- Vulnerable network services and open ports.
- Server and network device configuration errors.
- Weaknesses in perimeter, WAF, authentication systems, etc.
The penetration test involves the controlled simulation of real attacks to validate the organization’s ability to detect and prevent a compromise of its systems by malicious actors.
They are carried out by expert ethical hackers using the same attack techniques as real cybercriminals. They can be conducted both remotely and by insiders.
Centralized collection and analysis of logs at the network, server, operating system, application, user and endpoint device levels allows you to monitor in detail all suspicious or anomalous activity to identify internal and external threats.
Configuration and policy audits
Configuration audits verify that security policies are correctly implemented for patch management, system and application hardening, privileged accounts and access, password management, data encryption, backup and disaster recovery, acceptable use of IT assets and much more.
Advantages of ongoing auditing
Traditionally, many organizations have performed security audits sporadically, such as on an annual basis. But this approach has significant shortcomings.
Only by carrying out checks frequently and continuously is it possible to:
- Identify new vulnerabilities as they are introduced to systems by changes and updates.
- Monitor changes in risk due to evolving threat landscapes.
- Detect incidents early with real-time views of suspicious activity.
- Validate controls periodically to ensure they remain effective against today’s threats.
- Provide visibility to management with frequent reporting on cybersecurity posture.
- Verificare la conformità in modo proattivo prima di audit esterni.
In essence, only by continuously monitoring the security status is it possible to identify and resolve problems before they have a negative impact.
Outsourcing IT auditing
For many organizations, implementing a comprehensive IT security auditing program internally can be a challenge due to a lack of specialized skills, dedicated instrumentation and cross-tool integration.
An effective solution is to outsource proactive security auditing and monitoring activities to qualified Managed Security Services (MSSP) providers.
The main advantages of this approach include:
Specific Skills – MSSPs have experienced security professionals dedicated to auditing activities.
Advanced tools – Access to expensive technologies for vulnerability assessment, SIEM, threat hunting, sandboxing, network traffic analysis (NTA) and more.
24×7 coverage – Continuous monitoring by analysts in the Security Operation Center.
Independent approach – Impartial assessments conducted by third parties.
Economies of scale – The fixed costs of tools and platforms are amortized over multiple customers.
Compliance – ISO certified services compatible with compliance requirements.
- Periodic safety reporting for management.
Threat intelligence – Access global cyber threat intelligence feeds.
For these reasons, collaboration with a specialized MSSP allows you to implement an advanced security monitoring and auditing program in an economically sustainable way, which is difficult to implement internally.
Key points of an effective auditing service
To ensure a high level of protection, a managed security service for auditing and proactively monitoring cybersecurity posture should have the following characteristics:
- Comprehensive approach – Combination of vulnerability assessment, penetration testing, log analysis and configuration checks for a complete view.
- Continuous execution – Security checks scheduled and repeated frequently, not just annually or sporadically.
- In-depth analysis – Collect and examine all relevant logs to detect threats.
- Threat intelligence – Using global threat feeds to identify emerging risks.
- Professional support – Dedicated security analysts for monitoring, rule tuning and alert analysis 24×7.
- Incident response – Specialized support in the event of an actual breach being detected.
- Reporting – Periodic technical reports and executive reports for management.
- Remediation – Indications for mitigation and containment to prevent negative impacts.
- Integration – Correlation of data with other existing security solutions.
- Compliance – Support for compliance with customer-relevant regulations.
Implementing a structured IT security monitoring and auditing program is essential to identifying and remediating vulnerabilities before they are exploited in malicious attacks.
By outsourcing audit activities to a qualified Managed Security Service Provider, you can obtain specialized skills, advanced technologies and a 24×7 view of the state of your IT infrastructure.
Regular security audits help prevent serious incidents, maintain regulatory compliance and reduce business risk.
Our Netwrix Auditor service helps you minimize the risk of data breaches and ensure regulatory compliance by proactively reducing the exposure of sensitive data and promptly detecting policy violations and suspicious user behavior.
- Casi d’uso di un SOCaaS per le aziende parte 1
- Schemi di business email compromise (BEC)
- Machine learning e cybersecurity: Applicazioni UEBA e sicurezza
- Logic Bomb: cosa sono e come prevenirle
- Proteggere un sito in WordPress: pacchetto sicurezza
- Ransomware e NAS: un rischio che non si considera
- L’importanza della Cyber Threat Intelligence
- A cosa serve? Hadoop Security Data Lake (SDL)
- Backup as a Service (24)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (23)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- Log Management (2)
- Monitoraggio ICT (4)
- Novita' (19)
- ownCloud (7)
- Privacy (8)
- Secure Online Desktop (14)
- Security (200)
- Web Hosting (15)
- Vulnerabilità in prodotti Solarwinds
(AL03/231201/CSIRT-ITA) Dicembre 1, 2023Rilevata vulnerabilità di sicurezza con gravità “alta” nel prodotto SolarWinds Platform. Tale vulnerabilità, qualora sfruttata, potrebbe permettere a un utente malintenzionato remoto l’esecuzione di codice arbitrario sui sistemi interessati.
- Sanate vulnerabilità su GitLab CE/EE
(AL02/231201/CSIRT-ITA) Dicembre 1, 2023Rilasciati aggiornamenti di sicurezza che risolvono diverse vulnerabilità, di cui 2 con gravità “alta”, in GitLab Community Edition (CE) e Enterprise Edition (EE).
- Aggiornamenti di sicurezza Apple
(AL01/231201/CSIRT-ITA) Dicembre 1, 2023Apple ha rilasciato aggiornamenti di sicurezza per sanare 2 vulnerabilità che interessano Safari, iOS, iPadOS e macOS Sonoma.
- Aggiornamenti per NAS Zyxel
(AL02/231130/CSIRT-ITA) Novembre 30, 2023Zyxel rilascia aggiornamenti di sicurezza per sanare molteplici vulnerabilità presenti in alcuni dispositivi NAS.
- Aggiornamenti per Joomla!
(AL01/231130/CSIRT-ITA) Novembre 30, 2023Aggiornamenti di sicurezza risolvono una vulnerabilità, con gravità “alta”, nel noto CMS Joomla!
- Rilevato sfruttamento in rete della CVE-2023-49103 relativa a OwnCloud
(AL02/231129/CSIRT-ITA) Novembre 30, 2023Rilevato lo sfruttamento attivo in rete della vulnerabilità CVE-2023-49103 presente in OwnCloud, noto file server e piattaforma di collaborazione open source.
- Risolte vulnerabilità in Google Chrome
(AL01/231129/CSIRT-ITA) Novembre 29, 2023Google ha rilasciato un aggiornamento per il browser Chrome al fine di correggere 7 vulnerabilità di sicurezza con gravità “alta”.
- Vulnerabilità in prodotti Netgear
(AL03/231128/CSIRT-ITA) Novembre 28, 2023Rilevate 2 vulnerabilità di sicurezza in alcuni prodotti Netgear. Tali vulnerabilità potrebbero permettere l’accesso a informazioni sensibili e la possibilità di elevare i propri privilegi sui dispositivi interessati.
- Vulnerabilità in Apache NiFi
(AL02/231128/CSIRT-ITA) Novembre 28, 2023Risolta una vulnerabilità con gravità “alta” nel prodotto Apache NiFi. Tale vulnerabilità, legata alla componente JoltTransformJSON, potrebbe consentire a un utente remoto autenticato l’esecuzione di codice arbitrario sul sistema interessato tramite una pagina web opportunatamente predisposta.
- Aggiornamenti per prodotti Zyxel
(AL01/231128/CSIRT-ITA) Novembre 28, 2023Zyxel rilascia aggiornamenti di sicurezza per sanare molteplici vulnerabilità presenti nei propri firewall e access point.
- Interpol Arrests Smuggler With New Biometric Screening Database Dicembre 1, 2023Interpol has upgraded its biometric background check tech. It'll help catch criminals, but will it protect sensitive, immutable data belonging to the innocent?
- The European Space Agency Explores Cybersecurity for Space Industry Dicembre 1, 2023An ESA cybersecurity expert explains how space-based data and services benefit from public investment in space programs.
- The Latest Delinea Secret Server Release Boosts Usability With New Features Dicembre 1, 2023
- Flow Security Launches GenAI DLP Dicembre 1, 2023
- North Korea APT Slapped With Cyber Sanctions After Satellite Launch Dicembre 1, 2023Sanctions on Kimsuky/APT43 focuses the world on disrupting DPRK regime's sprawling cybercrime operations, expert says.
- Critical 'LogoFAIL' Bugs Offer Secure Boot Bypass for Millions of PCs Dicembre 1, 2023Hundreds of consumer and enterprise-grade x86 and ARM models from various vendors, including Intel, Acer, and Lenovo, are potentially vulnerable to bootkits and takeover.
- Japan's Space Program at Risk After Microsoft Active Directory Breach Dicembre 1, 2023The agency, known as JAXA, has shut down parts of its network as it conducts an investigation to discover the scope and impact of the breach.
- Emirates CISOs Flag Rampant Cybersecurity Gaps Dicembre 1, 2023UAE security leaders warn that people, tech, and process gaps are exposing their organizations to cybercrime.
- Saudi Companies Outsource Cybersecurity Amid 'Serious' Incidents Dicembre 1, 2023Saudi companies are seeking extra help in droves, because of a lack of tools and personnel.
- The US Needs to Follow Germany's Attack-Detection Mandate Dicembre 1, 2023A more proactive approach to fighting cyberattacks for US companies and agencies is shaping up under the CISA's proposal to emphasize real-time attack detection and response.
- SEC Consult SA-20231123 :: Uninstall Key Caching in Fortra Digital Guardian Agent Uninstaller Novembre 27, 2023Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20231123-0 > ======================================================================= title: Uninstall Key Caching product: Fortra Digital Guardian Agent Uninstaller (Data Loss Prevention) vulnerable version: Agent:
- SEC Consult SA-20231122 :: Multiple Vulnerabilities in m-privacy TightGate-Pro Novembre 27, 2023Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20231122-0 > ======================================================================= title: Multiple Vulnerabilities product: m-privacy TightGate-Pro vulnerable version: Rolling Release, servers with the following package versions are vulnerable: tightgatevnc < 4.1.2~1 rsbac-policy-tgpro
- Senec Inverters Home V1, V2, V3 Home & Hybrid Use of Hard-coded Credentials - CVE-2023-39169 Novembre 27, 2023Posted by Phos4Me via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27Sent through the Full Disclosure mailing list https://nmap.org/mailman/listinfo/fulldisclosure Web Archives & RSS: https://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/
- [SYSS-2023-019] SmartNode SN200 - Unauthenticated OS Command Injection Novembre 27, 2023Posted by Maurizio Ruchay via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27Advisory ID: SYSS-2023-019 Product: SmartNode SN200 Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA) & VoIP Gateway Manufacturer: Patton LLC Affected Version(s):
- CVE-2023-46307 Novembre 27, 2023Posted by Kevin on Nov 27running on the remote port specified during setup
- CVE-2023-46307 Novembre 27, 2023Posted by Kevin on Nov 27While conducting a penetration test for a client, they were running an application called etc-browser which is a public GitHub project with a Docker container. While fuzzing the web server spun up with etcd-browser (which can run on any arbitrary port), the application had a Directory Traversal vulnerability that is […]
- Survey on usage of security advisories Novembre 27, 2023Posted by Aurich, Janik on Nov 27Dear list members, we are looking for voluntary participants for our survey, which was developed in the context of a master thesis at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg. The goal of the survey is to determine potential difficulties that may occur when dealing with security advisories. The focus of the […]
- [CVE-2023-46386, CVE-2023-46387, CVE-2023-46388, CVE-2023-46389] Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec products (3) Novembre 27, 2023Posted by Chizuru Toyama on Nov 27[+] CVE : CVE-2023-46386, CVE-2023-46387, CVE-2023-46388, CVE-2023-46389 [+] Title : Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec L-INX Automation Servers [+] Vendor : LOYTEC electronics GmbH [+] Affected Product(s) : LINX-151, Firmware 7.2.4, LINX-212, firmware 6.2.4 [+] Affected Components : L-INX Automation Servers [+] Discovery Date :...
- [CVE-2023-46383, CVE-2023-46384, CVE-2023-46385] Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec products (2) Novembre 27, 2023Posted by Chizuru Toyama on Nov 27[+] CVE : CVE-2023-46383, CVE-2023-46384, CVE-2023-46385 [+] Title : Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec LINX Configurator [+] Vendor : LOYTEC electronics GmbH [+] Affected Product(s) : LINX Configurator 7.4.10 [+] Affected Components : LINX Configurator [+] Discovery Date : 01-Sep-2021 [+] Publication date : 03-Nov-2023 [+]...
- Senec Inverters Home V1, V2, V3 Home & Hybrid Exposure of the Username to an Unauthorized Actor - CVE-2023-39168 Novembre 12, 2023Posted by Phos4Me via Fulldisclosure on Nov 12Sent through the Full Disclosure mailing list https://nmap.org/mailman/listinfo/fulldisclosure Web Archives & RSS: https://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes L'impatto crescente delle minacce informatiche, su sistemi operativi privati op… https://t.co/FimxTS4o9G
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The growing impact of cyber threats, on private or corporate operating systems… https://t.co/y6G6RYA9n1
Tempo di lettura stimato: 6 minuti Today we are talking about the CTI update of our services. Data security is… https://t.co/YAZkn7iFqa
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Il tema della sicurezza delle informazioni è di grande attualità in questo peri… https://t.co/tfve5Kzr09
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The issue of information security is very topical in this historical period ch… https://t.co/TP8gvdRcrF