Application programming interface: our User API
In the IT development process, sooner or later we come across API services, which stands for Application Programming Interface. To date it is impossible to imagine IT development without. With the API it is possible to connect a service to an application and integrate it efficiently. Before introducing the specific APIs of the Cloud Server service, it is good to know broadly what an API is and why they are so used in computer science.
What is an API and how does it work?
An Application Programming Interface is like an open language, whose rules are shared by a certain service. By teaching the rules of language to an application, it can communicate with the service and access all the functions and data that are available.
Speaking a little more formal: the API is an interface that allows an app to interact with an external service through a set of commands. It is not necessary to know the internal logic of the service, just use a simple command and the service will return the requested data.
I want to propose an analogy that can be useful to understand this tool. When you enter a restaurant and talk to a waiter, you can order the dishes, ask questions on the menu, ask for the bill and so on. This person is like a filter that separates you from all the complications behind the scenes. You won’t have to worry about dishes, ovens, staff or food reserves. The waiter becomes the interface that allows you to take advantage of all the services, without having to worry about how a restaurant works. Here, the waiter can be interpreted as the API of the restaurant.
The specific command, the request (or call) method and the syntax to be used, are information described in the documentation of the service that offers the application programming interfaces.
This powerful tool is now everywhere, so much so that often we do not even realize how many services we use via API. Mainly application programming interfaces are a great way to do one of the following:
Exchange of data
In the restaurant example, asking the waiter a question is like exchanging data. It would be like an answer to a question regarding the data made available.
Hide complex parts and perform operations
In the restaurant example, you don’t need to know how to cook a perfect lasagna, you will just order it. The request requires that the service provide a product, not simply raw data.
For example, in mobile operating systems, widgets, which display useful information on the screen as part of the background, are used through APIs. The OS requires the app that provides the widget, all the information it needs to correctly show this functionality. This is also done via API.
Since it is the OS that manages the authorizations for the use of the various hardware components, it is in charge of requesting the user for authorization to share a component. The SO is therefore responsible for the security and management of the data collected by the sensors of the mobile phone.
To learn more about the API topic, we share an explanation video from the Simply Explained channel.
Secure Online Desktop User API
Secure Online Desktop provides its User API to enable complete control of your account and services from your apps / systems. Through the HTTP REST API made available, it is also possible to resell the services with the white label formula, thus being able to brand the services in complete freedom.
HTTP REST API
This type of API is characterized by communication via HTTP protocol and compliance with architectural principles defined as REpresentational State Transfer. If the HTTP protocol and its communication methods are well known and widely understood, perhaps it is good to mention the REST principles.
In a university analysis published as a thesis by Roy Fielding, the principles for a software architecture that would allow us to see the Web as a distributed computing platform were analyzed. According to this analysis, which hypothesized a generic architecture, the Web was found to have all that is needed to be considered a perfect platform for distributed processing.
A set of API which respects the REST logic hypothesized in 2000 by Roy Fielding, is called RESTful API. Although the terms create confusion, in reality they perfectly reflect the concept that REST is not a technology or a language, but are simply guidelines that can be respected or not.
Our APIs are offered specifically to offer the possibility to our customers to offer our services in white label mode. This means that our services can be offered to the customers of our customers, without them realizing anything.
The practice of white label, in fact, consists precisely in offering products without brands, with the specific aim of encouraging the rebranding of the service. Another interesting advantage derived from the use of APIs.
In addition to the possibility of offering our services to your customers in white label, you can also use the API to implement the services directly in your apps, expanding the available development possibilities.
The APIs are offered with complete documentation of all the request methods offered. A multitude of different API calls are allowed including management of users, domains, DNS, virtual machines and much more.
Summarizing, through SOD’s HTTP REST API it is possible:
1. implement access to virtual machines, hypervisors, network, disks, backups and much more in their applications
2. offer our re-branded services to your customers
- The SOAR benefits: simplifying investigation and response
- Security Code Review: How the service works
- Integration of the automated response: the automations in SOCaaS
- Coordination between CTI and SOC: how to further raise the defenses
- New Cloud Server: redundant internet
- Quality certificate for the SOCaaS of SOD
- Managed Detection and Response: a new preventive approach
- CLUSIT: our collaboration for better services
- Backup as a Service (17)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (22)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (5)
- Log Management (2)
- News (21)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (15)
- Security (169)
- Web Hosting (15)
- Authentication Is Static, Yet Attackers Are Dynamic: Filling the Critical Gap May 20, 2022To succeed against dynamic cybercriminals, organizations must go multiple steps further and build a learning system that evolves over time to keep up with attacker tactics.
- New Open Source Project Brings Consistent Identity Access to Multicloud May 20, 2022Hexa and IDQL allows organizations using cloud platforms such as Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services, and Google Cloud Platform to apply consistent access policy across all applications, regardless of environment.
- More Than 1,000 Cybersecurity Career Pursuers Complete the (ISC)² Entry-Level Cybersecurity Certification Pilot Exam May 19, 2022New professional certification program establishes a pathway into the workforce for students and career changers by demonstrating their foundational knowledge, skills and abilities to employers.
- Deadbolt Ransomware Targeting QNAP NAS Devices May 19, 2022QNAP is urging customers of its NAS products to update QTS and avoid exposing the devices to the Internet.
- Pro-Russian Information Operations Escalate in Ukraine War May 19, 2022In the three months since the war started, Russian operatives and those allied with the nation's interests have unleashed a deluge of disinformation and fake news to try and sow fear and confusion in Ukraine, security vendor says.
- DoJ Won't Charge 'Good Faith' Security Researchers May 19, 2022Revised policy means security analysts won't be charged under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
- Majority of Kubernetes API Servers Exposed to the Public Internet May 19, 2022Shadowserver Foundation researchers find 380,000 open Kubernetes API servers.
- Dig Exits Stealth With $11M for Cloud Data Detection and Response Solution May 19, 2022CrowdStrike and CyberArk invest in Dig's seed round, which was led by Team8, alongside Merlin Ventures and chairs of MongoDB and Exabeam.
- 6 Scary Tactics Used in Mobile App Attacks May 19, 2022Mobile attacks have been going on for many years, but the threat is rapidly evolving as more sophisticated malware families with novel features enter the scene.
- Phishing Attacks for Initial Access Surged 54% in Q1 May 19, 2022For the first time in a year, security incidents involving email compromises surpassed ransomware incidents, a new analysis shows.
- SEC Consult SA-20220518-0 :: Multiple Critical Vulnerabilities in SAP® Application Server, ABAP and ABAP® Platform (Different Software Components) May 18, 2022Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on May 18SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20220518-0 > ======================================================================= title: Multiple Critical Vulnerabilities product: SAP® Application Server ABAP and ABAP® Platform (Different Software Components) vulnerable version: see section "Vulnerable / tested versions" fixed version: see SAP security notes...
- PHPIPAM 1.4.4 - CVE-2021-46426 May 18, 2022Posted by Rodolfo Augusto do Nascimento Tavares via Fulldisclosure on May 18=====[ Tempest Security Intelligence - ADV-03/2022 ]========================== PHPIPAM - Version 1.4.4 Author: Rodolfo Tavares Tempest Security Intelligence - Recife, Pernambuco - Brazil =====[ Table of Contents ]================================================== * Overview * Detailed description * Timeline of disclosure * Thanks & Acknowledgements * References =====[ Vulnerability […]
- LiquidFiles - 3.4.15 - Stored XSS - CVE-2021-30140 May 18, 2022Posted by Rodolfo Augusto do Nascimento Tavares via Fulldisclosure on May 18=====[ Tempest Security Intelligence - ADV-12/2021 ]========================== LiquidFiles - 3.4.15 Author: Rodolfo Tavares Tempest Security Intelligence - Recife, Pernambuco - Brazil =====[ Table of Contents]================================================== * Overview * Detailed description * Timeline of disclosure * Thanks & Acknowledgements * References =====[ Vulnerability...
- Watch multiple LockBit Ransom get DESTROYED Mass PWNAGE at scale! May 18, 2022Posted by malvuln on May 18Watch multiple LockBit Ransom get DESTROYED Mass PWNAGE at scale! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3l8a_HSSU
- github.com/malvuln/RansomDLLs / Catalog of current DLLs affecting vulnerable Ransomware strains. May 18, 2022Posted by malvuln on May 18Reference list for my Ransomware exploitation research. Lists current DLLs I have seen to date that some ransomware search for, which I have used successfully to hijack and intercept vulnerable strains executing arbitrary code pre-encryption. https://github.com/malvuln/RansomDLLs
- APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-2 macOS Monterey 12.4 May 17, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on May 16APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-2 macOS Monterey 12.4 macOS Monterey 12.4 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213257. AMD Available for: macOS Monterey Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges Description: A memory corruption issue was addressed […]
- APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-6 tvOS 15.5 May 17, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on May 16APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-6 tvOS 15.5 tvOS 15.5 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213254. AppleAVD Available for: Apple TV 4K, Apple TV 4K (2nd generation), and Apple TV HD Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel […]
- APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-5 watchOS 8.6 May 17, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on May 16APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-5 watchOS 8.6 watchOS 8.6 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213253. AppleAVD Available for: Apple Watch Series 3 and later Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges Description: A use after free […]
- APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-3 macOS Big Sur 11.6.6 May 17, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on May 16APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-3 macOS Big Sur 11.6.6 macOS Big Sur 11.6.6 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213256. apache Available for: macOS Big Sur Impact: Multiple issues in apache Description: Multiple issues were addressed by updating apache to version 2.4.53. CVE-2021-44224 […]
- APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-1 iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5 May 17, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on May 16APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-1 iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5 iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213258. AppleAVD Available for: iPhone 6s and later, iPad Pro (all models), iPad Air 2 and later, iPad 5th generation and later, […]
Security Awareness, la sicurezza aziendale parte dai dipendenti. L'ingegneria sociale fa spesso leva sull'ignoranza… https://t.co/nGAs70Ofn5
Torna all'inizio Scopri i nostri servizi di Cyber SecurityTroverai sicuramente quello che fa al caso tuo Se vuoi m… https://t.co/Emm5kUfFc4
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Today we see one of the latest additions to our SOCaaS, the Autonomous Threat… https://t.co/QNvHnKbEqq
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The Security Code Review (SCR) service is increasingly used by companies l… https://t.co/rJmYXr1oCj
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Il servizio di Security Code Review (SCR) è sempre più utilizzato dalle aziende… https://t.co/g2ho2C8FYh