How to have your computer network under control
In recent years we have witnessed a rapid evolution of information infrastructures that have become increasingly complex and heterogeneous. The introduction of virtualization, thanks to the economic savings and its simplicity, has encouraged the increase in the number of servers divided then by functions and roles. Technologies like the Cloud have allowed to extend the company boundaries, just think of the hybrid Cloud or the public Cloud where previously physical servers that were physically present in the company have evolved in virtual instances in executions on more Datacenter also geographically distributed on the globe. Last but not least, the IoT (Internet of Things) has contributed to enrich the network of devices on the network and that it is necessary to manage.
The age of check-lists
Not many years ago, the system operators had sufficient check-lists, regularly performed according to work procedures, to monitor the company server pool and thus ensure the correct functioning of all the IT components, with particular attention to the business critical systems. Today this approach, as well as expensive, would be ineffective, mainly because of how the company infrastructure has evolved. The manual controls would become not only numerous but also unmanageable and with an inherently high degree of error. Moreover, in this scenario, it is not possible to guarantee a correct timeliness in the identification of a problem or in the management of a breakdown.
The evolution of the IT model has introduced the need to introduce new ways of controlling the network that are automated or semi-automated, distributed and above all pro-active / reactive. In fact, solutions have been developed capable of managing an increasingly high, heterogeneous and distributed number of network devices. The new monitoring systems are also able to set the frequency of the measurements based on the metrics observed, increasing it for those values in continuous change that it is necessary to observe therefore continuously and decreasing it for the more static ones. For example, disk space occupation in some environments may vary less than the network bandwidth. This precaution allows to optimize the resources of the monitoring avoiding to measure continuously less dynamic variables.
The evolutions of these monitoring systems have also made it possible to collect data centrally with the possibility of comparing different metrics to each other thus obtaining the composed metrics. Not merely measuring a single metric but comparing its value in relation to another (even different systems) has extended the concept of monitoring.
Item and Trigger
In the systems world or systems monitoring applications there are two basic concepts such as Item and Trigger. The first, Item, represent the metrics or the value (numeric, Boolean, textual) measured or to be measured (eg cluster status, CPU usage, disk usage, etc) while the seconds, Triggers, are the thresholds that you want to apply to a certain Item to check its value. For example, you may need to set two Triggers to monitor the volume occupation of a SAN by receiving a first notification if this exceeds 80% of the maximum capacity and a second in the case of 90%. This modular feature (Item and Trigger) allows for example to simply monitor the trend of a given metric (eg data center band) without necessarily applying a triggger to the measurement or allows to apply more thresholds to the same item to monitor the change in value reporting the change with different actions based on the triggers.
Upon the occurrence of a certain condition identified by the triggers, it is possible to perform a specific action such as sending an email, a text message, a VoIP call or running a program. For example, you could monitor a log file (item log file equal to catalina.log) and upon the occurrence of a certain condition (trigger that verifies the presence of a certain pattern) restart the relative application. In addition to being automated, actions can also be manual, leaving the monitoring system operator the possibility to apply them when it is deemed most appropriate.
Solution for monitoring the IT infrastructure
The Secure Online Desktop provides its customers with two monitoring services:
◊ IT monitoring service: This service is a complete solution for monitoring the customer’s IT infrastructure without needing to install additional hardware. The solution involves the use of a Cloud management console and a set of specific software agents that our staff will install.
◊ Managed monitoring service: This service is an add-on to the Cloud Server service that plans to monitor the Cloud servers that the customer buys.
- The SOAR benefits: simplifying investigation and response
- Security Code Review: How the service works
- Integration of the automated response: the automations in SOCaaS
- Coordination between CTI and SOC: how to further raise the defenses
- New Cloud Server: redundant internet
- Quality certificate for the SOCaaS of SOD
- Managed Detection and Response: a new preventive approach
- CLUSIT: our collaboration for better services
- Backup as a Service (17)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (22)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (5)
- Log Management (2)
- News (21)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (15)
- Security (170)
- Web Hosting (15)
- Drupal H5P Module <= 2.0.0 (isValidPackage) Zip Slip Vulnerability December 3, 2022Posted by Egidio Romano on Dec 03------------------------------------------------------------------ Drupal H5P Module
- CyberDanube Security Research 20221124-0 | Authenticated Command Injection Hirschmann BAT-C2 November 29, 2022Posted by Thomas Weber on Nov 29CyberDanube Security Research 20221124-0 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- title| Authenticated Command Injection product| Hirschmann (Belden) BAT-C2 vulnerable version| 126.96.36.199R8 fixed version| 09.13.01.00R04 CVE number| CVE-2022-40282 impact| High ...
- Exploiting an N-day vBulletin PHP Object Injection Vulnerability November 29, 2022Posted by Egidio Romano on Nov 29Hello list, Just wanted to share with you my latest blog post: http://karmainsecurity.com/exploiting-an-nday-vbulletin-php-object-injection Best regards, /EgiX
- Win32.Ransom.Conti / Crypto Logic Flaw November 29, 2022Posted by malvuln on Nov 29Discovery / credits: Malvuln (John Page aka hyp3rlinx) (c) 2022 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/99e55ce93392068c970384ab24a0e13d.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Backup media: infosec.exchange/@malvuln Threat: Win32.Ransom.Conti Vulnerability: Crypto Logic Flaw Description: Conti ransomware FAILS to encrypt non PE files that have a ".exe" in the filename. Creating specially crafted file names...
- Ransomware Deception Tactics Part 1 November 29, 2022Posted by malvuln on Nov 29Did you know? some Ransomware like CONTI and others will FAIL to encrypt non PE files that have a ".exe" in the filename. Test.exe.docx Test.exe.pdf Conti MD5: 9eb9197cd58f4417a27621c4e1b25a71 ATOMSILO MD5: 5559e9f5e1645f8554ea020a29a5a3ee
- Trojan.Win32.DarkNeuron.gen / Named Pipe Null DACL November 29, 2022Posted by malvuln on Nov 29Discovery / credits: Malvuln (John Page aka hyp3rlinx) (c) 2022 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/d891c9374ccb2a4cae2274170e8644d8.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Backup media: infosec.exchange/@malvuln Threat: Trojan.Win32.DarkNeuron.gen Vulnerability: Named Pipe Null DACL Family: DarkNeuron (Turla Group) Type: PE32 MD5: d891c9374ccb2a4cae2274170e8644d8 Vuln ID: MVID-2022-0661 Disclosure: 11/24/2022...
- Backdoor.Win32.Autocrat.b / Weak Hardcoded Credentials November 29, 2022Posted by malvuln on Nov 29Discovery / credits: Malvuln (John Page aka hyp3rlinx) (c) 2022 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/4262a8b52b902aa2e6bf02a156d1b8d4.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Backup media: infosec.exchange/@malvuln Threat: Backdoor.Win32.Autocrat.b Vulnerability: Weak Hardcoded Credentials Description: The malware is packed with PeCompact, listens on TCP port 8536 and requires authentication. However, the password...
- Backdoor.Win32.Serman.a / Unauthenticated Open Proxy November 29, 2022Posted by malvuln on Nov 29Discovery / credits: Malvuln (John Page aka hyp3rlinx) (c) 2022 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/f312e3a436995b86b205a1a37b1bf10f.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Backup media: infosec.exchange/@malvuln Threat: Backdoor.Win32.Serman.a Vulnerability: Unauthenticated Open Proxy Family: Serman Type: PE32 MD5: f312e3a436995b86b205a1a37b1bf10f Vuln ID: MVID-2022-0659 Disclosure: 11/22/2022 Description: The...
- Open-Xchange Security Advisory 2022-11-24 November 29, 2022Posted by Martin Heiland via Fulldisclosure on Nov 29Dear subscribers, we're sharing our latest advisory with you and like to thank everyone who contributed in finding and solving those vulnerabilities. Feel free to join our bug bounty programs for OX AppSuite, Dovecot and PowerDNS at HackerOne and soon at YesWeHack. Yours sincerely, Martin Heiland, Open-Xchange […]
- [CVE-2022-33942] Intel Data Center Manager Console <= 188.8.131.52749 ”UserMgmtHandler" Authentication Logic Error Leading to Authentication Bypass November 29, 2022Posted by Julien Ahrens (RCE Security) on Nov 29RCE Security Advisory https://www.rcesecurity.com 1. ADVISORY INFORMATION ======================= Product: Intel Data Center Manager Vendor URL: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/tools/data-center-manager-console/overview.html Type: Authentication Bypass by Spoofing [CWE-290] Date found: 2022-06-01 Date published: 2022-11-23 CVSSv3 Score: 10.0 (CVSS:3.1/AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:N/S:C/C:H/I:H/A:H) CVE:...
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes L'impatto crescente delle minacce informatiche, su sistemi operativi privati op… https://t.co/FimxTS4o9G
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The growing impact of cyber threats, on private or corporate operating systems… https://t.co/y6G6RYA9n1
Tempo di lettura stimato: 6 minuti Today we are talking about the CTI update of our services. Data security is… https://t.co/YAZkn7iFqa
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Il tema della sicurezza delle informazioni è di grande attualità in questo peri… https://t.co/tfve5Kzr09
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The issue of information security is very topical in this historical period ch… https://t.co/TP8gvdRcrF