How to have your computer network under control
In recent years we have witnessed a rapid evolution of information infrastructures that have become increasingly complex and heterogeneous. The introduction of virtualization, thanks to the economic savings and its simplicity, has encouraged the increase in the number of servers divided then by functions and roles. Technologies like the Cloud have allowed to extend the company boundaries, just think of the hybrid Cloud or the public Cloud where previously physical servers that were physically present in the company have evolved in virtual instances in executions on more Datacenter also geographically distributed on the globe. Last but not least, the IoT (Internet of Things) has contributed to enrich the network of devices on the network and that it is necessary to manage.
The age of check-lists
Not many years ago, the system operators had sufficient check-lists, regularly performed according to work procedures, to monitor the company server pool and thus ensure the correct functioning of all the IT components, with particular attention to the business critical systems. Today this approach, as well as expensive, would be ineffective, mainly because of how the company infrastructure has evolved. The manual controls would become not only numerous but also unmanageable and with an inherently high degree of error. Moreover, in this scenario, it is not possible to guarantee a correct timeliness in the identification of a problem or in the management of a breakdown.
The evolution of the IT model has introduced the need to introduce new ways of controlling the network that are automated or semi-automated, distributed and above all pro-active / reactive. In fact, solutions have been developed capable of managing an increasingly high, heterogeneous and distributed number of network devices. The new monitoring systems are also able to set the frequency of the measurements based on the metrics observed, increasing it for those values in continuous change that it is necessary to observe therefore continuously and decreasing it for the more static ones. For example, disk space occupation in some environments may vary less than the network bandwidth. This precaution allows to optimize the resources of the monitoring avoiding to measure continuously less dynamic variables.
The evolutions of these monitoring systems have also made it possible to collect data centrally with the possibility of comparing different metrics to each other thus obtaining the composed metrics. Not merely measuring a single metric but comparing its value in relation to another (even different systems) has extended the concept of monitoring.
Item and Trigger
In the systems world or systems monitoring applications there are two basic concepts such as Item and Trigger. The first, Item, represent the metrics or the value (numeric, Boolean, textual) measured or to be measured (eg cluster status, CPU usage, disk usage, etc) while the seconds, Triggers, are the thresholds that you want to apply to a certain Item to check its value. For example, you may need to set two Triggers to monitor the volume occupation of a SAN by receiving a first notification if this exceeds 80% of the maximum capacity and a second in the case of 90%. This modular feature (Item and Trigger) allows for example to simply monitor the trend of a given metric (eg data center band) without necessarily applying a triggger to the measurement or allows to apply more thresholds to the same item to monitor the change in value reporting the change with different actions based on the triggers.
Upon the occurrence of a certain condition identified by the triggers, it is possible to perform a specific action such as sending an email, a text message, a VoIP call or running a program. For example, you could monitor a log file (item log file equal to catalina.log) and upon the occurrence of a certain condition (trigger that verifies the presence of a certain pattern) restart the relative application. In addition to being automated, actions can also be manual, leaving the monitoring system operator the possibility to apply them when it is deemed most appropriate.
Solution for monitoring the IT infrastructure
The Secure Online Desktop provides its customers with two monitoring services:
◊ IT monitoring service: This service is a complete solution for monitoring the customer’s IT infrastructure without needing to install additional hardware. The solution involves the use of a Cloud management console and a set of specific software agents that our staff will install.
◊ Managed monitoring service: This service is an add-on to the Cloud Server service that plans to monitor the Cloud servers that the customer buys.
- Zero-Day attack: what they are and how to defend yourself with SOCaaS
- Monitoring system, an overview
- Data Exfiltration: defense against data theft
- Install a Let’s Encrypt certificate on Debian based machine
- WastedLocker: Next generation ransomware
- Protecting a site in WordPress: security package
- Critical ransomware: examples of successful attacks
- Secure Online Desktop Social Initiatives
- Backup as a Service (2)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (20)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (4)
- Log Management (2)
- News (16)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (6)
- Secure Online Desktop (14)
- Security (6)
- Web Hosting (12)
- NSA Appoints Rob Joyce as Cyber Director January 15, 2021Joyce has long worked in US cybersecurity leadership, most recently serving as the NSA's top representative in the UK.
- Successful Malware Incidents Rise as Attackers Shift Tactics January 15, 2021As employees moved to working from home and on mobile devices, attackers followed them and focused on weekend attacks, a security firm says.
- How to Achieve Collaboration Tool Compliance January 15, 2021Organizations must fully understand the regulatory guidance on collaboration security and privacy so they can continue to implement and expand their use of tools such as Zoom and Teams.
- Name That Toon: Before I Go ... January 15, 2021Feeling creative? Submit your caption in the comments, and our panel of experts will reward the winner with a $25 Amazon gift card.
- These Kids Are All Right January 15, 2021Faculty and students at the William E. Doar School for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C. created "Cyberspace," a rap song about online safety as part of the NSA's national STOP. THINK. CONNECT. campaign back in 2012. Wonder how many went into security.
- Shifting Privacy Landscape, Disruptive Technologies Will Test Businesses January 14, 2021A new machine learning tool aims to mine privacy policies on behalf of users.
- 'Chimera' Threat Group Abuses Microsoft & Google Cloud Services January 14, 2021Researchers detail a new threat group targeting cloud services to achieve goals aligning with Chinese interests.
- Businesses Struggle with Cloud Availability as Attackers Take Aim January 14, 2021Researchers find organizations struggle with availability for cloud applications as government officials warn of cloud-focused cyberattacks.
- NSA Recommends Using Only 'Designated' DNS Resolvers January 14, 2021Agency provides guidelines on securely deploying DNS over HTTPS, aka DoH.
- Who Is Responsible for Protecting Physical Security Systems From Cyberattacks? January 14, 2021It's a question that continues to engage debate, as the majority of new physical security devices being installed are now connected to a network. While this offers myriad benefits, it also raises the question: Who is responsible for their cybersecurity?
- SEC Consult SA-20210113-1 :: Multiple vulnerabilities in flatCore CMS January 13, 2021Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab on Jan 13SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20210113-1 > ======================================================================= title: Multiple Vulnerabilities product: flatCore CMS vulnerable version: < 2.0.0 Build 139 fixed version: Release 2.0.0 Build 139 CVE number: CVE-2021-23835, CVE-2021-23836, CVE-2021-23837, CVE-2021-23838 impact: High homepage:...
- SEC Consult SA-20210113-0 :: Multiple vulnerabilities in Pepperl+Fuchs IO-Link Master Series January 13, 2021Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab on Jan 13SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20210113-0 > ======================================================================= title: Multiple vulnerabilities product: Pepperl+Fuchs IO-Link Master Series See "Vulnerable / tested versions" vulnerable version: System 1.36 / Application 1.5.28 fixed version: System 1.52 / Application 1.6.11 CVE number:...
- Backdoor.Win32.Zombam.a / Remote Stack Buffer Overflow January 13, 2021Posted by malvuln on Jan 12Discovery / credits: malvuln - Malvuln.com (c) 2021 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/6c5081e9b65a52963b0b1ae612ef7eb4.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Backdoor.Win32.Zombam.a Vulnerability: Remote Stack Buffer Overflow Description: The malware listens on TCP port 80, sending an HTTP GET request with 300 or more bytes will trigger buffer overflow overwriting EIP. Type: […]
- Backdoor.Win32.Levelone.b / Remote Stack Buffer Overflow January 13, 2021Posted by malvuln on Jan 12Discovery / credits: malvuln - Malvuln.com (c) 2021 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/3f82e6ddc9f5242f5af200d2fbae4ce4.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Backdoor.Win32.Levelone.b Vulnerability: Remote Stack Buffer Overflow Description: The backdoor listens on Port 7777, sending two large consecutive HTTP OPTIONS requests trigger the buffer overflow overwriting EIP. Type: PE32 MD5:...
- Backdoor.Win32.Levelone.a / Remote Stack Buffer Overflow January 13, 2021Posted by malvuln on Jan 12Discovery / credits: malvuln - Malvuln.com (c) 2021 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/6a2d09c4527cf222e4e2571b074fcc0c.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Backdoor.Win32.Levelone.a Vulnerability: Remote Stack Buffer Overflow Description: The malware listens on Port 1500, sending a specially crafted HTTP TRACE request causes a buffer overflow and overwrites EIP with our payload. If […]
- Backdoor.Win32.Ketch.b / Remote Stack Buffer Overflow January 13, 2021Posted by malvuln on Jan 12Discovery / credits: malvuln - Malvuln.com (c) 2021 Original source: https://malvuln.com/advisory/9d7be3799594a82bf7056905f501af03.txt Contact: malvuln13 () gmail com Media: twitter.com/malvuln Threat: Backdoor.Win32.Ketch.b Vulnerability: Remote Stack Buffer Overflow Description: Makes HTTP GET request for a file "script.dat", and writes the server response to temporary file named "watchb.tmp" under c:\Windows dir. At 1032...
- Re: Backdoor.Win32.Xtreme.yvp / Insecure Permissions EoP January 13, 2021Posted by bo0od on Jan 12When you say backdoor, you mean backdoor which microsoft remotely using it or you mean a malware can take advantage of? malvuln:
- Advisory: ES2021-01 - Loopback access control bypass in coturn by using 0.0.0.0, [::1] or [::] as the peer address January 13, 2021Posted by Sandro Gauci on Jan 12# Loopback access control bypass in coturn by using 0.0.0.0, [::1] or [::] as the peer address - Fixed version: 4.5.2 - Enable Security Advisory: https://github.com/EnableSecurity/advisories/tree/master/ES2021-01-coturn-access-control-bypass - Coturn Security Advisory: https://github.com/coturn/coturn/security/advisories/GHSA-6g6j-r9rf-cm7p - Other references: - CVE-2020-26262 -...
- Re: Trovent Security Advisory 2010-01 [updated] / CVE-2020-28208: Rocket.Chat email address enumeration vulnerability January 13, 2021Posted by Stefan Pietsch on Jan 12# Trovent Security Advisory 2010-01 # ##################################### Email address enumeration in reset password ########################################### Overview ######## Advisory ID: TRSA-2010-01 Advisory version: 1.1 Advisory status: Public Advisory URL: https://trovent.io/security-advisory-2010-01 Affected product: Web application Rocket.Chat Affected version:
- Envira Gallery - Lite Edition - Version 18.104.22.168 CVE-2020-35581 CVE-2020-35582 January 13, 2021Posted by Rodolfo Augusto do Nascimento Tavares on Jan 12==== [Tempest Security Intelligence - ADV-12/2020] ============================= Envira Gallery - Lite Edition - Version 22.214.171.124 Author: Rodolfo Tavares Tempest Security Intelligence - Recife, Pernambuco - Brazil ===== [Table of Contents] ================================================ • Overview • Detailed description • Disclosure timeline • Acknowledgements • References ===== [Vulnerability Information]...
Tempo di lettura: 4 minLa pratica dello shadow IT e' l'utilizzo di sistemi informatici, dispositivi, software, appl… https://t.co/9wQPtvqemG
The practice of shadow IT is the use of computer systems, devices, software, applications and services without the… https://t.co/CgzjblglX9
Acronis Active Protection e' una tecnologia anti-ransomware avanzata. Protegge attivamente tutti i dati dei vostri… https://t.co/Hw7Rs2YOQa
Le insider threat sono difficili da individuare perche' provengono, appunto, dall'interno della vostra organizzazio… https://t.co/aborWoeBgK
Se il sito e' lento, stai perdendo clienti. E' molto semplice e non ci sono modi piu' gentili per dire la stessa co… https://t.co/yB18k0UH49