PageSpeed Insight: better speed with Google
If the site is slow, you are losing customers. It’s very simple and there are no kinder ways to say the same thing. The speed of a site is directly proportional to the desire of a user to visit it. To measure your portal you can use a tool made available by Google: PageSpeed Insight. You can access this service from the Plesk control panel offered by SOD, simply by clicking on the icon at the bottom of the site panel.
Today we try to understand how this tool can help us improve the user experience on our site and also the positioning for search engines (SEO). In this regard, I recommend checking the data of a research carried out by Backlinko in which they tested how different on-site and off-site parameters affect positioning, the search is in English but has also been translated into Italian.
Why is speed important?
The speed of your website has a direct impact on SEO and conversion rates. Not taking the time to make improvements can be a costly mistake. Users are much more likely to leave a slow website without even visiting it, and the likelihood of this happening increases by over 100% if a page’s load time goes from 1s to 6s. In particular, the bouncing rate (percentage of users who leave without visiting other pages) is in the following parameters:
– Loading up to 3 seconds: bouncing rate + 32%
– Loading up to 5 seconds: bouncing rate + 90%
– Up to 6 seconds: bouncing rate + 106%
There is a real need for speed, and Google’s free PageSpeed Insights tool is a fantastic resource to help you find and fix problems that could slow down your site.
What is PageSpeed Insight
PageSpeed Insights is a free tool offered by Google to help analyze the performance of a website and receive suggestions on how to improve it. In fact, it’s probably the most popular page speed analysis tool out there, so it’s worth learning how to use.
PageSpeed provides a speed index in cents, the maximum of which is obviously 100/100. Before you rush to figure out how to get that score, you need to know how to use the tool correctly and implement the suggestions it provides. In fact, not only is a score produced, but also the weak points that affect the score, loading times and suggestions for improving it are shown.
Let’s see some useful information to better understand how PageSpeed Insight works.
PageSpeed and loading time
The PageSpeed Insight tool does not measure the loading time of your site. Despite what people think. To understand what that means, let’s see the difference between PageSpeed and page load time.
PageSpeed is the score given by Google with its PageSpeed Insights tool. This tool takes the raw performance metrics and converts them to a score between 1 and 100. While it will offer diagnostic reporting and opportunities as part of the report, they do not directly contribute to the performance score.
This means that PageSpeed Insight alone is not actually a real indicator of a site’s loading time.
So what is loading time compared to PageSpeed? It is the average time it takes a page to be loaded by a user. It is not a calculated score, it is the actual loading time of a page, in seconds or milliseconds, between the beginning and the end of the content loading.
Of course, the loading time alone does not give an idea of what is causing speed problems or how to fix them.
How does the tool work?
Once you have accessed the tool from the hosting control panel, you will find us in front of a lot of information.
The Google PagesSpeed Insights tool provides both lab data and field data for each page. Lab data is collected in a controlled environment when a page is scanned and is a great way to identify performance problems and find solutions to solve them. Field data, on the other hand, is collected from real-world performance data when users load the page. Some of the problems and obvious bottlenecks that make conversion more difficult for real visitors may arise here.
In short: the tool shows a performance score out of a total of 100. However, the performance metric results used to calculate it are not weighted equally. Things like “first contentful paint” (the first time you see something on the screen) have a greater effect.
There are particular data that have different influences on the final score shown in hundredths. To find out what to improve to increase your PageSpeed score, you need to analyze the sections that contain page-specific data.
In practice, the screen displayed in the control panel first of all shows a table showing the loaded resources and their size. Next there are the “Lab Data”, “Load Opportunities” and “Diagnostic” sections.
Each section lists all the tests that have been passed, those that need to be improved and those that show problems. It is all shown with a color-code which helps to immediately pinpoint where the problems are.
Just click on the “Details” button to get more information and check what is wrong.
The tool is offered free of charge and provides important data for webmasters who want to monetize the site and pay attention to conversions. Each item on the list is accompanied by a link that provides further information on that specific topic.
Improving a certain aspect of your site will be much easier, having clues on how to proceed. Especially if you make sales on the site, if you try to convert your visitors, the speed of the pages is a parameter to work on carefully to optimize it as much as possible.
The control panel of the SOD web hosting service natively offers this opportunity to analyze the site, conveniently without having to go to other pages. Try the service before purchasing and personally check the convenience of the hosting control panel.
- The SOAR benefits: simplifying investigation and response
- Security Code Review: How the service works
- Integration of the automated response: the automations in SOCaaS
- Coordination between CTI and SOC: how to further raise the defenses
- New Cloud Server: redundant internet
- Quality certificate for the SOCaaS of SOD
- Managed Detection and Response: a new preventive approach
- CLUSIT: our collaboration for better services
- Backup as a Service (17)
- Acronis Cloud Backup (11)
- Veeam Cloud Connect (4)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (22)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (5)
- Log Management (2)
- News (21)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (14)
- Security (170)
- Cyber Threat Intelligence (CTI) (6)
- Ethical Phishing (8)
- Penetration Test (5)
- SOCaaS (55)
- Vulnerabilities (84)
- Web Hosting (15)
- PyPI's 2FA Requirements Don't Go Far Enough, Researchers Say June 2, 2023The Python Package Index will require developers to better secure their accounts as cyberattacks ramp up, but protecting the software supply chain will take more than that.
- 'PostalFurious' SMS Attacks Target UAE Citizens for Data Theft June 2, 2023SMS campaigns targeting members of the public in the United Arab Emirates have been detected.
- 'Picture-in-Picture' Obfuscation Spoofs Delta, Kohl's for Credential Harvesting June 2, 2023A recent campaign tricks victims into visiting credential harvesting sites by hiding malicious URLs behind photos advertising deals from trusted brands.
- Streamers Ditch Netflix for Dark Web After Password Sharing Ban June 2, 2023Disgruntled users are pursuing offers for "full Netflix access" at steeply discounted rates.
- Want Sustainable Security? Find Middle Ground Between Tech & Education June 2, 2023The winning recipe for sustainable security combines strategic user education and tactical automation of well-constructed processes.
- Apple Zero-Days, iMessage Used in 4-Year, Ongoing Spying Effort June 2, 2023Russia's FSB intelligence agency says the zero-click attacks range far beyond Kaspersky, and it has blamed them on the United States' NSA. Those allegations are thus far uncorroborated.
- How CISOs Can Manage the Intersection of Security, Privacy, And Trust June 2, 2023Integrating a subject rights request tool with security and compliance solutions can help identify potential data conflicts more efficiently and with greater accuracy.
- DNB Strengthens its Network Security Posture and Productivity With Ericsson Security Manager Solution June 1, 2023
- Cyversity and United Airlines to Provide Cybersecurity Training Scholarships to Cyversity Members June 1, 2023Program designed to equip women and underrepresented individuals with the necessary skills and knowledge to succeed in cybersecurity.
- Tel Aviv Stock Exchange Selects CardinalOps to Reduce Risk of Breaches Due to Undetected Attacks June 1, 2023Enables financial services firm to operationalize MITRE ATT&CK with Splunk and eliminate detection coverage gaps based on organizational risk and priorities.
- [CVE-2023-29459] FC Red Bull Salzburg App "at.redbullsalzburg.android.AppMode.Default.Splash.SplashActivity" Arbitrary URL Loading June 2, 2023Posted by Julien Ahrens (RCE Security) on Jun 02RCE Security Advisory https://www.rcesecurity.com 1. ADVISORY INFORMATION ======================= Product: FC Red Bull Salzburg App Vendor URL: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=laola.redbull Type: Improper Authorization in Handler for Custom URL Scheme [CWE-939] Date found: 2023-04-06 Date published: 2023-06-01 CVSSv3 Score: 6.1 (CVSS:3.1/AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:R/S:C/C:L/I:L/A:N) CVE: CVE-2023-29459...
- [RT-SA-2022-004] STARFACE: Authentication with Password Hash Possible June 1, 2023Posted by RedTeam Pentesting GmbH on Jun 01Advisory: STARFACE: Authentication with Password Hash Possible RedTeam Pentesting discovered that the web interface of STARFACE as well as its REST API allows authentication using the SHA512 hash of the password instead of the cleartext password. While storing password hashes instead of cleartext passwords in an application's database […]
- CVE-2022-48336 - Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (PRDiagParseAndStoreData @ 0x5cc8) May 30, 2023Posted by Cyber Intel Security on May 301. INFORMATION -------------- [+] CVE : CVE-2022-48336 [+] Title : Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (PRDiagParseAndStoreData @ 0x5cc8) [+] Vendor : Google [+] Device : Nexus 6 [+] Affected component : Widevine [+] Publication date : March 2023 [+] Credits : CyberIntel Team 2. AFFECTED VERSIONS -------------------- 5.0.0 […]
- CVE-2022-48335 - Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (PRDiagVerifyProvisioning @ 0x5f90) May 30, 2023Posted by Cyber Intel Security on May 301. INFORMATION -------------- [+] CVE : CVE-2022-48335 [+] Title : Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (PRDiagVerifyProvisioning @ 0x5f90) [+] Vendor : Google [+] Device : Nexus 6 [+] Affected component : Widevine [+] Publication date : March 2023 [+] Credits : CyberIntel Team 2. AFFECTED VERSIONS -------------------- 5.0.0 […]
- CVE-2022-48334 - Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (drm_verify_keys @ 0x7370) May 30, 2023Posted by Cyber Intel Security on May 301. INFORMATION -------------- [+] CVE : CVE-2022-48334 [+] Title : Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (drm_verify_keys @ 0x7370) [+] Vendor : Google [+] Device : Nexus 6 [+] Affected component : Widevine [+] Publication date : March 2023 [+] Credits : CyberIntel Team 2. AFFECTED VERSIONS -------------------- 5.0.0 […]
- CVE-2022-48333 - Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (drm_verify_keys @ 0x730c) May 30, 2023Posted by Cyber Intel Security on May 301. INFORMATION -------------- [+] CVE : CVE-2022-48333 [+] Title : Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (drm_verify_keys @ 0x730c) [+] Vendor : Google [+] Device : Nexus 6 [+] Affected component : Widevine [+] Publication date : March 2023 [+] Credits : CyberIntel Team 2. AFFECTED VERSIONS -------------------- 5.0.0 […]
- CVE-2022-48332 - Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (drm_save_keys @ 0x6a18) May 30, 2023Posted by Cyber Intel Security on May 301. INFORMATION -------------- [+] CVE : CVE-2022-48332 [+] Title : Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (drm_save_keys @ 0x6a18) [+] Vendor : Google [+] Device : Nexus 6 [+] Affected component : Widevine [+] Publication date : March 2023 [+] Credits : CyberIntel Team 2. AFFECTED VERSIONS -------------------- 5.0.0 […]
- CVE-2022-48331 - Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (drm_save_keys @ 0x69b0) May 30, 2023Posted by Cyber Intel Security on May 301. INFORMATION -------------- [+] CVE : CVE-2022-48331 [+] Title : Buffer Overflow in Widevine Trustlet (drm_save_keys @ 0x69b0) [+] Vendor : Google [+] Device : Nexus 6 [+] Affected component : Widevine [+] Publication date : March 2023 [+] Credits : CyberIntel Team 2. AFFECTED VERSIONS -------------------- 5.0.0 […]
- SCHUTZWERK-SA-2022-001: Cross-Site-Scripting in Papaya Medical Viewer May 30, 2023Posted by Lennert Preuth via Fulldisclosure on May 30Title ===== SCHUTZWERK-SA-2022-001: Cross-Site-Scripting in Papaya Medical Viewer Status ====== PUBLISHED Version ======= 1.0 CVE reference ============= CVE-2023-33255 Link ==== https://www.schutzwerk.com/advisories/SCHUTZWERK-SA-2022-001/ Text-only version: https://www.schutzwerk.com/advisories/SCHUTZWERK-SA-2022-001.txt Further SCHUTZWERK advisories: https://www.schutzwerk.com/blog/tags/advisories/ Affected products/vendor...
- [RT-SA-2023-005] Pydio Cells: Server-Side Request Forgery May 30, 2023Posted by RedTeam Pentesting GmbH on May 30For longer running processes, Pydio Cells allows for the creation of jobs, which are run in the background. The job "remote-download" can be used to cause the backend to send a HTTP GET request to a specified URL and save the response to a new file. The response […]
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes L'impatto crescente delle minacce informatiche, su sistemi operativi privati op… https://t.co/FimxTS4o9G
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The growing impact of cyber threats, on private or corporate operating systems… https://t.co/y6G6RYA9n1
Tempo di lettura stimato: 6 minuti Today we are talking about the CTI update of our services. Data security is… https://t.co/YAZkn7iFqa
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Il tema della sicurezza delle informazioni è di grande attualità in questo peri… https://t.co/tfve5Kzr09
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The issue of information security is very topical in this historical period ch… https://t.co/TP8gvdRcrF
Copyright © 2011 Secure Online Desktop s.r.l. All Rights Reserved.