The SOAR benefits: simplifying investigation and response
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
The growing impact of cyber threats, on private or corporate operating systems, leads more and more users to use third-party applications to protect work information. Fortunately, the implementation of new technologies improves this condition. Among the most interesting solutions, aimed at protecting corporate systems, is the SOAR technology with its benefits. What are the potential and the advantages that a company can derive from this system?
SOAR: what is it?
Before analyzing the concrete benefits that SOAR technology can guarantee, it is essential to understand what it is and what it means.
With SOAR, acronym for Security Orchestration, Automation and Response , we identify a tool capable of supporting IT security staff. SOAR model technologies allow for a triple approach : vulnerability and risk management, incident response and ultimately the automation of security operations . In their English terminology respectively: Threat and Vulnerability Management, Incident Response and Security Operations Automation .
The functioning of the SOAR-systems
Through the use of artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms, a system with SOAR implementation is capable of correlating three sectors usually distant from each other. Specifically, a SOAR technology combines: SAO, TIP and SIRP . Respectively Security Orchestration and Automation , Threat Intelligence platform and Security Incident Response Platform .
These platforms are designed to store data and information on the behavior of viruses, hacker attacks, malware and other potential cyber threats. Companies using a SOAR system are much safer, as they can benefit from a multipurpose system, which not only aims to cure the threat, but also its potential emergence .
Difference between orchestration and automation
SOAR technology combines both automation and orchestration systems for cybersecurity, but what’s the difference? When using a system based on orchestration activities, you have an approach in which different security tools and systems are connected to optimize processes .
In the case of a system aimed at automation, we refer to the ability to automate the operations of corporate environments. Automation is based on activities, while orchestration is based on processes. By exploiting SOAR technology, it is possible to obtain the orchestration of processes for the execution of automated activities .
The benefits of SOAR
In order to have a more concrete idea of the applications of a SOAR technology and the consequent benefits, it is essential to examine its advantages in detail.
Incorporate automation and orchestration features
Using features related to machine learning and artificial intelligence, a SOAR system significantly increases corporate cybersecurity. The processes and activities examined by the automation and orchestration systems ensure the company is responsive to cyber threats without generating post-attack tickets. An example is the implementation of SIEM and UEBA in the security orchestration.
Usually a traditional system generates an alert, then the IT technicians provide for the manual resolution of the problem. With an automated system, is the software itself that detects, solves, and archives the problem. This benefit should not be underestimated if there are no IT technicians within the company context.
Centralization of threats
A standard computer system hardly has a centralized view of threats. This condition forces the system itself to intervene in a marked way after it has been compromised. Unfortunately, canonical systems have different levels of security, where everyone intervenes in specific alert conditions.
Larger companies divide the detection of threats according to the reference area, be this NOC, IT or DevOPS, this greatly limits the cybersecurity of the system.
Thanks to its automation and orchestration capabilities, SOAR technology combines the entire threat centralization phase, ensuring maximum protection even in different contexts.
One of the most significant benefits of using SOAR technology is time savings. When you suffer a cyber attack, be it minor or major, it requires the intervention of IT technicians. In the time lapse between the alert sent by the company and the resolution of the problem, the work activity must stop.
Thanks to a dedicated software, with SOAR implementation, it is possible to optimize the intervention times and in many cases eliminate them completely.
Getting a playbook in as much detail as possible is essential to understanding the attacks. A SOAR system, in a completely intuitive way, allows you to chain several playbooks to face complex actions.
For example, in the event that there is an alert combined with a specific tracking system, capable of isolating the traffic of a specific suspicious IP address; the SOAR software at that time will analyze the information useful to identify the IP addresses and evaluate if there are compromised accounts.
Optimal integration with the infrastructure
One benefit that has made SOAR technology particularly useful is its integration capability. SOAR software can integrate seamlessly into any corporate infrastructure , collecting information and providing IT security in an automated way, even on non-modern systems.
Minimizing interactions with the company system, for solving IT problems, allows the company to optimize working times. All the time lost for solving the technical problem can be recovered and used for other more useful work activities .
Even less skilled IT operations teams can use hardware and software without fear of threats. One of the most relevant issues in business contexts is the inefficiency of IT technicians to recognize cyber threats.
The presence of phishing in e-mail or the exchange of files between one area and another leads in many cases to cyber attacks. With a SOAR system, you can minimize these issues by helping IT assistants to focus only on their work.
An advantage not to be overlooked is the cost of continuous interventions for the resolution of cyber attacks. IT technicians who have to intervene after an alert produced by the system have a cost, the latter being significant if prolonged over time. SOAR technology from this point of view protects companies that do not want to spend more money on periodic interventions.
Secure Online Desktop: smart and fast solution
The potential of a SOAR system is evident, but it is important to rely on a quality service to obtain the maximum yield. We at SOD have been committed to providing IT security solutions for years .
The SOCaaS service with dedicated SOAR allows you to implement in your company software capable of automating and orchestrating in the way activities and work processes as best as possible.
This condition is particularly useful for companies that need to protect their corporate IT infrastructure. The ease of use and the enormous benefits make SOAR technology indispensable for those who want to reduce the costs of IT interventions and at the same time improve IT security.
If you have any questions about how our services can be useful for your business, do not hesitate to contact us, we will be happy to answer.
- CIS Controls and Vulnerability Assessment: practical guide to adopting best practices
- Kerberoasting: a threat to cybersecurity and how to mitigate it with Security Posture analysis
- Protect Your Business: Antivirus vs. SOC Service with EDR and Next Generation Antivirus (NGA)
- CSIRT and SOC: Differences between incident management and security monitoring
- Security posture analysis: Complete guide to strengthening cybersecurity
- Deception vs EDR: What’s the Best Threat Defense Strategy?
- Deception: Tricking Hackers to Secure Your Network
- Active Defense Deception: cybersecurity that beats hackers with their own weapons
- Backup as a Service (17)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (22)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (5)
- Log Management (2)
- News (21)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (14)
- Security (189)
- Web Hosting (15)
- When It Comes to Email Security, The Cloud You Pick Matters September 25, 2023While cloud-based email offers more security than on-premises, insurance firms say it matters whether you use Microsoft 365 or Google Workspace.
- Xenomorph Android Malware Targets Customers of 30 US Banks September 25, 2023The Trojan had mainly been infecting banks in Europe since it first surfaced more than one year ago.
- MOVEit Flaw Leads to 900 University Data Breaches September 25, 2023National Student Clearinghouse, a nonprofit serving thousands of universities with enrollment services, exposes more than 900 schools within its MOVEit environment.
- UAE-Linked 'Stealth Falcon' APT Mimics Microsoft in Homoglyph Attack September 25, 2023The cyberattackers are using the "Deadglyph" custom spyware, whose full capabilities have not yet been uncovered.
- The Hot Seat: CISO Accountability in a New Era of SEC Regulation September 25, 2023Updated cybersecurity regulations herald a new era of transparency and accountability in the face of escalating industry vulnerabilities.
- Cyber Hygiene: A First Line of Defense Against Evolving Cyberattacks September 25, 2023Back to basics is a good start, but too often security teams don't handle their deployment correctly. Here's how to avoid the common pitfalls.
- Don't Get Burned by CAPTCHAs: A Recipe for Accurate Bot Protection September 25, 2023Traditional CAPTCHAs, such as reCAPTCHA, no longer protect online businesses adequately. Real users hate them. Bots bypass them. It's time to upgrade.
- ASPM Is Good, but It's Not a Cure-All for App Security September 23, 2023What application security posture management does, it does well. But you'll still need to fill in some holes, especially concerning API security.
- Recast Software Acquires Liquit, Consolidating the Endpoint and Application Management Markets September 22, 2023
- ClassLink Provides Cybersecurity Training Course to Help Schools Protect Public Directory Data September 22, 2023
- [tool] WatchGuard Firebox Web Update Unpacker September 25, 2023Posted by retset on Sep 25A small utility for extracting file system images from "sysa-dl" update files. https://github.com/ret5et/Watchguard_WebUI_Unpacker
- APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-6 macOS Ventura 13.6 September 23, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Sep 22APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-6 macOS Ventura 13.6 macOS Ventura 13.6 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/kb/HT213931. Apple maintains a Security Updates page at https://support.apple.com/HT201222 which lists recent software updates with security advisories. Additional CVE entries coming soon. Kernel Available for: macOS […]
- APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-7 macOS Monterey 12.7 September 23, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Sep 22APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-7 macOS Monterey 12.7 macOS Monterey 12.7 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/kb/HT213932. Apple maintains a Security Updates page at https://support.apple.com/HT201222 which lists recent software updates with security advisories. Additional CVE entries coming soon. Kernel Available for: macOS […]
- APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-5 watchOS 9.6.3 September 23, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Sep 22APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-5 watchOS 9.6.3 watchOS 9.6.3 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/kb/HT213929. Apple maintains a Security Updates page at https://support.apple.com/HT201222 which lists recent software updates with security advisories. Kernel Available for: Apple Watch Series 4 and later Impact: A […]
- APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-4 watchOS 10.0.1 September 23, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Sep 22APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-4 watchOS 10.0.1 watchOS 10.0.1 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/kb/HT213928. Apple maintains a Security Updates page at https://support.apple.com/HT201222 which lists recent software updates with security advisories. Kernel Available for: Apple Watch Series 4 and later Impact: A […]
- APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-3 iOS 16.7 and iPadOS 16.7 September 23, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Sep 22APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-3 iOS 16.7 and iPadOS 16.7 iOS 16.7 and iPadOS 16.7 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/kb/HT213927. Apple maintains a Security Updates page at https://support.apple.com/HT201222 which lists recent software updates with security advisories. Additional CVE entries coming soon. […]
- APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-2 iOS 17.0.1 and iPadOS 17.0.1 September 23, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Sep 22APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-2 iOS 17.0.1 and iPadOS 17.0.1 iOS 17.0.1 and iPadOS 17.0.1 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/kb/HT213926. Apple maintains a Security Updates page at https://support.apple.com/HT201222 which lists recent software updates with security advisories. Kernel Available for: iPhone XS […]
- APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-1 Safari 16.6.1 September 23, 2023Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Sep 22APPLE-SA-2023-09-21-1 Safari 16.6.1 Safari 16.6.1 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/kb/HT213930. Apple maintains a Security Updates page at https://support.apple.com/HT201222 which lists recent software updates with security advisories. WebKit Available for: macOS Big Sur and Monterey Impact: Processing web […]
- Advisory X41-2023-001: Two Vulnerabilities in OPNsense September 23, 2023Posted by X41 D-Sec GmbH Advisories via Fulldisclosure on Sep 22Advisory X41-2023-001: Two Vulnerabilities in OPNsense =========================================================== Highest Severity Rating: High Confirmed Affected Versions: 23.1.11_1, 23.7.3, 23.7.4 Confirmed Patched Versions: Commit 484753b2abe3fd0fcdb73d8bf00c3fc3709eb8b7 Vendor: Deciso B.V. / OPNsense Vendor URL: https://opnsense.org Credit: X41 D-Sec GmbH, Yasar Klawohn and JM Status: Public Advisory-URL:...
- SEC Consult SA-20230918-0 :: Authenticated Remote Code Execution and Missing Authentication in Atos Unify OpenScape September 18, 2023Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on Sep 18SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20230918-0 > ======================================================================= title: Authenticated Remote Code Execution and Missing Authentication product: Atos Unify OpenScape Session Border Controller Atos Unify OpenScape Branch Atos Unify OpenScape BCF vulnerable version: OpenScape SBC...
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes L'impatto crescente delle minacce informatiche, su sistemi operativi privati op… https://t.co/FimxTS4o9G
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The growing impact of cyber threats, on private or corporate operating systems… https://t.co/y6G6RYA9n1
Tempo di lettura stimato: 6 minuti Today we are talking about the CTI update of our services. Data security is… https://t.co/YAZkn7iFqa
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Il tema della sicurezza delle informazioni è di grande attualità in questo peri… https://t.co/tfve5Kzr09
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The issue of information security is very topical in this historical period ch… https://t.co/TP8gvdRcrF