What is it for? Hadoop Security Data Lake (SDL)
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
New cybersecurity threats continue to emerge every day and hackers develop new intrusion techniques to access sensitive data and breach IT systems. This is why it is necessary to collaborate with high-level experts who keep track of new developments in the field of IT security. With the birth and continuous evolution of Big Data, the concept of Data Lake and Security Data Lake has also established itself.
For a company, it is expensive to hire a team that deals exclusively with the internal security of a system, which is why many turn to professionals, using a Security Operations Center as a Service (SOCaaS) This service, offered by SOD, also includes an SDL. Let us now try to understand what it is and what their importance and convenience is.
Security Data Lake: what they are
Un Data Lake è un archivio che include grandi quantità di dati, strutturati e non, che non sono stati ancora elaborati per uno scopo specifico. These have a simple architecture to store data. Each item is assigned a unique identifier and then tagged with a set of metadata.
When a business question arises, data scientists can query the Data Lake in order to discover data that could answer the question. Since the Data Lakes are sources that will store sensitive company information, it is necessary to protect them with effective security measures, however the external data ecosystem that feeds the Data Lakes is very dynamic and new problems could regularly arise that undermine its security.
Users authorized to access Data Lakes, for example, could explore and enrich its resources, consequently also increasing the risk of violation. If this were to occur, the consequences could be catastrophic for a company: violation of employee privacy, regulatory information or compromise of business-critical information.
A Security Data Lake, on the other hand, is more focused on security. It offers the possibility of acquiring data from many security tools, analyzing them to extract important information, mapping the fields following a common pattern.
The data contained in an SDL
There are countless different varieties of data, in different formats, JSON, XML, PCAP and more. A Security Data Lake supports all these types of data, ensuring a more accurate and efficient analysis process. Many companies leverage Big Data to develop machine learning-based threat detection systems. An example, for this eventuality, is the UEBA system integrated with the SOCaaS offered by SOD.
A Security Data Lake allows you to easily access data, making it available, also offering the opportunity for real-time analysis.
It is a set of Open Source programs that allows applications to work and manage an enormous amount of data. The goal is to solve problems that involve high amounts of information and computation.
Apache Hadoop includes HDFS, YARN, and MapReduce. When we talk about Hadoop, therefore, we are referring to all those tools capable of interfacing and integrating with this technology. The role of Hadoop is essential because with them it is possible to store and process data at a very low cost compared to other tools. Furthermore, it is possible to do this on a large scale. An ideal solution, therefore, for managing an SDL.
Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS): is one of the main components of Apache Hadoop, it provides access to application data without having to worry about defining schemas in advance.
Yet Another Resource Negotiator (YARN): It is used to manage computing resources in clusters, giving the possibility of using them to program user applications. It is responsible for managing the allocation of resources throughout the Hadoop ecosystem.
MapReduce: is a tool with which processing logic can be transferred, thus helping developers write applications capable of manipulating large amounts of information in a single manageable dataset.
What advantages does Hadoop offer?
It is important to use Hadoop because with it You can leverage clusters of multiple computers to analyze large amounts of information rather than using a single large computer. The advantage, compared to relational databases and data warehouse, lies in Hadoop’s ability to manage big data in a fast and flexible way.
Fault tolerance: Data is replicated across a cluster, so it can be easily recovered in the event of disk or node errors or malfunctions.
Costs: Hadoop is a much cheaper solution than other systems. It provides compute and storage on affordable hardware.
Strong community support: Hadoop is currently a project supported by an active community of developers who introduce updates, improvements and ideas, making it an attractive product for many companies.
In this article we learned the differences between a Data Lake and a Security Data Lake, clarifying the importance of using these tools in order to guarantee the correct integrity of the IT systems present in a company.
Collecting infrastructure data is only the first step for efficient analysis and the resulting security offered by monitoring, essential for a SOCaaS. Ask us how these technologies can help you manage your company’s cyber security.
For doubts and clarifications, we are always ready to answer all your questions.
- What is it for? Hadoop Security Data Lake (SDL)
- Secure Online Desktop achieves ISO 27001: the security certification for managed services
- SOCaaS and Active Defense Deception Webinar – Guide to the next cybersecurity online event
- Auditing IT della sicurezza: guida completa all’analisi proattiva di vulnerabilità e conformità
- CIS Controls and Vulnerability Assessment: practical guide to adopting best practices
- Kerberoasting: a threat to cybersecurity and how to mitigate it with Security Posture analysis
- Protect Your Business: Antivirus vs. SOC Service with EDR and Next Generation Antivirus (NGA)
- CSIRT and SOC: Differences between incident management and security monitoring
- Backup as a Service (17)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (22)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (5)
- Log Management (2)
- News (23)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (14)
- Security (190)
- Web Hosting (15)
- Interpol Arrests Smuggler With New Biometric Screening Database December 1, 2023Interpol has upgraded its biometric background check tech. It'll help catch criminals, but will it protect sensitive, immutable data belonging to the innocent?
- The European Space Agency Explores Cybersecurity for Space Industry December 1, 2023An ESA cybersecurity expert explains how space-based data and services benefit from public investment in space programs.
- The Latest Delinea Secret Server Release Boosts Usability With New Features December 1, 2023
- Flow Security Launches GenAI DLP December 1, 2023
- North Korea APT Slapped With Cyber Sanctions After Satellite Launch December 1, 2023Sanctions on Kimsuky/APT43 focuses the world on disrupting DPRK regime's sprawling cybercrime operations, expert says.
- Critical 'LogoFAIL' Bugs Offer Secure Boot Bypass for Millions of PCs December 1, 2023Hundreds of consumer and enterprise-grade x86 and ARM models from various vendors, including Intel, Acer, and Lenovo, are potentially vulnerable to bootkits and takeover.
- Japan's Space Program at Risk After Microsoft Active Directory Breach December 1, 2023The agency, known as JAXA, has shut down parts of its network as it conducts an investigation to discover the scope and impact of the breach.
- Emirates CISOs Flag Rampant Cybersecurity Gaps December 1, 2023UAE security leaders warn that people, tech, and process gaps are exposing their organizations to cybercrime.
- Saudi Companies Outsource Cybersecurity Amid 'Serious' Incidents December 1, 2023Saudi companies are seeking extra help in droves, because of a lack of tools and personnel.
- The US Needs to Follow Germany's Attack-Detection Mandate December 1, 2023A more proactive approach to fighting cyberattacks for US companies and agencies is shaping up under the CISA's proposal to emphasize real-time attack detection and response.
- SEC Consult SA-20231123 :: Uninstall Key Caching in Fortra Digital Guardian Agent Uninstaller November 27, 2023Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20231123-0 > ======================================================================= title: Uninstall Key Caching product: Fortra Digital Guardian Agent Uninstaller (Data Loss Prevention) vulnerable version: Agent:
- SEC Consult SA-20231122 :: Multiple Vulnerabilities in m-privacy TightGate-Pro November 27, 2023Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20231122-0 > ======================================================================= title: Multiple Vulnerabilities product: m-privacy TightGate-Pro vulnerable version: Rolling Release, servers with the following package versions are vulnerable: tightgatevnc < 4.1.2~1 rsbac-policy-tgpro
- Senec Inverters Home V1, V2, V3 Home & Hybrid Use of Hard-coded Credentials - CVE-2023-39169 November 27, 2023Posted by Phos4Me via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27Sent through the Full Disclosure mailing list https://nmap.org/mailman/listinfo/fulldisclosure Web Archives & RSS: https://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/
- [SYSS-2023-019] SmartNode SN200 - Unauthenticated OS Command Injection November 27, 2023Posted by Maurizio Ruchay via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27Advisory ID: SYSS-2023-019 Product: SmartNode SN200 Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA) & VoIP Gateway Manufacturer: Patton LLC Affected Version(s):
- CVE-2023-46307 November 27, 2023Posted by Kevin on Nov 27running on the remote port specified during setup
- CVE-2023-46307 November 27, 2023Posted by Kevin on Nov 27While conducting a penetration test for a client, they were running an application called etc-browser which is a public GitHub project with a Docker container. While fuzzing the web server spun up with etcd-browser (which can run on any arbitrary port), the application had a Directory Traversal vulnerability that is […]
- Survey on usage of security advisories November 27, 2023Posted by Aurich, Janik on Nov 27Dear list members, we are looking for voluntary participants for our survey, which was developed in the context of a master thesis at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg. The goal of the survey is to determine potential difficulties that may occur when dealing with security advisories. The focus of the […]
- [CVE-2023-46386, CVE-2023-46387, CVE-2023-46388, CVE-2023-46389] Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec products (3) November 27, 2023Posted by Chizuru Toyama on Nov 27[+] CVE : CVE-2023-46386, CVE-2023-46387, CVE-2023-46388, CVE-2023-46389 [+] Title : Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec L-INX Automation Servers [+] Vendor : LOYTEC electronics GmbH [+] Affected Product(s) : LINX-151, Firmware 7.2.4, LINX-212, firmware 6.2.4 [+] Affected Components : L-INX Automation Servers [+] Discovery Date :...
- [CVE-2023-46383, CVE-2023-46384, CVE-2023-46385] Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec products (2) November 27, 2023Posted by Chizuru Toyama on Nov 27[+] CVE : CVE-2023-46383, CVE-2023-46384, CVE-2023-46385 [+] Title : Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec LINX Configurator [+] Vendor : LOYTEC electronics GmbH [+] Affected Product(s) : LINX Configurator 7.4.10 [+] Affected Components : LINX Configurator [+] Discovery Date : 01-Sep-2021 [+] Publication date : 03-Nov-2023 [+]...
- Senec Inverters Home V1, V2, V3 Home & Hybrid Exposure of the Username to an Unauthorized Actor - CVE-2023-39168 November 12, 2023Posted by Phos4Me via Fulldisclosure on Nov 12Sent through the Full Disclosure mailing list https://nmap.org/mailman/listinfo/fulldisclosure Web Archives & RSS: https://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes L'impatto crescente delle minacce informatiche, su sistemi operativi privati op… https://t.co/FimxTS4o9G
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The growing impact of cyber threats, on private or corporate operating systems… https://t.co/y6G6RYA9n1
Tempo di lettura stimato: 6 minuti Today we are talking about the CTI update of our services. Data security is… https://t.co/YAZkn7iFqa
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Il tema della sicurezza delle informazioni è di grande attualità in questo peri… https://t.co/tfve5Kzr09
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The issue of information security is very topical in this historical period ch… https://t.co/TP8gvdRcrF