What is an MSSP and what are its advantages
The IT world continues to evolve and the same goes for industry acronyms. One of these is the term MSSP which, in a sense, is the evolution of MSP. The two abbreviations mean: Managed Service Provider (MSP) and Managed Security Service Provider (MSSP). The latter, in general, could be considered as an organization that provides outsourced security services to other organizations. This definition is very vague and somewhat obvious. So what is an MSSP?
Definition: what is an MSSP?
An MSSP offers Security-as-a-Service, ensuring that organizations, end users and systems have the security, protection and compliance with the necessary compliance requirements. In reality, MSSPs have been around for a while, but have recently gained more attention and focus as the cybersecurity landscape continues to evolve rapidly. End users are more aware of the threats and consequences they face if they are not proactive.
Let’s take a step back, let’s examine what an MSP is, to better distinguish it from an MSSP. In simple terms, a managed service provider (MSP) is an organization commissioned by a customer to perform various IT services. MSPs typically partner with their clients for annual or multi-year periods, receiving recurring income for ongoing services.
An MSP can help a client at any stage of their IT cycle, including:
– the creation of policies and programs
– discover potential solutions
– implementation of solutions
– performance monitoring
MSPs can also manage ongoing IT services, such as updating systems and making configuration changes to suit business needs. These line-of-service elements can include help desk support, network and application management and monitoring, hardware repair, and more. These services are generally outlined and agreed upon in a Service Level Agreement (SLA).
What is it that distinguishes MSSPs from MSPs? The extra “S” in MSSP indicates that these are more security focused than a typical MSP. While MSPs often offer other IT services and something related to security, MSSPs focus solely on security. However, even in this case, they could include a fairly large set of services in addition to security.
For example, the MSSP technology offering may include the implementation, configuration and / or management of the following technologies:
– Intrusion Prevention Systems (IPS)
– Filtering of web content
– Anti-virus, anti-spam, firewall
– Vulnerability scanning
– Patch management
– Data loss prevention
– Information on threats
In addition, MSSP services may include:
– Policy development and risk management
– Search for the solution
– Search and requisition of solutions and tools
– Implementation of the solution
– Configuration management
– Security updates
– Reporting, review and compliance
– Training and education
An MSSP may offer a broad and generalized range of security capabilities and services, or it may specialize in one or a few areas of interest. Another thing that differentiates between MSP and MSSP are the NOCs and SOCs.
MSPs often establish their own network operational network (NOC) from which they monitor and administer customer operations, MSSPs instead establish a security operations center (SOC), which is responsible for protecting the infrastructure (networks, applications, database, server, etc.).
Why choose an MSSP?
Now that we know what an MSSP is, we need to understand why such a service should be chosen.
The reason is to be found in the digitalization of the business, which is the biggest driver of company growth in recent years. As companies become more and more interconnected through technology, the opportunities grow, but with them so do the security threats. In this case, executives and boards of directors are looking to transform their companies into power centers of the digital age and are taking a closer look at their position on security.
But this is where things get real: the solutions are complicated, and building your own cybersecurity department 24/7 takes time, money and people. On the other hand, a single data breach can seriously damage the value of your company and cost you a considerable economic loss.
This is why outsourcing your company’s entire IT security solution to a Managed Security Service Provider (MSSP) is an increasingly common decision. This cybersecurity-as-a-service model is popular with businesses, regardless of size. This is because cyber defense is becoming so complex and takes so long that companies have no choice but to outsource security services to follow best practices.
We at SOD provide exactly this type of security services, through various modalities. In addition to the typical services of an MSP, such as VPS, Super Cloud, etc., we are able to cover every need for corporate security through our SOCaaS which implements various solutions including UEBA, SIEM, Vulnerability Assessment & Penetration Test, Active Protection, Log Management, IT Monitoring Service, Management Services, GDPR and Privacy.
If you are interested in knowing how SOD can help your company in improving applied cybersecurity, you can get in touch with us, we will be happy to answer questions and propose a solution suitable for the situation.
- What is it for? Hadoop Security Data Lake (SDL)
- Secure Online Desktop achieves ISO 27001: the security certification for managed services
- SOCaaS and Active Defense Deception Webinar – Guide to the next cybersecurity online event
- Auditing IT della sicurezza: guida completa all’analisi proattiva di vulnerabilità e conformità
- CIS Controls and Vulnerability Assessment: practical guide to adopting best practices
- Kerberoasting: a threat to cybersecurity and how to mitigate it with Security Posture analysis
- Protect Your Business: Antivirus vs. SOC Service with EDR and Next Generation Antivirus (NGA)
- CSIRT and SOC: Differences between incident management and security monitoring
- Backup as a Service (17)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (22)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (5)
- Log Management (2)
- News (23)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (14)
- Security (190)
- Web Hosting (15)
- Interpol Arrests Smuggler With New Biometric Screening Database December 1, 2023Interpol has upgraded its biometric background check tech. It'll help catch criminals, but will it protect sensitive, immutable data belonging to the innocent?
- The European Space Agency Explores Cybersecurity for Space Industry December 1, 2023An ESA cybersecurity expert explains how space-based data and services benefit from public investment in space programs.
- The Latest Delinea Secret Server Release Boosts Usability With New Features December 1, 2023
- Flow Security Launches GenAI DLP December 1, 2023
- North Korea APT Slapped With Cyber Sanctions After Satellite Launch December 1, 2023Sanctions on Kimsuky/APT43 focuses the world on disrupting DPRK regime's sprawling cybercrime operations, expert says.
- Critical 'LogoFAIL' Bugs Offer Secure Boot Bypass for Millions of PCs December 1, 2023Hundreds of consumer and enterprise-grade x86 and ARM models from various vendors, including Intel, Acer, and Lenovo, are potentially vulnerable to bootkits and takeover.
- Japan's Space Program at Risk After Microsoft Active Directory Breach December 1, 2023The agency, known as JAXA, has shut down parts of its network as it conducts an investigation to discover the scope and impact of the breach.
- Emirates CISOs Flag Rampant Cybersecurity Gaps December 1, 2023UAE security leaders warn that people, tech, and process gaps are exposing their organizations to cybercrime.
- Saudi Companies Outsource Cybersecurity Amid 'Serious' Incidents December 1, 2023Saudi companies are seeking extra help in droves, because of a lack of tools and personnel.
- The US Needs to Follow Germany's Attack-Detection Mandate December 1, 2023A more proactive approach to fighting cyberattacks for US companies and agencies is shaping up under the CISA's proposal to emphasize real-time attack detection and response.
- SEC Consult SA-20231123 :: Uninstall Key Caching in Fortra Digital Guardian Agent Uninstaller November 27, 2023Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20231123-0 > ======================================================================= title: Uninstall Key Caching product: Fortra Digital Guardian Agent Uninstaller (Data Loss Prevention) vulnerable version: Agent:
- SEC Consult SA-20231122 :: Multiple Vulnerabilities in m-privacy TightGate-Pro November 27, 2023Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20231122-0 > ======================================================================= title: Multiple Vulnerabilities product: m-privacy TightGate-Pro vulnerable version: Rolling Release, servers with the following package versions are vulnerable: tightgatevnc < 4.1.2~1 rsbac-policy-tgpro
- Senec Inverters Home V1, V2, V3 Home & Hybrid Use of Hard-coded Credentials - CVE-2023-39169 November 27, 2023Posted by Phos4Me via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27Sent through the Full Disclosure mailing list https://nmap.org/mailman/listinfo/fulldisclosure Web Archives & RSS: https://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/
- [SYSS-2023-019] SmartNode SN200 - Unauthenticated OS Command Injection November 27, 2023Posted by Maurizio Ruchay via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27Advisory ID: SYSS-2023-019 Product: SmartNode SN200 Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA) & VoIP Gateway Manufacturer: Patton LLC Affected Version(s):
- CVE-2023-46307 November 27, 2023Posted by Kevin on Nov 27running on the remote port specified during setup
- CVE-2023-46307 November 27, 2023Posted by Kevin on Nov 27While conducting a penetration test for a client, they were running an application called etc-browser which is a public GitHub project with a Docker container. While fuzzing the web server spun up with etcd-browser (which can run on any arbitrary port), the application had a Directory Traversal vulnerability that is […]
- Survey on usage of security advisories November 27, 2023Posted by Aurich, Janik on Nov 27Dear list members, we are looking for voluntary participants for our survey, which was developed in the context of a master thesis at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg. The goal of the survey is to determine potential difficulties that may occur when dealing with security advisories. The focus of the […]
- [CVE-2023-46386, CVE-2023-46387, CVE-2023-46388, CVE-2023-46389] Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec products (3) November 27, 2023Posted by Chizuru Toyama on Nov 27[+] CVE : CVE-2023-46386, CVE-2023-46387, CVE-2023-46388, CVE-2023-46389 [+] Title : Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec L-INX Automation Servers [+] Vendor : LOYTEC electronics GmbH [+] Affected Product(s) : LINX-151, Firmware 7.2.4, LINX-212, firmware 6.2.4 [+] Affected Components : L-INX Automation Servers [+] Discovery Date :...
- [CVE-2023-46383, CVE-2023-46384, CVE-2023-46385] Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec products (2) November 27, 2023Posted by Chizuru Toyama on Nov 27[+] CVE : CVE-2023-46383, CVE-2023-46384, CVE-2023-46385 [+] Title : Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec LINX Configurator [+] Vendor : LOYTEC electronics GmbH [+] Affected Product(s) : LINX Configurator 7.4.10 [+] Affected Components : LINX Configurator [+] Discovery Date : 01-Sep-2021 [+] Publication date : 03-Nov-2023 [+]...
- Senec Inverters Home V1, V2, V3 Home & Hybrid Exposure of the Username to an Unauthorized Actor - CVE-2023-39168 November 12, 2023Posted by Phos4Me via Fulldisclosure on Nov 12Sent through the Full Disclosure mailing list https://nmap.org/mailman/listinfo/fulldisclosure Web Archives & RSS: https://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes L'impatto crescente delle minacce informatiche, su sistemi operativi privati op… https://t.co/FimxTS4o9G
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The growing impact of cyber threats, on private or corporate operating systems… https://t.co/y6G6RYA9n1
Tempo di lettura stimato: 6 minuti Today we are talking about the CTI update of our services. Data security is… https://t.co/YAZkn7iFqa
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Il tema della sicurezza delle informazioni è di grande attualità in questo peri… https://t.co/tfve5Kzr09
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The issue of information security is very topical in this historical period ch… https://t.co/TP8gvdRcrF