Event Overload? Our SOCaaS can help!
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
The data that a corporate IT infrastructure generates every day has always been a lot, but never as in recent years has there been an event overload (event overload) of such vast proportions. This is due to the increasing number of applications used by companies and employees for routine operations.
Each of the applications used, in fact, generates a certain amount of characteristic “events”. This data is collected and analyzed to identify any problems of any kind as soon as possible. However, when the data to be analyzed becomes too much, an event overload problem arises, i.e. the analysis tools cannot keep up.
However, by adopting a suitable solution, you can also deal with large amounts of data while maintaining the high standard of reactivity and response of the analysis tools. Let’s see how in this article.
Relational databases are now out of the game
In 2018, relational databases were the best you could get when it came to data management. The size of the databases used to extend to a maximum of around 50GB. Security solutions could afford these databases to provide the space that enabled Security Operations Centers (SOCs), which were generally part of a larger data center. This is no longer true.
As organizations have gotten bigger, both data volumes and corporate networks have grown exponentially , making it necessary to move to the public cloud to accommodate the size needed to store and process these information. In addition to enabling scalability, public cloud services are also providing an increasingly broad range of services that are required to use modern technologies such as AI, DevOps, and continuous integration / delivery (CI / CD).
The support of requirements such as identity integrations and connectors between multiple business applications adds to the huge amounts of data that are being transferred. The number of applications a business leverages today can be in the hundreds , if not more, and all generate their own logs and security alerts . It’s easy to see how frequent event overload situations can be.
This brings a cascade of events into the SOC from a variety of sources every day, requiring massive storage as well as fast research, operations and analytics for effective detection and response to cyber threats.
The operational centers (SOC) of today
As we’ve seen, growing volumes of data, regulatory compliance requirements, and security concerns require companies to collect and store more data than ever before. Furthermore, security monitoring is more challenging as the attack surface increases due to various factors. Among these we can identify digital transformation, bring your own device policies. (BYOD), cloud migration and other modern infrastructure trends.
There are many reasons why today’s SOC struggles with legacy solutions that hinder its ability to detect and respond to advanced threats. Here are some of the challenges he faces.
Most medium-sized businesses handle daily events in the millions . Large enterprise SOCs ingest about one billion events per day. This can generate up to several terabytes of data every day. A quantity that certainly cannot be managed by traditional relational databases because they cannot scale to manage these volumes while maintaining the same level of performance and operational speed. Relational databases, such as mySQL or SQL Server, provide limited support for consolidated analyzes that use structured, unstructured, or hybrid data due to architectural limitations. However, this capability is essential for detecting today’s sophisticated threats.
Analysts need the ability to sift through all of these events multiple times a day to search and find threats. Slow search queries are no longer an option in handling an event overload of these proportions.
The characteristics of an adequate solution against event overloads
There are solutions that overcome these obstacles to better arm the SOC and detect advanced threats. We need to implement a solution that has the following characteristics:
– It is a cloud-native, scalable platform that enables faster search with state-of-the-art analytics and efficient space management.
– Scale resources on demand instead of statically.
– Maintains low infrastructure and storage costs by intelligently allocating resources. All to store and process security data.
– Provides secure and privileged access management for users.
– Offers robust data security and granular control over data which are stored in the cloud.
SOD’s solution to event overload
One of the most advantageous solutions is the decentralization of operations centers. By adopting a SOC as a Service , you immediately get the advantage of scalability. But it does not end here, in fact the tools provided in the SOC, such as the Next Generation SIEM , have an edge in terms of data collection and analysis. . Here are some of the main advantages of the service offered:
– More efficient use of resources which helps reduce costs and provide scalability for peak activity and test environments through auto scaling and ‘dynamic orchestration.
– Faster searches with improved analytics and management through direct integration of the AWS platform with improved AWS S3 access capabilities.
– Critical data protection at a lower cost by using activity and data-based cluster segregation to reduce resource use for ad-hoc research and testing.
Benefits for analysts
The corporate security team can now take advantage of real-time threat hunting and faster long-term search. This is benefited by the efficient use of AWS EMR and S3 together for data storage of 12 months or more.
Real-time research and long-term research combine to provide comprehensive threat hunting capability for analysts .
Adopting a truly next-generation and cloud-native SIEM brings the power of the cloud to SOC, enabling better search , better use of resources and far fewer hours spent chasing false positives and managing infrastructure overload.
To find out how this solution can help your business, do not hesitate to contact us, we will be happy to answer any questions.
- The SOAR benefits: simplifying investigation and response
- Security Code Review: How the service works
- Integration of the automated response: the automations in SOCaaS
- Coordination between CTI and SOC: how to further raise the defenses
- New Cloud Server: redundant internet
- Quality certificate for the SOCaaS of SOD
- Managed Detection and Response: a new preventive approach
- CLUSIT: our collaboration for better services
- Backup as a Service (17)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (22)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (5)
- Log Management (2)
- News (21)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (15)
- Security (169)
- Web Hosting (15)
- Authentication Is Static, Yet Attackers Are Dynamic: Filling the Critical Gap May 20, 2022To succeed against dynamic cybercriminals, organizations must go multiple steps further and build a learning system that evolves over time to keep up with attacker tactics.
- New Open Source Project Brings Consistent Identity Access to Multicloud May 20, 2022Hexa and IDQL allows organizations using cloud platforms such as Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services, and Google Cloud Platform to apply consistent access policy across all applications, regardless of environment.
- More Than 1,000 Cybersecurity Career Pursuers Complete the (ISC)² Entry-Level Cybersecurity Certification Pilot Exam May 19, 2022New professional certification program establishes a pathway into the workforce for students and career changers by demonstrating their foundational knowledge, skills and abilities to employers.
- Deadbolt Ransomware Targeting QNAP NAS Devices May 19, 2022QNAP is urging customers of its NAS products to update QTS and avoid exposing the devices to the Internet.
- Pro-Russian Information Operations Escalate in Ukraine War May 19, 2022In the three months since the war started, Russian operatives and those allied with the nation's interests have unleashed a deluge of disinformation and fake news to try and sow fear and confusion in Ukraine, security vendor says.
- DoJ Won't Charge 'Good Faith' Security Researchers May 19, 2022Revised policy means security analysts won't be charged under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
- Majority of Kubernetes API Servers Exposed to the Public Internet May 19, 2022Shadowserver Foundation researchers find 380,000 open Kubernetes API servers.
- Dig Exits Stealth With $11M for Cloud Data Detection and Response Solution May 19, 2022CrowdStrike and CyberArk invest in Dig's seed round, which was led by Team8, alongside Merlin Ventures and chairs of MongoDB and Exabeam.
- 6 Scary Tactics Used in Mobile App Attacks May 19, 2022Mobile attacks have been going on for many years, but the threat is rapidly evolving as more sophisticated malware families with novel features enter the scene.
- Phishing Attacks for Initial Access Surged 54% in Q1 May 19, 2022For the first time in a year, security incidents involving email compromises surpassed ransomware incidents, a new analysis shows.
- SEC Consult SA-20220518-0 :: Multiple Critical Vulnerabilities in SAP® Application Server, ABAP and ABAP® Platform (Different Software Components) May 18, 2022Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on May 18SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20220518-0 > ======================================================================= title: Multiple Critical Vulnerabilities product: SAP® Application Server ABAP and ABAP® Platform (Different Software Components) vulnerable version: see section "Vulnerable / tested versions" fixed version: see SAP security notes...
- PHPIPAM 1.4.4 - CVE-2021-46426 May 18, 2022Posted by Rodolfo Augusto do Nascimento Tavares via Fulldisclosure on May 18=====[ Tempest Security Intelligence - ADV-03/2022 ]========================== PHPIPAM - Version 1.4.4 Author: Rodolfo Tavares Tempest Security Intelligence - Recife, Pernambuco - Brazil =====[ Table of Contents ]================================================== * Overview * Detailed description * Timeline of disclosure * Thanks & Acknowledgements * References =====[ Vulnerability […]
- LiquidFiles - 3.4.15 - Stored XSS - CVE-2021-30140 May 18, 2022Posted by Rodolfo Augusto do Nascimento Tavares via Fulldisclosure on May 18=====[ Tempest Security Intelligence - ADV-12/2021 ]========================== LiquidFiles - 3.4.15 Author: Rodolfo Tavares Tempest Security Intelligence - Recife, Pernambuco - Brazil =====[ Table of Contents]================================================== * Overview * Detailed description * Timeline of disclosure * Thanks & Acknowledgements * References =====[ Vulnerability...
- Watch multiple LockBit Ransom get DESTROYED Mass PWNAGE at scale! May 18, 2022Posted by malvuln on May 18Watch multiple LockBit Ransom get DESTROYED Mass PWNAGE at scale! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3l8a_HSSU
- github.com/malvuln/RansomDLLs / Catalog of current DLLs affecting vulnerable Ransomware strains. May 18, 2022Posted by malvuln on May 18Reference list for my Ransomware exploitation research. Lists current DLLs I have seen to date that some ransomware search for, which I have used successfully to hijack and intercept vulnerable strains executing arbitrary code pre-encryption. https://github.com/malvuln/RansomDLLs
- APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-2 macOS Monterey 12.4 May 17, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on May 16APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-2 macOS Monterey 12.4 macOS Monterey 12.4 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213257. AMD Available for: macOS Monterey Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges Description: A memory corruption issue was addressed […]
- APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-6 tvOS 15.5 May 17, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on May 16APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-6 tvOS 15.5 tvOS 15.5 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213254. AppleAVD Available for: Apple TV 4K, Apple TV 4K (2nd generation), and Apple TV HD Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel […]
- APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-5 watchOS 8.6 May 17, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on May 16APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-5 watchOS 8.6 watchOS 8.6 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213253. AppleAVD Available for: Apple Watch Series 3 and later Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges Description: A use after free […]
- APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-3 macOS Big Sur 11.6.6 May 17, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on May 16APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-3 macOS Big Sur 11.6.6 macOS Big Sur 11.6.6 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213256. apache Available for: macOS Big Sur Impact: Multiple issues in apache Description: Multiple issues were addressed by updating apache to version 2.4.53. CVE-2021-44224 […]
- APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-1 iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5 May 17, 2022Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on May 16APPLE-SA-2022-05-16-1 iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5 iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT213258. AppleAVD Available for: iPhone 6s and later, iPad Pro (all models), iPad Air 2 and later, iPad 5th generation and later, […]
Security Awareness, la sicurezza aziendale parte dai dipendenti. L'ingegneria sociale fa spesso leva sull'ignoranza… https://t.co/nGAs70Ofn5
Torna all'inizio Scopri i nostri servizi di Cyber SecurityTroverai sicuramente quello che fa al caso tuo Se vuoi m… https://t.co/Emm5kUfFc4
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Today we see one of the latest additions to our SOCaaS, the Autonomous Threat… https://t.co/QNvHnKbEqq
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The Security Code Review (SCR) service is increasingly used by companies l… https://t.co/rJmYXr1oCj
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Il servizio di Security Code Review (SCR) è sempre più utilizzato dalle aziende… https://t.co/g2ho2C8FYh