Event Overload? Our SOCaaS can help!
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
The data that a corporate IT infrastructure generates every day has always been a lot, but never as in recent years has there been an event overload (event overload) of such vast proportions. This is due to the increasing number of applications used by companies and employees for routine operations.
Each of the applications used, in fact, generates a certain amount of characteristic “events”. This data is collected and analyzed to identify any problems of any kind as soon as possible. However, when the data to be analyzed becomes too much, an event overload problem arises, i.e. the analysis tools cannot keep up.
However, by adopting a suitable solution, you can also deal with large amounts of data while maintaining the high standard of reactivity and response of the analysis tools. Let’s see how in this article.
Relational databases are now out of the game
In 2018, relational databases were the best you could get when it came to data management. The size of the databases used to extend to a maximum of around 50GB. Security solutions could afford these databases to provide the space that enabled Security Operations Centers (SOCs), which were generally part of a larger data center. This is no longer true.
As organizations have gotten bigger, both data volumes and corporate networks have grown exponentially , making it necessary to move to the public cloud to accommodate the size needed to store and process these information. In addition to enabling scalability, public cloud services are also providing an increasingly broad range of services that are required to use modern technologies such as AI, DevOps, and continuous integration / delivery (CI / CD).
The support of requirements such as identity integrations and connectors between multiple business applications adds to the huge amounts of data that are being transferred. The number of applications a business leverages today can be in the hundreds , if not more, and all generate their own logs and security alerts . It’s easy to see how frequent event overload situations can be.
This brings a cascade of events into the SOC from a variety of sources every day, requiring massive storage as well as fast research, operations and analytics for effective detection and response to cyber threats.
The operational centers (SOC) of today
As we’ve seen, growing volumes of data, regulatory compliance requirements, and security concerns require companies to collect and store more data than ever before. Furthermore, security monitoring is more challenging as the attack surface increases due to various factors. Among these we can identify digital transformation, bring your own device policies. (BYOD), cloud migration and other modern infrastructure trends.
There are many reasons why today’s SOC struggles with legacy solutions that hinder its ability to detect and respond to advanced threats. Here are some of the challenges he faces.
Most medium-sized businesses handle daily events in the millions . Large enterprise SOCs ingest about one billion events per day. This can generate up to several terabytes of data every day. A quantity that certainly cannot be managed by traditional relational databases because they cannot scale to manage these volumes while maintaining the same level of performance and operational speed. Relational databases, such as mySQL or SQL Server, provide limited support for consolidated analyzes that use structured, unstructured, or hybrid data due to architectural limitations. However, this capability is essential for detecting today’s sophisticated threats.
Analysts need the ability to sift through all of these events multiple times a day to search and find threats. Slow search queries are no longer an option in handling an event overload of these proportions.
The characteristics of an adequate solution against event overloads
There are solutions that overcome these obstacles to better arm the SOC and detect advanced threats. We need to implement a solution that has the following characteristics:
– It is a cloud-native, scalable platform that enables faster search with state-of-the-art analytics and efficient space management.
– Scale resources on demand instead of statically.
– Maintains low infrastructure and storage costs by intelligently allocating resources. All to store and process security data.
– Provides secure and privileged access management for users.
– Offers robust data security and granular control over data which are stored in the cloud.
SOD’s solution to event overload
One of the most advantageous solutions is the decentralization of operations centers. By adopting a SOC as a Service , you immediately get the advantage of scalability. But it does not end here, in fact the tools provided in the SOC, such as the Next Generation SIEM , have an edge in terms of data collection and analysis. . Here are some of the main advantages of the service offered:
– More efficient use of resources which helps reduce costs and provide scalability for peak activity and test environments through auto scaling and ‘dynamic orchestration.
– Faster searches with improved analytics and management through direct integration of the AWS platform with improved AWS S3 access capabilities.
– Critical data protection at a lower cost by using activity and data-based cluster segregation to reduce resource use for ad-hoc research and testing.
Benefits for analysts
The corporate security team can now take advantage of real-time threat hunting and faster long-term search. This is benefited by the efficient use of AWS EMR and S3 together for data storage of 12 months or more.
Real-time research and long-term research combine to provide comprehensive threat hunting capability for analysts .
Adopting a truly next-generation and cloud-native SIEM brings the power of the cloud to SOC, enabling better search , better use of resources and far fewer hours spent chasing false positives and managing infrastructure overload.
To find out how this solution can help your business, do not hesitate to contact us, we will be happy to answer any questions.
- Network Traffic Analyzer: an extra gear for the Next Gen SIEM
- The importance of Cyber Threat Intelligence
- Red Team, Blue Team and Purple Team: what are the differences?
- Magecart attack: what it is and how to protect yourself
- 9 reasons why you should consider using a VPN
- The latest PDF phishing trends of 2020
- Predictive cybersecurity with our SOCaaS
- Secure Online Desktop 10 years later: our corporate anniversary
- Backup as a Service (2)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (20)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (4)
- Log Management (2)
- News (18)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (14)
- Security (13)
- Web Hosting (15)
- Biden Administration Responds to Geopolitical Cyber Threats July 23, 2021In response to growing concerns regarding the recent uptick in large-scale, nation-state-backed ransomware attacks on critical infrastructure, the Biden administration is taking new action to tackle the evolving challenges posed by ransomware attacks.
- 7 Hot Cyber Threat Trends to Expect at Black Hat July 22, 2021A sneak peek of some of the main themes at Black Hat USA next month.
- Law Firm for Ford, Pfizer, Exxon Discloses Ransomware Attack July 19, 2021Campbell Conroy & O'Neil reports the attack affected personal data including Social Security numbers, passport numbers, and payment card data for some individuals.
- US Accuses China of Using Criminal Hackers in Cyber Espionage Operations July 19, 2021DOJ indicts four Chinese individuals for alleged role in attacks targeting intellectual property, trade secrets belonging to defense contractors, maritime companies, aircraft service firms, and others.
- How Gaming Attack Data Aids Defenders Across Industries July 19, 2021Web application attacks against the video game industry quadrupled in 2020 compared to the previous year, but companies outside entertainment can learn from the data.
- NSO Group Spyware Used On Journalists & Activists Worldwide July 19, 2021An investigation finds Pegasus spyware, intended for use on criminals and terrorists, has been used in targeted campaigns against others around the world.
- When Ransomware Comes to (Your) Town July 19, 2021While steps for defending against a ransomware attack vary based on the size of the government entity and the resources available to each one, rooting out ransomware ultimately will come down to two things: system architecture and partnerships.
- Breaking Down the Threat of Going All-In With Microsoft Security July 19, 2021Limit risk by dividing responsibility for infrastructure, tools, and security.
- 7 Ways AI and ML Are Helping and Hurting Cybersecurity July 19, 2021In the right hands, artificial intelligence and machine learning can enrich our cyber defenses. In the wrong hands, they can create significant harm.
- Researchers Create New Approach to Detect Brand Impersonation July 16, 2021A team of Microsoft researchers developed and trained a Siamese Neural Network to detect brand impersonation attacks.
- APPLE-SA-2021-07-21-7 Safari 14.1.2 July 23, 2021Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Jul 23APPLE-SA-2021-07-21-7 Safari 14.1.2 Safari 14.1.2 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT212606. WebKit Available for: macOS Catalina and macOS Mojave Impact: Processing maliciously crafted web content may lead to arbitrary code execution Description: A type confusion issue was addressed […]
- APPLE-SA-2021-07-21-6 tvOS 14.7 July 23, 2021Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Jul 23APPLE-SA-2021-07-21-6 tvOS 14.7 tvOS 14.7 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT212604. Audio Available for: Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD Impact: A local attacker may be able to cause unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution Description: […]
- APPLE-SA-2021-07-21-5 watchOS 7.6 July 23, 2021Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Jul 23APPLE-SA-2021-07-21-5 watchOS 7.6 watchOS 7.6 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT212605. ActionKit Available for: Apple Watch Series 3 and later Impact: A shortcut may be able to bypass Internet permission requirements Description: An input validation issue was addressed […]
- APPLE-SA-2021-07-21-4 Security Update 2021-005 Mojave July 23, 2021Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Jul 23APPLE-SA-2021-07-21-4 Security Update 2021-005 Mojave Security Update 2021-005 Mojave addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT212603. AMD Kernel Available for: macOS Mojave Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges Description: A memory corruption […]
- APPLE-SA-2021-07-21-3 Security Update 2021-004 Catalina July 23, 2021Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Jul 23APPLE-SA-2021-07-21-3 Security Update 2021-004 Catalina Security Update 2021-004 Catalina addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT212600. AMD Kernel Available for: macOS Catalina Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges Description: A memory corruption […]
- APPLE-SA-2021-07-21-2 macOS Big Sur 11.5 July 23, 2021Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Jul 23APPLE-SA-2021-07-21-2 macOS Big Sur 11.5 macOS Big Sur 11.5 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT212602. AMD Kernel Available for: macOS Big Sur Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges Description: A memory […]
- APPLE-SA-2021-07-21-1 iOS 14.7 and iPadOS 14.7 July 23, 2021Posted by Apple Product Security via Fulldisclosure on Jul 23APPLE-SA-2021-07-21-1 iOS 14.7 and iPadOS 14.7 iOS 14.7 and iPadOS 14.7 addresses the following issues. Information about the security content is also available at https://support.apple.com/HT212601. iOS 14.7 released July 19, 2021; iPadOS 14.7 released July 21, 2021 ActionKit Available for: iPhone 6s and later, iPad Pro […]
- ipython3 may execute code from the current working directory July 23, 2021Posted by Georgi Guninski on Jul 23Summary: under certain circumstances, ipython3 may execute code from the current working directory. This might be a problem if the current working directory is not trusted. python3 is safe. Tested on ubuntu 20. The following session illustrates it: [email protected]:~/tests/dir2$ pwd /home/joro/tests/dir2 [email protected]:~/tests/dir2$ ipython3 --version 7.13.0 [email protected]:~/tests/dir2$ ls ~/tests/dir1 a.py […]
- Cross-site Scripting vulnerability in Ampache 4.4.2 July 23, 2021Posted by Daniel Bishtawi via Fulldisclosure on Jul 23Hello, We are informing you about a Cross-site Scripting vulnerability in Ampache 4.4.2. Information -------------------- Advisory by Netsparker Name: Cross-site Scripting vulnerability in Ampache 4.4.2 Affected Software: Ampache Affected Versions: 4.4.2 Homepage: http://ampache.org/ Vulnerability: Cross-Site Scripting Severity: High Status: Fixed CVSS Score (3.0): 7.4 (High) Netsparker Advisory […]
- CFP for Hardwear.io Netherlands 2021 July 23, 2021Posted by Andrea Simonca on Jul 23Hardwear.io Security Trainings and Conference Netherlands 2021 28-29 October 2021, NH Hotel Den Haag, The Netherlands https://hardwear.io/netherlands-2021/ It is a pleasure to invite you to bring forward your cutting-edge research at Hardwear.io Netherlands 2021: Important Dates Deadline for submission: 20 August 2021 Notification of acceptance: 3 September 2021 Security […]
Tempo di lettura stimato: 6 minuti Ogni giorno sentiamo parlare di qualche nuova minaccia o vulnerabilità in ambi… https://t.co/nlHWBfE6QU
Tempo di lettura stimato: 9 minuti Agile working and smart working are now a daily reality for many workers. W… https://t.co/FXpigfCLJ8
Tempo di lettura stimato: 9 minuti Ormai, lavoro agile e smart working sono una realtà quotidiana per molti lavor… https://t.co/AVUdOnRQB7
Tempo di lettura stimato: 9 minuti Nel periodo 2019-2020 si è notato un drammatico aumento del 1160% dei file PDF… https://t.co/78xe9tC59h
Tempo di lettura stimato: 9 minuti There was a dramatic 1160% increase in malicious PDF files in 2019-2020. It… https://t.co/kB9TNUmDfE