Event Overload? Our SOCaaS can help!
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
The data that a corporate IT infrastructure generates every day has always been a lot, but never as in recent years has there been an event overload (event overload) of such vast proportions. This is due to the increasing number of applications used by companies and employees for routine operations.
Each of the applications used, in fact, generates a certain amount of characteristic “events”. This data is collected and analyzed to identify any problems of any kind as soon as possible. However, when the data to be analyzed becomes too much, an event overload problem arises, i.e. the analysis tools cannot keep up.
However, by adopting a suitable solution, you can also deal with large amounts of data while maintaining the high standard of reactivity and response of the analysis tools. Let’s see how in this article.
Relational databases are now out of the game
In 2018, relational databases were the best you could get when it came to data management. The size of the databases used to extend to a maximum of around 50GB. Security solutions could afford these databases to provide the space that enabled Security Operations Centers (SOCs), which were generally part of a larger data center. This is no longer true.
As organizations have gotten bigger, both data volumes and corporate networks have grown exponentially , making it necessary to move to the public cloud to accommodate the size needed to store and process these information. In addition to enabling scalability, public cloud services are also providing an increasingly broad range of services that are required to use modern technologies such as AI, DevOps, and continuous integration / delivery (CI / CD).
The support of requirements such as identity integrations and connectors between multiple business applications adds to the huge amounts of data that are being transferred. The number of applications a business leverages today can be in the hundreds , if not more, and all generate their own logs and security alerts . It’s easy to see how frequent event overload situations can be.
This brings a cascade of events into the SOC from a variety of sources every day, requiring massive storage as well as fast research, operations and analytics for effective detection and response to cyber threats.
The operational centers (SOC) of today
As we’ve seen, growing volumes of data, regulatory compliance requirements, and security concerns require companies to collect and store more data than ever before. Furthermore, security monitoring is more challenging as the attack surface increases due to various factors. Among these we can identify digital transformation, bring your own device policies. (BYOD), cloud migration and other modern infrastructure trends.
There are many reasons why today’s SOC struggles with legacy solutions that hinder its ability to detect and respond to advanced threats. Here are some of the challenges he faces.
Most medium-sized businesses handle daily events in the millions . Large enterprise SOCs ingest about one billion events per day. This can generate up to several terabytes of data every day. A quantity that certainly cannot be managed by traditional relational databases because they cannot scale to manage these volumes while maintaining the same level of performance and operational speed. Relational databases, such as mySQL or SQL Server, provide limited support for consolidated analyzes that use structured, unstructured, or hybrid data due to architectural limitations. However, this capability is essential for detecting today’s sophisticated threats.
Analysts need the ability to sift through all of these events multiple times a day to search and find threats. Slow search queries are no longer an option in handling an event overload of these proportions.
The characteristics of an adequate solution against event overloads
There are solutions that overcome these obstacles to better arm the SOC and detect advanced threats. We need to implement a solution that has the following characteristics:
– It is a cloud-native, scalable platform that enables faster search with state-of-the-art analytics and efficient space management.
– Scale resources on demand instead of statically.
– Maintains low infrastructure and storage costs by intelligently allocating resources. All to store and process security data.
– Provides secure and privileged access management for users.
– Offers robust data security and granular control over data which are stored in the cloud.
SOD’s solution to event overload
One of the most advantageous solutions is the decentralization of operations centers. By adopting a SOC as a Service , you immediately get the advantage of scalability. But it does not end here, in fact the tools provided in the SOC, such as the Next Generation SIEM , have an edge in terms of data collection and analysis. . Here are some of the main advantages of the service offered:
– More efficient use of resources which helps reduce costs and provide scalability for peak activity and test environments through auto scaling and ‘dynamic orchestration.
– Faster searches with improved analytics and management through direct integration of the AWS platform with improved AWS S3 access capabilities.
– Critical data protection at a lower cost by using activity and data-based cluster segregation to reduce resource use for ad-hoc research and testing.
Benefits for analysts
The corporate security team can now take advantage of real-time threat hunting and faster long-term search. This is benefited by the efficient use of AWS EMR and S3 together for data storage of 12 months or more.
Real-time research and long-term research combine to provide comprehensive threat hunting capability for analysts .
Adopting a truly next-generation and cloud-native SIEM brings the power of the cloud to SOC, enabling better search , better use of resources and far fewer hours spent chasing false positives and managing infrastructure overload.
To find out how this solution can help your business, do not hesitate to contact us, we will be happy to answer any questions.
- What is it for? Hadoop Security Data Lake (SDL)
- Secure Online Desktop achieves ISO 27001: the security certification for managed services
- SOCaaS and Active Defense Deception Webinar – Guide to the next cybersecurity online event
- Auditing IT della sicurezza: guida completa all’analisi proattiva di vulnerabilità e conformità
- CIS Controls and Vulnerability Assessment: practical guide to adopting best practices
- Kerberoasting: a threat to cybersecurity and how to mitigate it with Security Posture analysis
- Protect Your Business: Antivirus vs. SOC Service with EDR and Next Generation Antivirus (NGA)
- CSIRT and SOC: Differences between incident management and security monitoring
- Backup as a Service (17)
- Cloud Conference (3)
- Cloud CRM (1)
- Cloud Server/VPS (22)
- Conferenza Cloud (4)
- ICT Monitoring (5)
- Log Management (2)
- News (23)
- ownCloud (4)
- Privacy (7)
- Secure Online Desktop (14)
- Security (190)
- Web Hosting (15)
- Interpol Arrests Smuggler With New Biometric Screening Database December 1, 2023Interpol has upgraded its biometric background check tech. It'll help catch criminals, but will it protect sensitive, immutable data belonging to the innocent?
- The European Space Agency Explores Cybersecurity for Space Industry December 1, 2023An ESA cybersecurity expert explains how space-based data and services benefit from public investment in space programs.
- The Latest Delinea Secret Server Release Boosts Usability With New Features December 1, 2023
- Flow Security Launches GenAI DLP December 1, 2023
- North Korea APT Slapped With Cyber Sanctions After Satellite Launch December 1, 2023Sanctions on Kimsuky/APT43 focuses the world on disrupting DPRK regime's sprawling cybercrime operations, expert says.
- Critical 'LogoFAIL' Bugs Offer Secure Boot Bypass for Millions of PCs December 1, 2023Hundreds of consumer and enterprise-grade x86 and ARM models from various vendors, including Intel, Acer, and Lenovo, are potentially vulnerable to bootkits and takeover.
- Japan's Space Program at Risk After Microsoft Active Directory Breach December 1, 2023The agency, known as JAXA, has shut down parts of its network as it conducts an investigation to discover the scope and impact of the breach.
- Emirates CISOs Flag Rampant Cybersecurity Gaps December 1, 2023UAE security leaders warn that people, tech, and process gaps are exposing their organizations to cybercrime.
- Saudi Companies Outsource Cybersecurity Amid 'Serious' Incidents December 1, 2023Saudi companies are seeking extra help in droves, because of a lack of tools and personnel.
- The US Needs to Follow Germany's Attack-Detection Mandate December 1, 2023A more proactive approach to fighting cyberattacks for US companies and agencies is shaping up under the CISA's proposal to emphasize real-time attack detection and response.
- SEC Consult SA-20231123 :: Uninstall Key Caching in Fortra Digital Guardian Agent Uninstaller November 27, 2023Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20231123-0 > ======================================================================= title: Uninstall Key Caching product: Fortra Digital Guardian Agent Uninstaller (Data Loss Prevention) vulnerable version: Agent:
- SEC Consult SA-20231122 :: Multiple Vulnerabilities in m-privacy TightGate-Pro November 27, 2023Posted by SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, Research via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab Security Advisory < 20231122-0 > ======================================================================= title: Multiple Vulnerabilities product: m-privacy TightGate-Pro vulnerable version: Rolling Release, servers with the following package versions are vulnerable: tightgatevnc < 4.1.2~1 rsbac-policy-tgpro
- Senec Inverters Home V1, V2, V3 Home & Hybrid Use of Hard-coded Credentials - CVE-2023-39169 November 27, 2023Posted by Phos4Me via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27Sent through the Full Disclosure mailing list https://nmap.org/mailman/listinfo/fulldisclosure Web Archives & RSS: https://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/
- [SYSS-2023-019] SmartNode SN200 - Unauthenticated OS Command Injection November 27, 2023Posted by Maurizio Ruchay via Fulldisclosure on Nov 27Advisory ID: SYSS-2023-019 Product: SmartNode SN200 Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA) & VoIP Gateway Manufacturer: Patton LLC Affected Version(s):
- CVE-2023-46307 November 27, 2023Posted by Kevin on Nov 27running on the remote port specified during setup
- CVE-2023-46307 November 27, 2023Posted by Kevin on Nov 27While conducting a penetration test for a client, they were running an application called etc-browser which is a public GitHub project with a Docker container. While fuzzing the web server spun up with etcd-browser (which can run on any arbitrary port), the application had a Directory Traversal vulnerability that is […]
- Survey on usage of security advisories November 27, 2023Posted by Aurich, Janik on Nov 27Dear list members, we are looking for voluntary participants for our survey, which was developed in the context of a master thesis at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg. The goal of the survey is to determine potential difficulties that may occur when dealing with security advisories. The focus of the […]
- [CVE-2023-46386, CVE-2023-46387, CVE-2023-46388, CVE-2023-46389] Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec products (3) November 27, 2023Posted by Chizuru Toyama on Nov 27[+] CVE : CVE-2023-46386, CVE-2023-46387, CVE-2023-46388, CVE-2023-46389 [+] Title : Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec L-INX Automation Servers [+] Vendor : LOYTEC electronics GmbH [+] Affected Product(s) : LINX-151, Firmware 7.2.4, LINX-212, firmware 6.2.4 [+] Affected Components : L-INX Automation Servers [+] Discovery Date :...
- [CVE-2023-46383, CVE-2023-46384, CVE-2023-46385] Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec products (2) November 27, 2023Posted by Chizuru Toyama on Nov 27[+] CVE : CVE-2023-46383, CVE-2023-46384, CVE-2023-46385 [+] Title : Multiple vulnerabilities in Loytec LINX Configurator [+] Vendor : LOYTEC electronics GmbH [+] Affected Product(s) : LINX Configurator 7.4.10 [+] Affected Components : LINX Configurator [+] Discovery Date : 01-Sep-2021 [+] Publication date : 03-Nov-2023 [+]...
- Senec Inverters Home V1, V2, V3 Home & Hybrid Exposure of the Username to an Unauthorized Actor - CVE-2023-39168 November 12, 2023Posted by Phos4Me via Fulldisclosure on Nov 12Sent through the Full Disclosure mailing list https://nmap.org/mailman/listinfo/fulldisclosure Web Archives & RSS: https://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes L'impatto crescente delle minacce informatiche, su sistemi operativi privati op… https://t.co/FimxTS4o9G
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The growing impact of cyber threats, on private or corporate operating systems… https://t.co/y6G6RYA9n1
Tempo di lettura stimato: 6 minuti Today we are talking about the CTI update of our services. Data security is… https://t.co/YAZkn7iFqa
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes Il tema della sicurezza delle informazioni è di grande attualità in questo peri… https://t.co/tfve5Kzr09
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes The issue of information security is very topical in this historical period ch… https://t.co/TP8gvdRcrF